Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2019.06.01, 06:51 AM   #1
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Which SR songs would you save?

Which Ringo songs would you save, if you could change reality and re-distribute all the songs she released in the past 15 or so years?

Inspired by the simultaneous hope and hopelessness that some of us feel for the present situation of Ringo's musical output I decided to make this thread. I wanted to imagine an alternate universe in which we would all still be amazed by (mostly) anything released by Ringo after KZK, or at least we would still consider her good... you know.

So the rules are:
- Only SR solo material released after KZK, TJ can have its own thread. If you want you can even count Ringo no Uta in.
- Don't put things like HF versions of KZK songs or things like that, let's try to think about hypothetical albums with "new songs", which I believe would have been the ideal for all of us
- If you want you can arrange the songs in albums (symmetry not needed), and also in singles with b-sides. I don't think I'll do this right now, maybe if get inspired tomorrow or later.

Ok, here are the songs I would save:

Kono yo: Sakuran - Onkio ver. (as an album track)

Ariamaru: SG (as an A-side)

Carnation: watashi no aisuru hito (as an album track)
Jinsei wa omoidoori (still as a b-side)

Irohanihoheto: Kodoku no akatsuki (as the one and only version, album track)

Nippon: Sakasa ni kazoete (as an album track )

From her albums:

HF:
Hatsukoi Shoujo (as an A-side )
Oiran

SG:
Ryuukou (as an A-side)
0 chiten kara
Futaribocchi jikan (as a b-side)
Mayakashi otoko
togatta teguchi
irokoizatta (as a b-side)
Bonsai hada (as an A-side, released in december)

Ukina: netsuai hakkakuchuu (as a b-side)

Reimport 1:
Shuen no Onna
Kachū no Otoko (as a b-side)
Seishun no Matataki (as a closing track, for sure)
Manatsu no Datsugokusha
Bōenkyō no Soto no Keshiki (as an instrumental for the b-side "望遠鏡の中の記憶", because this song is good and she never did her version of it with vocals)
Ketteiteki Sanpunkan (as an A-side, sorry Chiaki Kuriyama, your best single wouldn't have been released by you in my alternative reality)
Capuccino (as a b-side)

SUNNY:
Kudamono no Heiya (as an A-side, with its original title and lyrics)
Jiyū e Michizure (as a b-side)
Hashire Wa Number
Sekidō o Koetara
JL005-bin de (as an A-side)
Chichinpuipui
Ima
Irohanihoheto (still as an A-side)
carnation (not as an A-side tho, more like a nu-Onaji yoru)
Ariamaru tomi (as a bonus track that comes only with the vinyl version)

Reimport 2:
Jinsei wa Yume Darake (as a b-side)
Anya no Shinjuudate (as an A-side)
Usurahi Shinjuu
The Heavy Metallic Girl (in japanese, please)
Otona no okite (in japanese and as a b-side)
Naute no Dorōboneko
Yasei no dōmei (another closing track)

Sandokushi:
Niwatori to hebi to buta
Ma chérie
Kakeochisha (not as an A-side)
Kamisama, hotokesama
Tokyo
Nagaku mijikai matsuri (as a b-side)
Shijou no jinsei (as a b-side)
Isogaba maware (weird, now I like this song O.o)
Jiyuudom (as a b-side)
Anoyo no mon

Now that I put everything in perspective I see I like her releases better than I thought I did O_O
and you know that all the samba and bossa inspired songs I would put in one album called "Sunny"(an alternative reading of archaic kanjis of heaven and hell, or something like this) with its closing track about soccer called "BURAJIRU"

渾て獨りぼっちだから

Last edited by Lena-chan : 2019.06.01 at 06:58 AM.
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.01, 08:41 AM   #2
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
Now that I put everything in perspective I see I like her releases better than I thought I did O_O
thats because at the core of it all, shes still a kickass songwriter who wrote a buttload of good songs in the past few years, and most of the negative reaction came largely from a vocal minority disgruntled that she didnt make the sort of music they wanted her to make
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.01, 03:24 PM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, big difference between songs coming out the way you didn't want them but still coming from a place of musical intention (Variety) and a place of writing jingles for shit (practically EVERYTHING after Sunny)...

Oh and a massive dip in production/mastering quality too, people aren't just imagining that shit... Sound and Recording called her out on it and she gave a scuttling rat answer to it too. Guess she thought her audience wouldn't notice??? Hell, this whole album release cycle seems to be built on a load of bullshit she's made up as it went along, the more I hear the less I believe a word she says.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2019.06.01 at 03:56 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.01, 09:33 PM   #4
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

the songwriting has been consistently great though.
Old 2019.06.02, 01:25 AM   #5
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

That's one of the reasons I don't even pay attention to her interviews anymore
But yes, good song are still coming from her
and once in a while a great song, last time it happened was Ishikawa Sayuri's single

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.02, 12:08 PM   #6
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Sound and Recording called her out on it and she gave a scuttling rat answer to it too.
I remember reading about this on FB. Does anyone know what she specifically said there?
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.02, 05:48 PM   #7
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The translation a friend of mine who is far more fluent than me in Japanese gave: ''we didn't do mastering 'cause the mixing engineer can also apply EQ & compression! And the clock of the audio won't change''

The irony is that there IS someone doing the master (the guy that does BiSH) and the audio clock DOES change from version to version...

Also, apparently after that question, she got all smarmy and passive aggressive in tone too... guess she wasn't expecting anything but praise or basic/superficial questions about the album?
Old 2019.06.02, 11:08 PM   #8
gekokujyo

anyone have a link to the interview somewhere?
Old 2019.06.03, 04:01 AM   #9
shirasagi

shirasagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Oh and a massive dip in production/mastering quality too, people aren't just imagining that shit... Sound and Recording called her out on it and she gave a scuttling rat answer to it too. Guess she thought her audience wouldn't notice??? Hell, this whole album release cycle seems to be built on a load of bullshit she's made up as it went along, the more I hear the less I believe a word she says.
I feel like we should be reading this interview.
I won't get to Japan before July and it seems like a waste of money to import it to Europe (especially when magazines are easily found in public libraries over there), but in case anyone over here bought it already, I'm willing to make a summary of it. But I really want to read her scuttling rat answers with my own eyes
shirasagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.03, 09:53 AM   #10
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by shirasagi View Post
I feel like we should be reading this interview.
I won't get to Japan before July and it seems like a waste of money to import it to Europe (especially when magazines are easily found in public libraries over there), but in case anyone over here bought it already, I'm willing to make a summary of it. But I really want to read her scuttling rat answers with my own eyes
I have a copy of the magazine if you are interested.