Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2018.05.08, 07:31 AM   #1
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot
 
Lena-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,914
Lena-chan deserves a fucking medal
Send a message via MSN to Lena-chan
Default The Brazillian music thread

After Spotify came to Brazil a lot of independent bands had the opportunity to showcase their amazing sounds to people like me, that wanted to find good bands in Brazil but couldn't because there is only shitty Brazilian music being played on the radio and TV
I know Justriiingo would appreciate A LOOOOT this thread if she was here, so if someone know how to contact her please let her know what I'm doing here!
Maybe Linnéa (from the now dead shiinaringo.se) would also appreciate O.o

Banda do Mar is Mallu Magalhães (great in her solo work) and her now husband Marcelo Camelo (vocal/guitar and one of the main composers of Los Hermanos, arguably the best brazilian band from the last years). The two of them manage to unite the best characteristics of their music in only one project, it's a shame they've only released one album so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61jSSF3Vu54

Ricardo Ravel: this guy lived in the same city as me for years and I didn't know about him O____O nobody knows about him but his songs are great! It's a shame you guys don't understand portuguese, his lyrics are good too, especially this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZhWODEb6is

Soulvenir: These guys look like a heavy metal band with rastafari hair, but they sound completely opposite to it. I don't know if they changed their looks already, but it seems they've released a video clip from one of my favorite tracks. Oh, and they sing in english
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54S9OuJFls

I'll post more stuff later
__________________

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.08, 10:51 PM   #2
Osiris12345
Senior Member
 
Osiris12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: By the Side of the River
Posts: 765
Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal
Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris12345
Default

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
After Spotify came to Brazil a lot of independent bands had the opportunity to showcase their amazing sounds to people like me, that wanted to find good bands in Brazil but couldn't because there is only shitty Brazilian music being played on the radio and TV
I know Justriiingo would appreciate A LOOOOT this thread if she was here, so if someone know how to contact her please let her know what I'm doing here!
Maybe Linnéa (from the now dead shiinaringo.se) would also appreciate O.o
I've actually been trying to get into Brazilian music & bossa nova a lot more these days! Now I finally have someone to get recommendations from! I know I'm not justriiingo or Linnéa but hopefully I'll do!

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
Banda do Mar is Mallu Magalhães (great in her solo work) and her now husband Marcelo Camelo (vocal/guitar and one of the main composers of Los Hermanos, arguably the best brazilian band from the last years). The two of them manage to unite the best characteristics of their music in only one project, it's a shame they've only released one album so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61jSSF3Vu54
I REALLY dig this one. She has a gorgeous voice (reminds me a little of someone like Astrud Gilberto or Emma Pollock) and I love the surf rock style guitar. I could definitely see this being in one of my chillout playlists. I just really love the vibe of this. Thank you for sharing!

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
Ricardo Ravel: this guy lived in the same city as me for years and I didn't know about him O____O nobody knows about him but his songs are great! It's a shame you guys don't understand portuguese, his lyrics are good too, especially this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZhWODEb6is
I like this guy's voice. It's got a very gritty quality to it while still sounding nice. Minimalist guitar and a nice drumbeat all the way through. I especially like the solo around 3 minutes in. What is the song about?

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
Soulvenir: These guys look like a heavy metal band with rastafari hair, but they sound completely opposite to it. I don't know if they changed their looks already, but it seems they've released a video clip from one of my favorite tracks. Oh, and they sing in english
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54S9OuJFls
What a hauntingly beautiful song. The ethereal background music definitely reminds me of dream pop music like The Radio Dept but the singer is SO GOOD. He voice has this air-like quality to it. It just seems to float. The video is beautiful as well. It reminds me of snapshots from someone's memory. Maybe a lover of his who he remembers or had left/died long ago. At least that's the vibe I get. It feels bittersweet.

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
I'll post more stuff later
Please do! I'd love to see others!
__________________
To not know is a form of knowing.
Osiris12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.09, 01:48 AM   #3
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot
 
Lena-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,914
Lena-chan deserves a fucking medal
Send a message via MSN to Lena-chan
Default

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
I've actually been trying to get into Brazilian music & bossa nova a lot more these days! Now I finally have someone to get recommendations from! I know I'm not justriiingo or Linnéa but hopefully I'll do!
OMG
/o/
it's so good that there is someone interested!!!
And I was thinking this was going to be a thread with only me posting to myself
XD

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
I like this guy's voice. It's got a very gritty quality to it while still sounding nice. Minimalist guitar and a nice drumbeat all the way through. I especially like the solo around 3 minutes in. What is the song about?
It's one of those songs about lost love, but the way the lyrics are written and performed is really remarkable because the tension is built until the climax (right after the solo that you liked). The way this guy phrase his lines is really particular, and he definitely know how to control the emotion he puts in his voice.
You know when you realised for the first time that you've really lost that loved person, and your heart starts to hurt, and your eyes get hot and wet, until a fat tear drips through your face? And this happens in 1 or 2 seconds. In my interpretation, the whole song is about the moment between this realisation and the fat tear.
So in the beginning he starts with something like "It's ok, I didn't even liked you. And that talk of 'loving you' was only to spend my free time", but then his voice grows softer when he is remembering the time he spent with his loved person, until he says in a very low voice "que pena!" which is like an interjection meaning something like "it's really a shame, isn't?!". That low voice with that line was what hooked me into this song, my heart dropped, it felt really heartbreaking!
The chorus translates as something like "And in saying 'it'll be be better this way' you killed me a thousand times without any pitty in your eyes. Now, my life I know by heart: I'm in jail, and the world is you, singing only for me"

good stuff
__________________

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.09, 03:21 AM   #4
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot
 
Lena-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,914
Lena-chan deserves a fucking medal
Send a message via MSN to Lena-chan
Default

Now for the recommendations of the day, this might be the most precious post this thread will ever see:

Jaloo: Gender fluid artists are traditional in Brazil since the 70s with the Tropicalia movement and the rise of Ney Matogrosso/Secos e Molhados as one of Brazil's household names in terms of music. But Jaloo brings a more electronic sound to the tradition, that blends in with his native influenced aesthetics (before seeing him I could never picture a futuristic visual that is at the same time reminiscent of native brazilian O.o). This is his best song IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBcZgimFXVc
A little bit of Ney Matogrosso for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1yQpm_1A8

Silva: As Osiris asked for bossa nova I'll present some MPB, which sometimes is thrown in the same box as bossa nova for people who are not brazilian. Silva is the new name of MPB, he even made a whole album covering queen Marisa Monte. This is my favorite song by him, and the MV is hot as hell (don't wacht it if you don't like gay sex)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-rpWQId_-g
And for reference a little bit of queen Marisa Monte (she performed in the Brazilian wing of the ending ceremony of the London Olympic games btw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz56KkYVCYQ

Mahmundi: now, this girl alone is already reason for this post to be considered one of the most precious of this thread. Everything she does is AMAAAAAAZIIING, even her personal playlists from her personal account at spotify are awesome. As soon as I heard her for the first time, she became one of my favorite artists ever, she is pure electro-MPB goodness (maybe this genre doesn't exist, but I'm labeling her this way)
This is my favorite song of hers, but you should definitely check out all her discography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYEK8vOldXc
__________________

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.24, 07:00 AM   #5
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot
 
Lena-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,914
Lena-chan deserves a fucking medal
Send a message via MSN to Lena-chan
Default

More stuff /o/

Boogarins: I clicked on an artist's page on spotify just because the image on their avatar was awesome, and I found the sound was awesome too! After some months I heard a familiar song coming from my roommate's room, and he also had discovered this awesome band and now was obsessed for them! I guess they my fit into that neo-psychedelic genre that became really popular in the last few years. This is the song that my roommate kept on listening on repeat for almost a week, and that's why it stuck in my mind as their representative song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XZ3-5GUv4

Johnny Hooker: A friend of mine was listening to this amazing song and I thought the singer was the legendary Maria Bethânia, but it was actually a guy. He is another amazing gender fluid kinda artist, but he is different in the sense that he makes clear in his love songs that he is singing about love between two gay guys. However, later on I felt a little bit disappointed because there were many rumours that he is actually a regular heterosexual guy who branded himself for the LGBTQ+ community just to be trending, WTF. Here is one of my favorite songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe713DXVF8k
For the reference, Maria Bethânia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnTUdw3nIgU

Liniker e os Caramelows: Liniker appeared very recently in the MPB scene, but we can already say that he is one of the best Brazilian artists of the decade. He is another gender fluid artist, but instead of going with only MPB he went for a Soul/American funk (I make this distinction because there is a completely different genre in Brazil called funk, which people outside of Brazil call Carioca funk) influenced sound, which has always been a more "macho" tradition here with Tim Maia, Cassiano and Ed Motta. Here is my favorite song, but you should check all of his band's songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqfv4Yabc40
And as always, the references:
Tim Maia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyaCWQvOLYg
Cassiano (one of my favorite artists ever )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T_U_v8fV4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aL_SefTjss
Carioca funk (beware, bad music O_O)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4f78FSSgHk
__________________

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2017 Music Thread Lena-chan Off-Topic (Music) 6 2018.05.08 08:36 PM
The 2016 Music Thread deadgrandma Off-Topic (Music) 205 2018.05.06 09:39 AM
The 2015 music thread deadgrandma Off-Topic (Music) 299 2016.01.01 12:13 PM
2011 favorite music thread and more - the thread I wait all year for. Tokyo Jihad Off-Topic (Music) 31 2012.01.11 08:14 AM
The Internet Music Thread TurtleFu Off-Topic (Music) 10 2011.12.28 08:11 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:14 PM.