Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2011.06.22, 05:13 AM   #21
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
So I've got this brother who is bored, who has no computer to use the moment (partially because I'm using mine), and he's ruled out everything which is broadcasting right now, and every DVD or Blu-Ray he's already watched.

I sit there and think for a moment, and then I came up with this great idea. He's already watched PE'Z REALIVE's 2005 and 2007 on computer, and liked them. I've also got the DVD for 2008, which he hadn't seen yet, and from what I can recall on the packaging, it's All-Region (unlike a lot of other Japanese releases). So I deconstruct my tower of storage bins to reach the disc, I find it and double-check the packaging, and sure enough, it says "(ALL)NTSC" after the "(16:9)". We load the disc for the TV, and it complains about Region restrictions.

Now I more profoundly understand why vendors who ship Japanese DVDs, try to tell you everything is Region 2. I didn't have All-Region expectations before buying this DVD, but now I feel betrayed by the packaging.
Can I tell you how happy I am that the US and Japan are both BD Region 1? (Then again, I feel like more BD releases have been region-free than DVD releases)

By the way, have you listened to I WANT YOU? Definitely stacks up to their older stuff, but with the production value of 1.2.MAX.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.04, 12:07 PM   #22
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Last night I listened to Sherbets's Vietnam 1964 and really enjoyed the music on Love Jobin Dog (ラブジョビンダグ), especially the haunting piano, then I thought about H Zett M, and then his band PE'Z, which I'm not very familiar with...

I see a lot of used PE'Z albums priced at 1 yen on Amazon, good opportunity for collecting! Can PE'Z fans please tell me if they have more tracks that sound like TJ's Service?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.04, 02:49 PM   #23
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

If you like Service, then you'll probably prefer HZM's solo-career over PE'Z. The band's trumpeter writes most of the songs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

It's difficult for me to say which of the acts I'm more a fan of, because (while I consider HZM to be the most talented member of the band) I already got to see PE'Z in-person a couple months after Adult came out, and back then we didn't know yet that HZM was ever going to do anything solo. I also eventually got my hands on PE'Z REALIVE 2005. When you watch either that or his solo concerts, there's really no questioning why he left Tokyo Jihen.

PE'Z has the advantage that they've been around much longer, so you could probably cherry-pick at least couple albums worth of HZM songs out of all the studio albums PE'Z has ever released, but I haven't been keeping track of exactly which songs are his, because I need to migrate to a different tagging system to support that.

For you, I would suggest you start with the album TSU KU SHI N BOW (from 2005.03.09). You'll recognize one of the songs which was later used in his solo-career, but you might end up appreciating the PE'Z version even more than the solo version. There's also other songs on the album you're bound to like.
Old 2014.07.08, 06:27 PM   #24
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I've noticed on OTOTOY there's a whole stack of new PE'Z live releases (?) for 1,000 yen each- the album art is of the CD only, which makes me ask- is there a new boxset out or something?
Old 2014.11.30, 06:28 PM   #25
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

PE'Z just broke up:

http://page.mixi.jp/run_page_apps.pl...28&page_id=814

Another statement on their site:

http://www.worldapart.co.jp/pez/

Looks like they will continue to tour until the end of next year, and then dissolve.

Last edited by mrnarse : 2014.11.30 at 06:52 PM.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.05, 09:54 AM   #26
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Glath, comment if you're OK.
Old 2014.12.05, 11:51 AM   #27
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
Worse things have happened, like Kurahashi Yoeko retiring after only 8 years in the music industry, when it's not as if she were one of those idols where the performer's age matters very much.

This just frees up HZM to spend more time on other projects. I'm not exactly disappointed by what PE'Z has done in recent years, but their earliest material was more interesting. A lot of my favorite Japanese artists start off with their own unique sound (or they get there after a few albums), but eventually mellow out and compromise their style to be more mainstream or (in most cases) more old school. PE'Z was definitely veering in that direction, even though they still have their occasional moments which remain true to their roots.

I didn't care for pe'zmoku at all, and I'm glad that didn't last long.

I'm sure a few of the members will still work together in some capacity, like with Shiina Ringo's solo-career. What would be really cool, is if she could actually tour with several of members of PE'Z at once, instead of just booking them for studio sessions or NHK Songs. Shiina Ringo needs to change things up a little, and do a tour without anyone (including members of SAPS) who participated in HF.