Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.11.05, 04:17 PM   #71
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
if we aren't getting that in her current career, that must also by the same logic, but a conscious decision of hers. so are we disappointed that she isn't interested doing this or are we disappointed that she is more interested in exploring new genres?.
What's wid tha we's brah?

You do know that not everyone is disappointed with her newer works brah.

I put the disappointed people down to being disappointed with themselves rather than the music.

Jihad, I am insulted you rank SG with Sports and Daihakken. Meet me out back.
Old 2011.11.05, 04:38 PM   #72
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Is it not of three most recent albums she released?
Old 2011.11.05, 04:43 PM   #73
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I mean, you mentioned them in same sentence brah, not cool.

Guess it would only be a fair 3 vs 3 if Ringo had 6 solo albums.

You're doing 3 x 1+2 band
Old 2011.11.05, 05:57 PM   #74
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I'd be willing to bet that when other artists commission Ringo for songs, they specify, "No no no, none of that lounge music shit, you know what I want."
Old 2011.11.05, 07:55 PM   #75
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
I'd be willing to bet that when other artists commission Ringo for songs, they specify, "No no no, none of that lounge music shit, you know what I want."
Lol then again Shiina tossed Shuen no Onna in Puffy's direction, which a lot of people here actually seemed to prefer over Hiyori Hime.
Old 2011.11.05, 08:06 PM   #76
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I somehow think Daihakken and Sports are more cohesive albums than SG, but you can call bullshit on that if you want and I won't' protest. Sonically speaking, they feel more direct and distinct. I'm still kind of processing what SG was (besides all over the place, not that that is a bad thing, its just a bit...exhausting).

with the people she pens songs for, I think it is probably a collaborative process. they probably tell her what type of sound they are going for and she plays them demos and then they give her direction on how they want it to go. she may give them kernels of songs she had floating around but the execs or management from the other artist probably give her criticism that she uses to finish the songs.

ringo is quite a brilliant commercial artist. she is in a handful of artists who have lasted longer than a decade...with Utada already on hiatus all she has left from her contemporaries is who, Hamasaki Ayumi?
Old 2011.11.05, 09:50 PM   #77
deadgrandma

WHATS GOING ON HERE MY BRAIN IS GOING

CUCKOO
Old 2011.11.05, 10:03 PM   #78
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT BIRD SOUNDS.

LYRE BIRD MASTER RACE
Old 2011.11.05, 10:57 PM   #79
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

God forbid we ever stay on topic in EMF...
Old 2011.11.06, 05:30 AM   #80
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I think people who were originally attracted by SR's earlier music versus SR/TJ's later music hear the catalogue differently, and think about it in different ways, so no wonder we're going at each other over some divide.

Just so I can't be bothered making the same point as has already been made so many times, I'll borrow this quote...

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
SR at 30 isn't anymore diverse than SR at 18.
Look at her early tracks and demos, she had samba (shampoo demo), bossa nova (aozora), punk rock (aozora gekokujyo live, identity), R&B (marusadi, in the same way early Utada tracks were R&B ), jazz (sakana), string quartet (yami ni furu ame), dance hall (yokushitsu), big band (mayonaka wa jyunketsu)....
And it all sounds uniquely Ringo
I'm sure I don't speak only for myself here but when I was excited about discovering her older works, I'd try to play people more than one track, just to get the reaction "gosh, the same person made these two very different songs?" I didn't even have to prompt them to say it. And the reason for that is not just about genre either.

Could you do that with her showtune stuff? Onna no Ko..., Kono yo..., Futaribocchi, Irokoizata, Tsugou no ii Karada, Papaya Mango, Track 3 off the new single, lolol. If she's exploring jazz, she's not doing it very widely.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.11.06 at 06:02 AM. Reason: dying of boredom
Closed Thread