Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.18, 05:24 PM   #131
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

these reviews are made for people outside japan who know sh-- about japanese music or its culture. They try to fit japanese music into the America mainstream scene-like reviews with phrases like "refold after-dinner jazz into an urgent rush of smoke and paranoia", wth! It sounds like they know nothing about the band itself, this review should be ignored D:

@bromithia: I LOVE your signature

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.18, 05:31 PM   #132
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

^ I haven't noticed.

re:review
The guy also wrote that disagreeable Variety review, so...

So I gave Sports another listen, I'll post my impressions tomorrow.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.18, 05:43 PM   #133
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the only reason that review is worth reading is cuz it gives a first glimpse at the official english titles (which haven't appeared online yet, I'm guessing he is working from the official promo copy, which should have english titles inside). this is the same guy that trashed SG, and based on what he has to say, he doesn't even seem to understand that Ringo isn't in charge of Jihen. its a double standard, when jihen fails its ringo's fault, and when jihen succeeds, its due to ringo's talent. newsflash: ITS A BAND, aka collective effort. what a tool.

edit: wait I take back the official english translations, what the hell was I thinking, I must've been high when I read that.

also random but look what I found randomly on youtube.

UFO + Creep

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.18 at 08:04 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.18, 09:44 PM   #134
kuro_neko

double post but just wanted to say that my cdjapan order has gone into shipping process (I checked earlier today and it was still only "processed"), so I'm anticipating all y'all who preordered should also be shipping soon!
Old 2010.02.19, 02:24 AM   #135
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I was like 'DAMN! is that something negative in a Japanese music review!?" then I realized it was written in english in an english newspaper. I don't have any criticism for the way they do their reviews since its an english newspaper made most for english speakers in japan. I dont think its a great review but I dont have any problems with it other than he doesnt seem to know a TON about jihen but he knows enough...how much can you expect a reviewer to know, they probably have to listen to and know sooooo much music.

!! I want to see more old old videos, the older the better. Someone point me!
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 06:55 AM   #136
mae

mae is headed in the right direction

kuro neko: is that a cover from Pink Lady? I didn't know she did it! I knew her Creep cover but it's the first time I listen to her Ufo version and I loved it!! thank you for posting it...
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 07:23 AM   #137
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by mae View Post
kuro neko: is that a cover from Pink Lady? I didn't know she did it! I knew her Creep cover but it's the first time I listen to her Ufo version and I loved it!! thank you for posting it...
yeah, Shiina covers UFO quite a bit, actuall, she did a lot earlier in her career, but more recently she has worked into in various other songs, such as a weird Jazz a Gogo-UFO-Honnou medley she did with Jihen at a summer festival she did a few years ago. She also put part of UFO in the middle of Jazz a Go Go on Utaite Myouri, although you really have to know where to look to find it (because it blends in so well with the rest of the song), but its mostly just the melody and some scatting towards the middle/end of the song.
Old 2010.02.19, 07:35 AM   #138
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

Sweet Spot is sinking in now, it sounds real good to me, coulda used a louder sounding rimshot tho
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 09:56 AM   #139
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It's time for Lena's review /o/
this album is better than I expected... since I was expecting a shittier Variety
as some people here... I feel this album could be from whatever j-pop band
I feel like it's just some random thing that I downloaded on jpopsuki, is not bad enough to me delete it, but not good enough for me to put it in my favorite songs's folder (where are all the stuff released by SR until shuraba single)
I think it was gekokujou who said that she couldn't imagine Sports's songs sung by Ai Otsuka, Mika Nakashima, Tomiko or Tommy
but I perfectly imagine... it even sounds more natural than SR singing these songs IMO
if SR always wanted to do an album like Sports, good, I'm really happy for her as a person that I admire the most. But her (or Jihen's) efforts weren't enough to make their way to my heart (or my musical taste's heart)
Sports didn't make its way to my favorite songs folder.

Ikiru - feels like killer tune... don't like it
Denpa Tsuushin - feels artificial, it'd be more listenable if Otsuka Ai was singing it, don't like it
Season Sayonara - it doesn't sound like SR but I love this song, sounds like Suneohair or Spitz, I'd like to hear a Season Sayonara Etsuraku hen
Kachiikusa - belongs to variety, needless to say that I hated it
Foul - sounds like someone trying to sound like SR, terrible, prefer BBQueen over it
Utenkekkou - this song is for Otsuka Ai or Tomosaka Rie, not for SR, SR deserves someting better =_= it's listenable at least
Noutoudeki - ok, I really love this song and the way it echoes in my head similar to Shuraba single ver. and Oiran, this song goes to my favorite songs folder, and to me at least it sounds like SR. IMO this is the best song from Sports era.
Zettai Zetsumei - I like this song, it doesn't sounds like SR... sounds like a shibuya kei song that I have and can't remember the name of the song or artist >_<
Fair - sounds like Adult... but I like it
Noriki - ok... now this sound like Ai Otsuka and Spitz together, listenable
Sweet Spot - sounds like Shun meets Karada, but a like it a little
Senkou Shoujo - a happier Superstar, always skip it
Kimaru - I declare this song together with Gaman the freshiest songs in this Sports era, I like them

anyway
this is an ok album comparing with any common jpop act
but compared with SS, MM, KSK and kyouiku, I won't listen to it a second time

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 11:22 AM   #140
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

LOL Shiina Ringo and BOA smiling at each other!

oidQ-bqlgEY

Pretty poor vocals...

Last edited by Scribble R : 2010.02.19 at 11:30 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote