Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.12.01, 08:58 PM   #51
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

@_@ Someone with better Japanese, and knowledge of Japanese culture should explain what Kansai Dialect actually means. I'm sure it'll come up later on XD My best summary is, it's not an actual "dialect" but several dialects from the regions. Osaka (which I think a lot of people just call it Osaka dialect in English) but it also includes Kyoto and at one point in time was considered the "standard" of language (since Kyoto was the capital at one point).

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
That's like, so cold.

I wouldn't call this 'an experimental b-side', though. I think Izawa said more or less that this is in the style of the album.
:] Well, that cant go too far though, even though it does exclude the experimental b-side notion (which I so don't mind, experiments lead to great things) but the same thing was said about SG o: and being a song that (please correct me if I'm wrong) was a sort of a musical summary of the album (I didn't know how to put this :/). In fact I think a lot of fans only felt one or two songs giving the same feeling of the single.

:3 I don't think it's a bad thing though, because knowing Ringo and Jihen they don't just touch on one thing and one thing only, they touch on many things under the same umbrella but maintain that flow.
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 09:08 PM   #52
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

^ not to debunk scribble's comments but I didn't see Izawa mention his track or the album as a whole, rather, almost all his comments concern the writing of the track itself.

as far as kansai dialect, there is an entire english wikipedia on it, but basically it is the generalized term to refer to the specific language spoken in the kansai region of japan, foremost of which is Osaka Dialect. For a long time in Japan everything was done in Chinese, but eventually Tokyo Dialect became standard for literature and the arts in Edo Period and Kansai Dialect was very much a spoken language of the people. sometimes people liken it to a southern accent if your in the US, but its a bit more complex than that. For starts, grammar and vocabulary are different, so much so that non-native speakers, like myself, have a hard time outside Tokyo (where spoken japanese is the same as you read in textbooks). since Kansai-ben has been a language of the people more than literature, it does have a more melodic and harsher cadence and image associated with it, which is why people compare it to a southern accent, I think.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 09:14 PM   #53
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

Thank you Kuro :3 x2! I've heard people talk about Osaka because of its comedians. Also Ai Otsuka is from there (not a favorite of mine but I guess worth a mention?)

I cant wait for the album though @_@ even if I dislike it, I'm sure I'll appreciate how different it is. Especially for Ringo after all these years
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 10:28 PM   #54
kuro_neko

yeah, I think the album will be interesting. The worst type of music is music that is written with lyrical constraints, I think that fact that they are aiming to write music that incorporates a physical response in your body is a good sign. It might mean some silly or mundane lyrics, but its better than having a really bad song written around interesting lyrics. Most of us can't speak Japanese anyways, so the most important element is our response to the music from a sonic perspective, and it seems that they are focusing on creating work with a larger impact on our reverberating in our bodies, which is definitely a good start.

edit: I also was looking at the linear notes and I want to correct something I was wrong about before and add some more details.

After Variety Ringo was very excited to get to the next step, but she was thrust into her 10th anniversary plans, which took quite some time. She felt that the longer the time the more dramatic and advanced the next step should be, so she knew that if she wanted to achieve that she couldn't just rely on jazz for the new work, she needed to spend time and do research. then when jihen got together they all had their individual projects to share and the new single was actually something she wrote and brought as a warm up and practice song for the band, to get them to where she needed them to be for her ideas. Apparently the same tempo but 16 beat would be a swing, and that is how the song got its start. Based on these comments, which I misread before (the part about jazz) I think we can look forward to the new album being a step away from the whole nu-jazz element we have seen from Ringo so much lately, which makes me happy.

to clarify what izawa said about the album and the new song, he said that he specifically put any theme for the new album aside and without thinking about anything, just do, just create, and that was how he wrote the song. but then to perform the song as a 5 piece jihen he had to be conscious of the band and their talent and skills and it was possibly with this foremost in his mind that he started to write the song.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.01 at 10:48 PM.
Old 2009.12.01, 10:49 PM   #55
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Many thanks, kuro. I appreciate your timely summaries of the new information.

Entered the single lottery, hoping for a couple Nagoya tickets! (fingers crossed)
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 10:56 PM   #56
kuro_neko

um, does anyone in japan want my number for the lottery? I can't enter but I have a first press single so perhaps someone can enter with mine?

3min is number 1 on iTunes Japan.

also, whoever said that 3min leads into gaman with the beep wasn't right, on my cd the beep cuts off the same way it does in the video and gaman starts without any bleed over from 3min.
Old 2009.12.01, 10:59 PM   #57
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

All I can say about this track is that there is NO WAY IN HELL it will get stuck in my head. Once again, dig the style more than the song? probably. Its like Jihen imitating Midori imitating Jihen.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 10:59 PM   #58
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
um, does anyone in japan want my number for the lottery? I can't enter but I have a first press single so perhaps someone can enter with mine?

3min is number 1 on iTunes Japan.

also, whoever said that 3min leads into gaman with the beep wasn't right, on my cd the beep cuts off the same way it does in the video and gaman starts without any bleed over from 3min.

yes! i dont really know what the lottery is for but im guessing for a show and I most certainly want to go.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 11:33 PM   #59
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
yes! i dont really know what the lottery is for but im guessing for a show and I most certainly want to go.
its for tickets to the lives. you gotta take the card and go to ticket pia kiosk in lawson and apply, or you can do it online (if your in Japan). you need the card but for people who bought the single and are applying already with the card I have my serial number which I can't use so you can do it twice
Old 2009.12.01, 11:42 PM   #60
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I guess I have to start scouring yahoo auctions, then? =X

Anyway, I don't know what she means when she had to do research?' Anyway, that the interview says that 3min is a warm-up to get the band where she needs them to be, and the fact that the 'next step' had to be more dramatic and not just jazz sucks, because reading that has just made me build up a set of high, unrealistic expectations which will probably defeat me in the end =P

And Superficial Fan, Sun Ra is another one of those musicians that I've been *meaning* to get into.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote