Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.07, 11:47 AM   #571
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by merman View Post
in Ryuukou/Hayari the furigana of "choushi" (condition) is the English word in katakana (kondishon) while in Tsugou no ii karada it's typed out in romaji... however I'm not at home and I can't check the booklet now whether it's the same Japanese word (choushi) as well.
It's not, it's a different kanji (体調, taichou, physical condition) behind the "CONDITION" in Tsugou no Ii Karada.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 01:24 PM   #572
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post

Also, there's something very pseudo-mature/diva about her and her music now (Hope that isn't something to do with the colagen =p) which is starting to annoy me.

I don't buy the 'she's not a child any more' crap.
my reasoning is: old people look awkward trying to rock and should make old people music.

i'm still a fan for sentimental reasons. i dont look to her for much rock music anymore, but every now and then a few shining gems surface and I appreciate it. she's doing what she wants now and suspect this is what she wanted to sound like all along.

if it were any other artist making showtunes and vegas glam pop, i wouldnt even bother with it. but Ringo throws so many curveballs, I have to stick around to see what she does next.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 01:45 PM   #573
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Showtunes are definitely not what I signed up for.

You're right though, ShadyNook. The reason my opinion of SR fluctuates so much is because of those curveballs. So even if I become totally disillusioned, I'll still be keeping an eye on her.

Her mid-life crisis and raising her kid through the teenage years will snap her out of this crap though. She can't keep it up forever.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 02:12 PM   #574
ShadyNook

That gal sure knows how to hoodwink a crowd. ha!
Old 2009.07.07, 02:14 PM   #575
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
my reasoning is: old people look awkward trying to rock and should make old people music.
boo.

30 is not old by rock standards!! Jeez. 30's probly too old for whatever jpop forums half this site go to, but not for "legit" musicians.
Old 2009.07.07, 02:20 PM   #576
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

I agree. 30 is just the beginning.

Actually one recurrent theme on recent interviews is her desire to reach quickly the 30's because she always thought that at this age her apperance and her inner self would finally match.
Just hope that she forget this age crap now that she feels confortable.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 03:25 PM   #577
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

FINALLY my hard copy arrived and I managed to give it 1,5 listens.
My first impression is... it's really different from what I've expected, but in a totally positive way.

Sanmon Gossip sounds really classy on the one hand, but also refreshing on the other.
I may write my opinion on each single song later.
Gotta give them some more listens beforehand.

BTW, am I the only one, who read "James Brown" instead of "Jack Brown" at first?
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 03:35 PM   #578
NipponRock

NipponRock is headed in the right direction

I don't agree that 'this is what Ringo wanted to sound like all along' - I'm sure that when she was twenty and rocking out it's because that's what she wanted to do. But I am glad that she's doing something different now. If she wrote songs that sounded like her old albums it might sound.... a little dishonest. Someone with ten years in the business and two kids should be coming at things from a different angle than a wide-eyed youngster. It's not that I think 30 is too old to be rocking out (quite the contrary) but that I think Ringo has always been about sonic experimentation within the confines of pop music, and this is a natural evolution of that.
NipponRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 03:59 PM   #579
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

^ Ringo has one kid. I don't know if she has been changed by child birth, but I think her new direction has largely been in part to her work with Jihen. Jihen has seen the continuation of her alt rock persona and what she has done with her solo name is mostly experiment with everything but.

I think artists usually are changed irrevocably by children or eventually return full circle, but with Ringo I think she will probably remain as she has been. Tori Amos specifically toned herself down and embraced a more gentle side while her daughter was too young to understand. Now that her daughter is old enough to understand the difference between mum and Tori Amos the musician she is back to flipping the bird and jerking off her mic stand, dropping titles like "sleeps with butterflies" for "fat slut." Good stuff.

maybe her son will get older, listen to rock music, and she will be inspired once more to rock out in order to reach her son. in that case, we have like six more years to wait, haha.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 04:37 PM   #580
ShadyNook

i was kidding about the being old part. i'd be insulting myself to say 30 was old because i'm a few years away from 30 myself.

her sonic experimentations fail when her nods to retro music become more than nods and end up being plain mimicry of that type of music. Its not a nod to old music. It IS old music.

She has this album of of coolness and a single that is pure awesome, then this joke music that could be used as the theme of the Dick Van Dyke show ruins the mood. so i hang in there waiting for the Ringo edge to take the musical style somewhere new, to add some grrrrrowl, to mix her wasabi into plain old vanilla...and it just doesnt happen. wtf

this only happens in a couple of tracks so its not a big deal. Passing off a bygone style of music as new again without doing anything unique to it is not sonic experimentation. there is no artistic progression there. sonic resurrection maybe?

edit: not to be misunderstood, I really like the beginning and ending portion of SG and the two songs on the AT single. theres alot of new musical ground covered. but ugh, buckle up for those mid-album speed bumps. i want to rescue Shun from being sandwiched between them.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2009.07.07 at 05:01 PM.