Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.08.04, 01:43 PM   #161
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction
Default moved from "Killer Tune thread"

It's all about the delivery of your message.. I stated earlier that I didn't really like Killer Tune and thought it sounded a little generic, but not a lot of people got on my back about it probably because I said it in a way that's not so harsh. And also, I hardly repeat the same sentiment over and over again. When you dislike something, it's okay to state your opinion, but when you reinforce the same point without adding anything new, then it just becomes whining and people don't like that.

The best critics never really hate something or really like something. When it gets to those extremes, they let emotions take over and it clouds objectivity. It's okay to personally feel strongly about hating/liking a song, but when critiquing anything, it's a very rare occurance that a song would completely stink or completely be genius.

That's why when you express sentiment, try to use neutral language. Saying things like I "hate", they "suck", or "best thing ever" are very strong feelings, that usually are said to provoke a response or to be rebellious.

People are way too caught up in trying to prove that they have the best taste. :O
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 02:00 PM   #162
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I feel like I will be labeled a fool and uncritical if I admit that I like some of the new stuff.

At least we are a passionate bunch.
This is how I feel as well. No one is going to get on my back for saying I like a song, but if someone says they don't like it then I come off as uncritical in the matter because I do like it. It seems as if you like the new music then you have "ringo goggles" and thats the only reason you like it.

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
It's all about the delivery of your message.. I stated earlier that I didn't really like Killer Tune and thought it sounded a little generic, but not a lot of people got on my back about it probably because I said it in a way that's not so harsh. And also, I hardly repeat the same sentiment over and over again. When you dislike something, it's okay to state your opinion, but when you reinforce the same point without adding anything new, then it just becomes whining and people don't like that.

The best critics never really hate something or really like something. When it gets to those extremes, they let emotions take over and it clouds objectivity. It's okay to personally feel strongly about hating/liking a song, but when critiquing anything, it's a very rare occurance that a song would completely stink or completely be genius.

That's why when you express sentiment, try to use neutral language. Saying things like I "hate", they "suck", or "best thing ever" are very strong feelings, that usually are said to provoke a response or to be rebellious.

People are way too caught up in trying to prove that they have the best taste. :O
I agree 100%. If you don't like something, say it but someone is always going to get on anyone's back if they say something like "it sounded like she ran a 1k before singing the song".

But this is what I agree with the most: " People are way too caught up in trying to prove that they have the best taste. :O". Since music is all about personal taste, I can't stand when someone thinks they have superior taste than someone else. Unless that someone else likes rap, then in that case you DO have better taste.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 06:26 PM   #163
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think the problem is that people are allowed to say they love it here, but they aren't allowed to say they hate it without getting attacked by Shiina fan boys / girls. This discussion is way way off topic, though.

I think that Killer Tune is a so-so song compared to what Tokyo Jihen has done in the past, but compared to Shiina Ringo it is definitely below average.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 06:54 PM   #164
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Children, try listening to the song starting at 1:43 (until the end). See if you like it better. That part of the song is where I first get the urge to start dancing.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 07:02 PM   #165
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Children, try listening to the song starting at 1:43 (until the end). See if you like it better. That part of the song is where I first get the urge to start dancing.
That bypasses the part of the song I like most tho Fluff! (the first verse) ARRGGHH! =p
Old 2007.08.04, 08:02 PM   #166
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
on that note let me say I EFFING HATE MEMAI
Wow, really? I just "discovered" it in the past couple of months. Pretty unique for her, and the production and vocal work on the track really remind me of some mid-period Kate Bush, as does the mood. I think it a great song.

But it is cool with me if you hate it.
KATE BUSH?! are you nuts? I am a huge Kate fan and yet when I listen to Memai I still hear nothing but rubbish. I remember the first time I heard it I had this horrible mental image of Ringo at a Ren Fair.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 08:32 PM   #167
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
I think the problem is that people are allowed to say they love it here, but they aren't allowed to say they hate it without getting attacked by Shiina fan boys / girls. This discussion is way way off topic, though.
See, that's the problem I was talking about. If I get on someone's case for saying a song is bad, then that automatically makes me a blind fanboy. wtf?

The real problem is that people in this world can say whatever the hell they want so we just have to live with that .
Old 2007.08.04, 09:00 PM   #168
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Well, you are a fan of Shiina Ringo / Tokyo Jihen, aren't you? :p
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 10:05 PM   #169
HEDOfloe

Yea but "fanboy"/"fangirl" always has a negative connotation attached to it.
Old 2007.08.05, 05:06 AM   #170
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Honestly I don't see too many die hard (4.0 !!! ) Ringo fan boy/gal here, at least they don't actively voiced their franatical love and their will to flame all nay sayers, which is what fan boy/gal normally do...

I think part of the problem when voicing your dislike of any creative product is that if you don't explicily state that what you say is your opinion, it tends to sound like you are basing your thoughts on some solid facts, which most of us don't really have.

On another note, Jihad maybe you should take Kuro neko advise and take a break from here when your post count reach 1,337 \m/ \m/