Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.20, 08:36 PM   #191
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I need Jihad's opinion on this album when it comes out. He better come back :-p
Old 2014.05.20, 09:14 PM   #192
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I would also like to hear what Tokyo Jihad has to say about this. I'm new here and haven't exactly made his acquaintance but I've read plenty of his posts and have grown to more or less respect his opinions.

In other news, some of the samples are growing on me. I hope they continue to do so.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 01:14 AM   #193
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SG isn't perfect for me because Ringo has written better songs since then that could easily fit into SG and in my mind, make the album more complete (Onna no kare demo, Assassin's Assassin, Jinsei wa Omoidoori).

It's even more so the case with THIS album, with Leading Lady, Paisaje (But I agree with dg that the SAPS version may be the superior one) which I'd rather listen to than Iroikoizata or Futabocchi Jikan. Bonsai Hada's melody is more compatible with SG's theme but I prefer Saisakizata, and In a Whirlwind/A Decisive Three Minutes sound more deadly than Togatta Teguchi and Yokyou.

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
This is an artist that is continuously changing and surprising fans. Please pardon Tokyo Jihen Phase 2.
Jihen only really repeated themselves during the Dai Hakken era . Even Variety, whether you liked it or not, was something new and different to what we expected from her.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 06:38 AM   #194
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I like a lot of songs from Variety. But I guess I should have specified that it was the second half of Phase 2. Adult and Variety were, well, varied. Sports and Discovery are not vastly different.

Onna no Ko wa Daredemo was written for Tokyo Jihen (or at least it ended up there) and was written (or at least released) years after SG. But there are plenty of songs that could have ended up on this album. I wanted Tsukiyo no Shouzou and Nippon ni Umarete, I'm expecting an epic part two.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 09:34 AM   #195
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
I wanted Tsukiyo no Shouzou and Nippon ni Umarete, I'm expecting an epic part two.
To be fair, any version of Nippon ni Umarete would probably pale in comparison to the Zazen Ecstasy rendition.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 10:22 AM   #196
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I'm looking forward to the other tracks but damn, I can't get over how nasally and shrill her voice is to my ears these days. A few weeks ago I listened to a SS era song after at least a year of not listening to any of her old stuff and it really struck me how much I llove and miss her "old" voice.
Old 2014.05.21, 10:36 AM   #197
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ (few threads up) pls yokyou was singularly the best thing off SG.

I really need the full versions of Cappucino and that Smap song in my life now.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 01:25 PM   #198
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

See, that Smap song is the best example of a song not written in her usual style. She totally consulted Johnny's Entertainment 101 to write that hook =p

Last edited by Scribble R : 2014.05.21 at 01:39 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 06:37 PM   #199
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I'm looking forward to the other tracks but damn, I can't get over how nasally and shrill her voice is to my ears these days.
?? Her voice was always shrill. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started listening to her; self-titled or Tokyo Jihen. It took me a while to get used to her voice before I decided I loved it. Not sure what you mean.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.21, 07:03 PM   #200
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

She does sing a bit more 'cutesy' nowadays... but it's not so bad.

One thing I don't like is when they put that weird muddy processing on her voice like on NIPPON... it's like they're trying to weaken the blow of her shrillness. WEAK AS PISS, EMI.