Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.05.31, 05:18 AM   #1
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Collectians!

Inspired by the Recent Music Purchases thread, I decided to create a Collections thread, but named it Collectians! to look smart and clever and overall creative (because I totally am).

So the point is to show us photos or lists of your collections, preferably related to the subjects of this board: movies, videogames, etc (I suppose music would be ok too).
Most of my money goes into DVDs, so that's clearly my biggest collection at the moment, altough it feels small to me, considering how long I've been buying them. Here is a picture of all of them:

dvdcollection2.jpg

My dearest DVD(s) is Blade Runner, obviously. The whole package is love, comes with 5 DVDs, lots of extras, 4 versions of the movie, concept art postcard-things and overall is a lot of win. The Blu-Ray edition has more extras (miniatures, etc), but is 100€ (against 34€ of the DVD edition) and well, I don't have a Blu-Ray player.

I only have two rules that I follow in this collection building process, and those are:
1 - Carefully searching for the cheapest price possible, not overlooking quality. I don't buy Renting Editions or Bootlegs.
2 - Only buy DVDs that really mean something to me or that contain actors/directors/staff that I care about. Buying just to increase the collection is out of the question.

Well, I think that's it. I may write down a list and update it as I buy more stuff.
I didn't include any music DVD (like Ringo's or Utada's), but you can see two of them in the overall picture of the case (I'm having a hard time finding the correct word for that piece of furniture...). I might do a post for my music collection later, probably in this same thread.
I'm not organizing the DVDs in any special way because I want to buy a more appropriate storage piece of furniture in the future.

Anyway, enough talking! Post pictures of your collection. The bigger the better
If anyone has action figures collection, post them too! I love to see those I have a few too, but they're mostly gashapon figures, so I dunno if it's worth it.

EDIT: Two obvious films missing from my collection are Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2, regardless of being two of my favourite movies ever and a great inspiration. But there are two reasons: I have seen both movies more than 10 times which makes me opt to buy other stuff, and because there is still not a worthy portuguese edition of the DVDs (basically, they are crap).

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.05.31 at 05:51 AM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 07:00 AM   #2
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I don't have any fancy bookcases like Shinji All my DVD's are on the floor! I mostly get Asian films. Back in the day my anime alone would have been this much!
DVD's.JPG

My PS3 games 7 are missing :/
PS3.JPG
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 08:43 AM   #3
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Bingo you have several HK films that must be totally lost on you...it's very impressive though...Bullet in the Head is one of my favorite films.

You need more classic HK films, things like the Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 08:45 AM   #4
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Even though some are seemingly in Chinese only, they all have English subs! though it is a little confusing just looking at them in the pile to be fair.

I'm a big Nick Cheung fan

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.05.31 at 08:50 AM.
Old 2009.05.31, 08:54 AM   #5
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

The most impressive collection I have is my Sailormoon one, but I think I already posted photos. And it's all boxed up in my closet right now, so I can't take new pictures. :/
Old 2009.05.31, 08:55 AM   #6
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh I know they have English subs, but the subject matter might be a bit too obscure, like Mr. Cinema with Anthony Wong and Red Cliff.

Nick Cheung is the man.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 08:58 AM   #7
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Red Cliff required some wiki revision but yeah one or two are a little obscure to say the least.
Not seen Mr. Cinema yet but I'm sure it's gonna be good, especially with Anthony Wong in it.
Old 2009.05.31, 10:01 AM   #8
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I noticed you have the Kill Bill editions I was talking about lol. At least they look like it from that side. They are pretty decent if you're just looking for the movie, but considering there's one japanese edition with "over 9000" extras, and my other Tarantino purchases (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown) are 2-disc editions, I want the same for Kill Bill.

Anyway, that's an impressive collection of dvds <3
I'm looking at the Mushishi box and Cromartie High School DVDs mainly, ahah.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 10:17 AM   #9
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

I got those Kill Bill's for Christmas like 4 years ago cause somebody told my Mother there was some anime in them and it was well known I was an anime fan I've got all the Tarantino movies as well along with all the De Niro/Pacino stuff and all the good gangster films! though all the Hollywood stuff is in another room (80 or so discs) I tend to prefer rewatching the Asian stuff (which is why it's in my room) as all the Hollywood stuff is always on TV.
Old 2009.05.31, 10:39 AM   #10
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

I used to use these Chinese Dogs/Lions as DVD bookends!
Note crappy Infamous in the background that I couldn't get a refund on!
DSC01355.JPG