Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.25, 11:56 PM   #101
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
BTW, it's funny to see how that when Adult (Otona, as it was called back then) first came out, many people hated the style change and the new band members. People had nothing but vile things to say about the album. After Jihad's first positive review of the album, almost every reply was filled with anger about how much the album sucked. Now it is largely regarded as the best Tokyo Jihen album, and some people go as far to say it is the best Shiina Ringo album.
Somehow I don't see this happening with Variety.
I liked Adult at first, and then later loved it. The only thing Variety's doing for me at the moment is making me like Adult and Kyouiku even more.

BTW, should their be a poll?
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 01:12 AM   #102
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I wasn't around when Adult arrived, but I loved almost everything at first listening. Now I like it even more. Best TJ Album, but not the best SR

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 01:43 AM   #103
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Had a quick listen of the whole album using a k800i mobile while at the gym on a treadmill... there are some interesting bits here and there, but right now, I really don't feel like giving it a second listen, could be coz the distracting circumstances of the first listen , or I'm just not in the mood for Jpop. My overall impression so far is that most songs on the album are a mixed bag of good and bad parts, there really isn't any orgasmic or tortorus songs in here.
Old 2007.09.26, 03:25 AM   #104
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

oh god here we go with the KZK is the best album in the w0rld posts kthnx XD

how many people were around for the release? how many pissed off/confused/upset fans were there? NO ONE liked that album when it dropped because it takes about a week of continuous playthrough to sipher through all the parts on each track, it was ringo's first truly dense record. Then a lot of it got rearranged for HF which pissed off everyone once again. If it is her greatest work and a level she hasn't since yet achieved once more, why doesn't her returning to it make everyone so extremely happy?

Kyouiku and Adult are both dense in their own right, and Variety only adds upon that. I mean, simple catchy pop songs are designed to make you like them, but do they hold up in the test of time? Usually not, they are too simple and become boring, designed to get quick and fast play on the radio. It is easy to think of them like a disease, they spread quickly and usually clear up before the album release, which is why pop artists usually release about 4 before they drop an album. But TJ, for example, we are lucky if they drop one or two. I think Op2 is right, several months from now I think this thread might be whistling a new tune.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 04:12 AM   #105
kanzaki

kanzaki pleased at least somebody

I was gonna post about how much I'm beginning to really really like Kingyo a lot today, as I was listening to it non-stop. And then I gave Sake a good listen (after having read about the sake reference) and...

It's become my new favourite track.

I like how the mood and emotion of song is constantly flipping back and forth from angry Ringo to suicidal ringo to sadistic ringo (kinda like how she does it in Shukkyou). And her trademark fadeout wail.... *shudder*

I want to see this song performed live.
kanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 05:11 AM   #106
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Since when does an overwhelming majority love HF? Did I miss that memo?
An Adult being regarded as "the best Jihen album" doesn't say too terribly much. It is a good album, but until this week, the only competition was an album that sounded like it went through a garbage disposal before reaching our ears .

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.09.26 at 05:18 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 06:38 AM   #107
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

ok, so I mentioned KZK, it's an album worth mentioning in plenty of musical discussions, especially regarding the artist who made it. it definetly did not take many listens for me to get into, by the Odaijini I was wondering if all japanese music was this amazing (and later found the Shiina Ringo is just about the only good thing on the radio there).

and long live kyoiku, i admit it's not as fantastic is adult but when its not kick ass, its hilarious. beeeeep beeeeep beeeep beeeeeep, I love singing along
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 06:42 AM   #108
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

suggestion- Someone start a poll, simply 2 choices: Who loves variety and who hates variety. If the numbers are skewed, there's not really much more to say, BUT if the results are close we can start another civil war!
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 07:14 AM   #109
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Somehow I don't see this happening with Variety.
I liked Adult at first, and then later loved it. The only thing Variety's doing for me at the moment is making me like Adult and Kyouiku even more.

BTW, should their be a poll?
Considering that less than 7 hours ago, the album was just "officially" released, I think it would make the most sense to wait at least a week or two before making the poll.

Oh, and when we make the poll, there should only be two options: 'Love it' or 'Hate it'. XD
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 08:34 AM   #110
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I liked the album a lot, though I -did- find myself wishing there were a bit more melody on it at times. I am still overall v much impressed by this though, the music sounded fresh to me, something one'd think would be pretty hard to achieve after the 223190218 songs Ringo has done.

Shiseikatsu was lovely; to me Kameda excels most in writing immediately accessible, catchy pop melodies of the 3 guys who compose.

Kingyo no hako, Tsukigime hime, Sake to geko, Metro - Loved them all.

Not too sure about Mirrorball, one thing I liked about the JCHI version was the prominent, catchy bass line, and the funky intro which is absent here. This one was alright. I liked all the additional flourishes they added here, I just wish they'd retained more of the original.

Kuronekodo is one of those 'Bokoku joucho' types for me; a novelty.

The rest of the album was all at least pleasant, so I must admit I was a bit surprised to see so much outright dislike thus far. Oh well, we can't all be pleased. I really enjoyed the retro vibe that was present in a lot of these songs. I think I'm v. partial towards the use of the organ here.

Oh yes, anybody with the lyrics, please? uta-net has been rather slow where this album is concerned.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote