Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.25, 02:05 PM   #61
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Fukushuu is really the Small Stout Underwater Xylophone.

:-)

edit: am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?

Just like a tv network, this album really does have some programming for everyone to enjoy---and hate.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.09.25 at 02:18 PM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 02:36 PM   #62
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
just to let everyone know,

I got my copy of Variety this morning. At the moment I'm in Boston so I was really pleasantly surprised. Although the shipment notice from cdjapan was e-mailed this morning, they mailed their copies out starting on early sunday morning it seems so it took about 3 days in the mail to get here for the release day (its technically still release day in Japan, about two or three days earlier than cdjapan normally arrives)

I LOVE CDJAPAN

edit: HOLY CRAP THAT NOTICE IS FROM MONDAY, they tried to deliver it *YESTERDAY*

anyone who ordered from cdjapan, keep your eyes peeled, XD
OMG I love CDJAPAN TOO!!! I also got my copy of Variety today!! I addressed it to my job so when I got to work today in the afternoon, they had it there waiting for me! On the sticker in the front of the box it said that it was mailed on saturday and arrived in the U.S. yesterday. It did say to "deliver by 3:00 pm today" so I don't know why I did not get it yesterday. But yea, CDJapan had it listed as "in shipping process" since saturday and I also got an email dated today 4 am, that said it was shipped so I was expecting it on wednesday or thursday. So basically, we got it earlier than most japanese people ^__^. First impressions (of earth) coming soon.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 03:20 PM   #63
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I can't help but laugh when you guys come here posting reviews about how crappy this music is and how you want another solo Ringo album...well, here your getting it, it is in the lyrics
Hmm, I never cared for Lyrics, and this won't change with thise release...

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
edit: am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?
No, I'm with you.

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2007.09.25 at 03:23 PM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 03:59 PM   #64
Mad_Mac

Mad_Mac pleased at least somebody
Default First Press Release Pic

First Press Release Pic Anyone???

I try to order from CDJAPAN because of the 1st press release assurance. But they ask me a lot of requirement from my credit card like recent bill, and copy of it since i use my friends card. Since i don't one to give a lot of problem for friend after using his card and all. I canceled it, and order it from HMV.

Until know it still in order process, not in the shipment yet, and I'm not sure i will get the 1st press release or Not.

SO FREAKING FRUSTATING

ps: And i have to resist the internet leak.ARRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Mad_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 04:32 PM   #65
HEDOfloe

"EVERYTHING IS LOOOVE"!!!!!

Jeeezzzzzz I really loved this album after my first listen. It was mind-bottling . It's a lot better than I expected. I guess all the pessimism here had gotten to me just a bit. The band's sound is so unique and here it is put even more on display. I really agree with the band calling it a "master piece" because as frenetic and all over the place as the instruments sound, I think they found a way to really put it together to fit nicely. I only heard it once so far so I'm not sure where I will rank it amongst the other two albums, but I'm positive that I like it at least just as much as the other two. I'll say more about the specific songs after more listens. It really is an eargasm

Originally Posted by HappySlyme View Post
man oh man! those sample clips from whatever site it was didn't do variety any justice at all
I knew this was going to be the case all along. The songs just sounded so much better in their entirety. I was surprised by one of them that there was a preview for (I did not pay so much attention to the titles) when the part from the preview popped up. It was like a sort of deja vu because the I did not know it was the song from the beginning and when the chorus popped up I was so surprised.

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Mirrorball is better than the JCHI version (which I never liked), but it's still meh. Shiseikatsu is a very crappy version of Superstar.
Superstar? Are you serious?

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Lets start with generalities: good choruses: they don’t exist here. A “horrible” album: it’s not – but as I say that, I have to address from the fan in me. This album, is not anything I want to listen to. If this were some other band, I would not have even given two thoughts about it’s existence. But because I thought greatness would ensue one upon a time, I feel obligated. I think this is a pseudo-intellectual wannabe pop album with no melodies per se or even “hooks” necessarily. It’s a shame Jihen seems to pretend they make more than “just fuckin’ music.” Shiina solo used to carry herself off like she was just making songs, and hopefully trying to make some good ones here and there. But now it’s like “oh, lets pretend we can raise IQs by music” or lets make pop classy! Or whatever – but of course, whats worse is when people actually buy into it. It should just be fuckin music, you cant go out actively trying to do anything intra-personal with it. If its good enough, it will have a mind of it’s own.
I do not know where you are getting these feelings from. I think this is the most playful album they have made and not intellectual at all. It sounds like they were fucking around a lot more than trying to make you really dive into the music and "learn" something.

I also thought the choruses were very easy to follow along with even the first time listening, unlike OSCA and killer tune which took some getting familiarity with at first (which I guess is why they are such good songs).

Bjork, im not so familiar with, but to me she changes and does different on top of different things because thats just her schtick.
The album title is misleading. The variety of music here is no different from anything SR or TJ have done in the past. She/they have been doing variety from day one.
Just as shady said, they have always done a variety of music, I'd say to just compare the first two albums but you do not think they differ too much anyway. How come its Bjork's "schtick" but not TJs if they always made different kinds of music? Bjork is always Bjork even when she tries something new and I think the same goes for TJ. This album, I think, has many new sounds that they have not incorporated into their other music, but I still feel it just sounds like them. If you just had the instrumentals without Ringo's voice, I think you would be able to say it was TJ who played these songs.

Shiseikatsu is proof that (with Blackout before) the band still has to rehash Kyoiku-era songs.
For the bajillionth time, how does Blackout sound like Sounan?! They are NOTHING alike. Neither do Shiseikatsu and Superstar. How do you get this comparison? Do you think they have similar bass lines, guitar riffs, lyrics? I do not get this.

in the picture everyone has seen the actual shot of the cover and back end are a slip over that fits over the cd casing. this is a really nice touch because when you slip it off you are assaulted by a cover or pure hot pink and black checkboard, continuing to the spine and inside both the back of the booklet, the cd, and the back of the back cover the same, meaning complete and total pink and black (I really like this)
I was very happy with the packaging as well. I thought it was really cool since the picture for the cover was on that "sock" sleeve that it let the rest of the cd case be in that crazy pink, checkered pattern. Really cool.

am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?
I really like this song also.

EDIT: Only in Variety could you hear a song like Fukushuu be followed by Boutomin

EDIT 2: It's funny that the icon displayed for Fukushuu in the booklet is a mirrorball getting stabbed . I guess it means that it's not more fun and games like Mirrorball was

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.25 at 04:38 PM.
Old 2007.09.25, 05:05 PM   #66
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Superstar? Are you serious?
I wouldn't be serious because? (I'm mainly talking about the end of the song).

Okay, so I don't necessarily think Variety is a bad album. I'm just not liking it at the moment.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 05:06 PM   #67
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

lol at "masterpiece"

i think thats all that needs to be said =P
Old 2007.09.25, 05:21 PM   #68
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh, I would forever be in debt to anyone who could remove the guitar solo from Kingyo no Hako successfully (like have the two loose ends blend together or something).

Should I be requesting this elsewhere?
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 05:23 PM   #69
HEDOfloe

lol at "masterpiece"

i think thats all that needs to be said =P
Good way to dodge my question. Real smoooth.

Oh, I would forever be in debt to anyone who could remove the guitar solo from Kingyo no Hako successfully (like have the two loose ends blend together or something).

Should I be requesting this elsewhere?
Dude!!!! I love that part .

EDIT:
I wouldn't be serious because? (I'm mainly talking about the end of the song).
If you are going to say one part of the song is like a weaker part of another, then you should be specific and not generalize a whole song like that.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.25 at 05:38 PM.
Old 2007.09.25, 05:46 PM   #70
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

My CD came in before lunch, so I I've had time to have a few listens.

Songs I dislike:

Mirror Ball - I didn't like it in JCHI and I don't like it now, the chorus is what gets me.
Kronekodow - I get that the album has the whole different styles/scenarios schtick going on, but the cartoony sound goes too far for my taste.
Boutomin and SSAW - Both have some fundemental quality that rubs me the wrong way, they feel like fleshed out versions of elevator music.

Songs I can live with:

Ramp - The song's OK, it just doesn't build up to anything, it just is, and therefore I shall let it lie. I don't get what is manly about though.
Shiseikatsu - I can see some resemblance to Superstar, and I too think Superstar is better, but I don't get all the hate for this song. It's a good enough ballad, I just don't like ballads much. The chorus reminds me of Kom, susser Tod from the Evangelion movie.
OSCA - I initially disliked this song quite a bit, but it grew on me. I got the idea in my head that heavier guitar played similarly to it's current style would have made for a contrast that would have improved the song, oh well.
Fukushu - This, like Kronekodow, seems to me like an entry forced too much into the niche it's supposed to have in the album. However, it's played well and I happen to be biased towards this particular sound.
Sake to Geko - See Ramp.

Songs I like:

Kingyo no Hako - This barely made my 'like' list. I enjoyed the guitar, but the organ just sounded out of place.
Killer Tune - Another one I was on the fence about for a bit, this one because of Ringo's singing in the chorus. In the end I found that it doesn't really bother me that much unless I'm sitting just listening, giving the song undivided attention. I do like how the music flows, despite little guitar solo.
Tsukigime-hime - I'm comfortable with calling this the Sounan of this album. All of the instruments seem to be in their sweet spot and the song sort of adds more layers as it progresses. I like how Ringo's voice briefly goes from slightly whiny and forlorn to dark and aloof right before the chorus.
Metro - I knew I would like this just from the preview. I guess it's my guilty pleasure, seeing the other responses to this song. I dig the chill feel, like I should be cruising the freeway at 3 in the morning, or sitting at a lounge sipping a martini with some friends. I like the filter used on Ringo, it works really well for her voice, and I like how the general sound becomes a bit more organic towards the end.

Overall, the album isn't bad at all. Though it's got the only examples of Ringo/TJ work, other than Sigma, that I would actively skip on the playlist.
Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote