Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2014.05.16, 10:12 AM   #301
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I've recently started catching up on Game of Thrones.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.16, 10:31 PM   #302
xephyr

xephyr pleased at least somebody

This thread is pretty dead. like primetime TV

I've been watching Fargo, new season of Boondocks without creator Aaraon MacGruder (full of dead moments), and Cosmos.

I haven't been swept up by the hype of GoT yet but I'll get around to season 1 soon enough
Old 2014.05.17, 12:40 AM   #303
anonlurker

You're missing True Detective from your list. I'm going to let Fargo run a season before watching it in one sitting.
Old 2014.05.17, 06:20 PM   #304
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'm actively keeping current with:

Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey
I'm only watching this out of loyalty to Neil DeGrass Tyson, otherwise it would COMPLETELY suck. The writing is obviously dumbed down for your average American fundamentalist christian, and the show almost goes out of its way to make needless anti-theist arguments. Religion is counter-productive toward finding out the truth about the universe and taking control of our surroundings? Okay, message received. You don't have to tell us a dozen more times. There's only so much mmhmmm-ing I can do in response (as someone who doesn't necessarily disagree), before it starts to get old. Any BBC documentary hosted by Jim Al-Khalili is better than this. Even though he's the head of the British Humanists, he's not preachy or argumentative about a(nti)theism in his documentaries, he's a more charismatic speaker than Neil DeGrass Tyson, and the writing/dialog is deeper because it's not dumbed down for the particular audience Cosmos is attempting to persuade.

Fargo
The two lead actors are awesome in this. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't have given this mini-series a chance. Martin Freeman's character trying to pitch life insurance near the beginning of the first episode, was simply gold.

Game of Thrones
This show (and the books it's based on) is just brutal. Any character could die. Pretty much everyone has it coming, but you never know when to expect it. Awesome characters, great dialog, great environments, and all-around good production values.

Hannibal
Before I started watching this, I was like, there can only be ONE Hannibal, and that's Anthony Hopkins. How could anyone else be so dark and sophisticated without coming across like a cliche? Well, I have to say, Mads nailed it. He plays a more introverted and creepier version of Hannibal than Hopkins, and Hugh Dancy is a much better Will Graham than Edward Norton. As you get far enough along, this show makes the movies seem tame. It's seriously pushing the limits on the amount of blood/gore and sadistic stunts you can depict on a vanilla TV network. I almost can't believe this is on NBC, and that they haven't canceled it after one season.

Will edit this post (or reply later) to include more shows, but those are my main current shows.
Old 2014.05.18, 03:14 AM   #305
anonlurker

Hannibal is the best thing on TV. I'll be quite upset if it ends this season for good. The Following was another show that started out interesting but has degraded into such comedy that I consider it a guilty pleasure rather than something to recommend.
Old 2014.05.20, 06:13 PM   #306
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

hamnibal season 3 confirmed!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.22, 09:33 AM   #307
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Awwww yiss! HBO on Amazon Prime! Though there are some glaring omissions like Arliss and Lucky Louie, I'm happy to rewatch some of the stuff that's up now.
Old 2014.05.22, 12:08 PM   #308
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Yep, the Amazon-HBO thing just started. Can't believe what's waiting for me. Binge-watching Sopranos for sure.

I imagine they will be adding more stuff as time goes on. I'd love it if they put up some vintage series like Philip Marlowe.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.31, 09:20 PM   #309
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, Fargo has transcended to the next level.

Episode 6 made my heart race.

This is the potential that TV can get to.

The best show since Twin Peaks.
Old 2014.06.01, 07:53 AM   #310
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I'm currrently on episode 11 of House of Cards. Enjoying the cynicism, the plotting, most (not all) the performances. Not enjoying ANY of the romantic drama.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote