Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.12.29, 10:41 PM   #91
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

That song she did with Maboroshi is a guilty pleasure. The ’yeah yeahs’ are as cheesy as hell, but when SR sings (Deyonnas) around them at the end of the song it becomes surprisingly intense. Kind of like Boutomin. And Gips. I think it has more oomph than Ryuukou, even though the latter is cooler conceptually.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.04, 07:02 AM   #92
Kuroneko

Kuroneko probably pissed somebody off

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Adult as a whole...
Specifically Yuki-guni (which straight up made me cry the first time I listened to it), and Blackout (which I firmly believe is as related to Sounan as, say, Jusui Negai ie not that similar at all)

Also, Virgina Line Gunjou is really great. As was Discovery Handsome Sugite (when Shiian wails on the tambourine...)
Agreed! Yukiguni and Blackout are musical perfection. Adult as a whole is an underrated masterpiece.

Last edited by Kuroneko : 2013.01.04 at 07:07 AM.
Kuroneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.24, 06:12 AM   #93
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Because the overrated thread is just everybody listing off my favorite things one by one.

Ariamaru Tomi: the latest great "post-mortem" classic by Shiina Ringo that she wrote, recorded, and published. I think Nimh was pretty accurate when he called Sanmon Gossip Shiina covering other people's music. If that's true, Ariamaru Tomi is Shiina covering herself to great results. The A-side is brilliant, great hook and build. And acoustic guitar, yes please! It evokes a more refined and mature Muzai Moratorium feel Superficial Gossip i was never quite as high on as others, but now that the dust has settled, it's quite a good song. Its a literal flip side, a more "fun and accessible" song using KZK's building blocks. Where Ariamaru was graceful and sleek, Superficial Gossip is ornate and busy. Perhaps the reason we all overlook this single today is because of it's pleasing, Shiina Ringo-Classic sound. There's nothing to bitch about like there is on the releases that surrounded it. No questionable decisions, no element shoehorned in to be derided or praised for the effort. Just good music that we had come to expect. Though only two songs, it was always Sanmon Gossip's better half.
Old 2013.07.24, 06:42 AM   #94
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Or people just overlook this single because, well, it's a single that isn't on an album. Same with Mayonaka wa Junketsu... awesome little package right there yet barely anyone seems to mention it. Ringo no Uta solo/proper version suffers the same fate because most people only mention the much less impressive Jihen version most of the time.
Old 2013.07.24, 07:01 AM   #95
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I like songs that seem deceptively simple. Ariamaru hits you right in the gut near the end when the guitar solo hits. Awww, yeah.
It may be the least busy song I've heard from her. It seems kind of sad too, doesn't it?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.24, 07:07 AM   #96
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

There's other songs that are more simplistic by her but they are also overlooked. Ichijuku no Hana is the best of the lot of these obviously.
Old 2013.07.24, 07:14 AM   #97
chii

chii is headed in the right direction

-Yukiguni
-Sakana (it's the most perfect jazzy, badass, vocally amazing track everrrr), --- -Toki Ga Bousou Suru (come ON. The emotion. The creep vibes. The ONE live version I've ever been able to find!)
-Kougousei (She played bass. That's all that's needed to be said)
-Komoriuta (The subtleties and the atmosphere)

More will come to me later.
chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.24, 08:24 AM   #98
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Did someone say Ichijiku no Hana???

Damn do I love that song. It may have been a while since I last said so, but it, Honnou, and Mellow form my three favorite, top-shelf, Shiina songs on all time.
(Mellows already been, but I now expect to hear about Ichijiku and Honnou being overrated)

Is it underrated though? It has every reason to get overlooked being such a weird and relatively obscure release in general. Yet it seems to get it's deserved praise, at least that I see. I think we as a forum just focus less on the era(s) that leave little to be said about and instead focus on whether Sports was better than DaiHakkan or not (ugh.)
Old 2013.07.24, 10:16 AM   #99
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, like TJ I don't think we're really talking about "underrated" things but things we all agree are pretty great but just don't talk about enough.

Like Memai.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.24, 03:16 PM   #100
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Ichijuku no Hana has acoustic guitars layered like crazy though. But otherwise it's a pretty simple and repetitive melody.

It's probably one of those songs that only die-hard Shiina fans listen to.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote