Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.02.18, 06:00 AM   #1
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts
Default Ego Wrappin and the Gossip of Jaxx

This album came out today so I picked it up since Ego Wrappin's been getting progressively better and I had heard a few clips of it on myspace.

It sounds like Ego Wrappin is picking up where Tokyo Jihen left off after Adult. That's not to say they're ripping off the style; they're not at all, and they've been around longer than Tokyo Jihen anyway. They are similar enough to satisfy the same parts of your brain but different enough to do it completely differently.

I suggest everyone check out this album, it may the best of their career and I say that without hesitation after just a few hours with it.

If only I had the yen to see them again.

http://www.myspace.com/egowrappin
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.18, 12:39 PM   #2
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh, I want this album so bad!!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.18, 02:56 PM   #3
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

They have a new album out?!!!!!!! *dies*
Old 2009.02.18, 03:44 PM   #4
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

For now check out the 2 songs on their myspace. The video for Darui is pretty awesome. I'd burn it for you guys but my computer is being a little funky. Also their on Toy Factory which isn't exactly a major label (despite having the ultra huge Mr. Children and Bump of Chicken) so I'm pretty against free trade with no intention to buy.

If your curious:

The album is a lot more rock than their others. I always thought theyre albums were usually half gold and completely amazing and half totally bland. This album is all at least silver. It sounds like they were listening to King Crimson when they wrote it. The songs have very loose structure and change style very quickly but still sound like solid songs.

Red Shadow uses the whole voice-through-the-bullhorn, kind of like ringos koufukuron or Jethro Tull but it ends up sounding way more like Blonde Redhead or Melt Banana. It would without a doubt, be well-received in the American indie-scene.

tracks 2, 4 and 5 are all on myspace (go action is just a littttle different, basically the vocals stand out a bit more)

morning star kind of sluggish and jazzy and picks up a lot at the end.

number 6 (dont have my kanji dictionary right now) is a soft track that starts with just a soft accordian and vocals.

mllion starlight hotel sounds a bit in the same vain of On the Rocks, especially the opening song but it gets much jazzier during the bridge.

Whammy Kiss sounds like dance rock meets j-pop. I don't wanna make any comparisons because I think most stuff that you could call dance rock sucks and this song is great. You'll understand when you hear it.

Gakudan starts off sounding like that one track I always skip but within 20 seconds it starts to get eerie and playful and really beautiful. Uses a sexy xylaphone! I think! Then it starts to rock. Theres a song I can compare it to but I forgot the name

Ok I got some work to do. I'kk write about the last two songs later.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.05, 02:37 AM   #5
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I love Ego Wrappin. Night Food and Merry Merry are terrific, and I was just about to listen to the Best Of, but this came along. Are any of their pre-Night Food works worth listening to?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote