Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.07.03, 10:01 PM   #191
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

What's Charlie Sheen's favorite place to shop?
Winco.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 06:38 PM   #192
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

There's a 90% chance this has been mentioned in this thread before.

BUT as I was going through all these movie recommendations given to me from different sources, I had been holding back on on in particular- "Love Exposure". Now, the person who had recommended me this had also recommeded me a tonne of lame anime and that terrible, overrated mess "All About Lily Chou Chou".

However, this is one of those rare films that actually took me by suprise. First by it's running time and then secondly by how much better it was than any modern Japanese film. This was a movie I have been craving.

So yeah, it's better than I thought it would be, much better. And I recommend it to people who don't give a fuck about Japanese (teen) movies and have this cliche in their head (like I did) that it was mainly rubbish after Kurosawa died.
Old 2011.07.11, 11:42 PM   #193
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Charlieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Unicorns.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.12, 01:42 AM   #194
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
There's a 90% chance this has been mentioned in this thread before.

BUT as I was going through all these movie recommendations given to me from different sources, I had been holding back on on in particular- "Love Exposure". Now, the person who had recommended me this had also recommeded me a tonne of lame anime and that terrible, overrated mess "All About Lily Chou Chou".

However, this is one of those rare films that actually took me by suprise. First by it's running time and then secondly by how much better it was than any modern Japanese film. This was a movie I have been craving.

So yeah, it's better than I thought it would be, much better. And I recommend it to people who don't give a fuck about Japanese (teen) movies and have this cliche in their head (like I did) that it was mainly rubbish after Kurosawa died.
I've had Love Exposure sitting in my Movies collection for a month or so now...think I know what I'll be watching tonight! Thanks for the push.
As long as it's better than Koizora I'll consider it worthwhile.
Old 2011.07.12, 03:20 AM   #195
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Love Exposure is great. The first half is the stronger half, I think, and sets up a lot of exciting possibilities that I don't think the second half followed through on. But it's still pretty good.

Ironically, being so busy in Tokyo, I've lost touch with what's out now in theatres, even Japanese cinema. Haven't seen Miike's latest; haven't even seen "Confessions." Then again, the only "new" movies I've seen have been on planes, and on that basis, I can recommend "The Lincoln Lawyer" as an above average courtroom thriller with Matthew McConaghey proving once again he's better than most people give him credit for.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.12, 03:23 AM   #196
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, I think Love Exposure ended really well, the emotional weight was immense by the end of it, I doubt it will be out of my mind for quite some time.

It has prompted me to watch more Sono Sion films (I already had seen Suicide Club- which was one of the things that turned me off watching Love Exposure to start with- the other being that half of the other stuff I'd gotten recommended had been rubbish) but haven't found one anywhere near as good yet (especially Hair Extensions- that worked as far as horror movies go- very Junji Ito-ish, but not really anything special). I hear the film Cold Fish is on par with Love Exposure, so I'll watch that one next.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.07.12 at 03:31 AM. Reason: I heard the grammar police knockin'
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.12, 04:50 AM   #197
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

And I recommend it to people who don't give a fuck about Japanese (teen) movies and have this cliche in their head (like I did) that it was mainly rubbish after Kurosawa died.
I think I'll watch it based on this recommendation, because I've thought the very same thing about [non-animated] Japanese cinema.

I love the poster, too. Now I just have to block off four hours to watch it
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.12, 05:12 PM   #198
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Haven't seen Miike's latest; haven't even seen "Confessions." Then again, the only "new" movies I've seen have been on planes, and on that basis, I can recommend "The Lincoln Lawyer" as an above average courtroom thriller with Matthew McConaghey proving once again he's better than most people give him credit for.
Confessions is very good. You think you know what will happen early on but they manage to keep it suspenseful throughout. It is downright depressing, though.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.13, 03:24 AM   #199
deadgrandma

Watched Harry Potter 7.2 just now. It served it's purpose.
Old 2011.07.13, 04:28 AM   #200
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Watched Harry Potter 7.2 just now. It served it's purpose.
? Where do you live? Australia?
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote