Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.01.10, 04:14 PM   #31
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
can someone here will be kind to translate what Shiina and the other members wrote about the disbandment in the kronekodow site? i'm really interested in reading this, thanks

A tidbit: Ringo decided to disband in November 2010, the other members confirmed January 2011.

椎名林檎が解散を決意したのは一昨年(2010年)の11月、全員で解散を確認したのは昨年(2011年)の1月のことだったという。
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 04:50 PM   #32
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

OH MAiGah...

So color bars really does mean 'going off the air'

The family portrait on the kronekodow page is down too. Geez, I dont know what to think just yet.

must be because of the steady decline of album sales after each release?

well, at least nobody died as a cause of the breakup.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 05:07 PM   #33
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Even though I enjoyed their last album, I'm taking this as good news since the band really seemed unable to step too far outside their comfort zone after Adult.

Hopefully Shiina Ringo's future releases will retain the quality of as her last four albums since she can now pursue whatever sound or concept she wants without having to switch between band and solo activities. If that "Between Today and Tomorrow" theme is any kind of indicator of things to come, I can't wait for her next single or album.

Or maybe she'll start another band . . .
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 05:45 PM   #34
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I don't feel real strongly about it. I do feel that some you underestimate Tokyo Jihen's accomplishments (and Adult remains one of my favorite albums from the last decade), but, boringly, I don't feel like arguing about that. Also, I've been down on the last three albums, despite liking individual cuts, or finding some of the material rescued by live performances. I hope that if Shiina Ringo disappears from making music, she will return at a later date with some sort of awesome comeback recording.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 06:01 PM   #35
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Her new band is saito neko :-p
Old 2012.01.10, 06:12 PM   #36
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

One more tour for me :-) And Ringo will be the fourth Perfume! (lie)
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 06:41 PM   #37
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

surprised because it just seemed like such a perpetual thing, but glad it's finally over and hope Ringo can move on to better things now. Although I don't have much hope and fear it will be more "songs written for other random artists" and "boring ballads for commercials/dramas." Blah!

I guess this forum will become more of a home for SR fans than TJ fans, which is fine by me, though I'm sure we'll keep threads about what the ex-members are up to going as well, it just won't be the focus of the forum.

I'll translate all the farewell comments eventually but here's Ringo's for now. The part in [brackets] is sort of a separate thought, written vertically in contrast to the horizontal text of the first thought, and also in a more casual tone.

この周波数(バンド)をお楽しみくださったすべての方へ御礼申し上げます。
短い間ではございましたが、いままで本当に有難うございました。
事変は来(きたる閏日(うるうび)解散致しますが、我らが作品群は永久に不滅です。
我々が死んだら電源を入れて
君の再生装置で蘇らせてくれ
さらばだ!
椎名林檎
I thank all of those who enjoyed this frequency, this band.
Though it was a short time, thank you so much for up until now.
Jihen will break up on this coming leap day, but our collected works will be forever immortal.

[Turn on the power when we die,
resurrect us with your playback equipment.
This is farewell!]

Ringo Shiina
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 06:52 PM   #38
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

So I guess I've had phases of reactions to this news. I was talking with Maou and I thought more about it, and I feel let down in a way. Now I could have done without their last three albums -- that is, essentially, without Tokyo Jihen phase 2 at all. So why let down?

If you notice, aside from Appa/Petrolz, the first thing I mentioned was the original announcement of Shiina joining TJ. This is where my mind goes, back to the original promise of Tokyo Jihen. After Dynamite Out (as well as the live shows prior to Kyouiku) and after Adult, I really thought Jihen was going to go all the way. Even with Uki and Izawa, I thought they were going to be a huge musical landmark. I thought they could make a dent out west. I didn't just think, I expected it. Shiina Ringo plus a stable band that seemed to be getting better and better, it was only a matter of time before Tokyo Jihen made the jump and transcend.

And then they didn't. Whether they didn't have it in them or they wimped out. It seemed they were instead okay with just playing it safe and make safe little pop songs for the safe little jpop crowd where they really had little at stake. Shiina has always said that she wanted to keep it to Japan or whatever, but I didn't see any real reason why their sound wasn't going to progress and refine. Instead Tokyo Jihen became the well where the five of them went to cautiously make money without making waves. I get it, but that dissapoints nonetheless. So any down feelings I have about this is towards finally burying that notion that Tokyo Jihen was going to be a chapter heading in the history books -- even if that idea was erased years ago anyway.
Old 2012.01.10, 07:10 PM   #39
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

If KZK couldn't make it BIG to the west then why on earth would u expect tj to?
Old 2012.01.10, 07:17 PM   #40
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I am happy that Ringo is moving on. I am sad that Tokyo Jihen is breaking up. I am worried that Ringo has not officially stated what is going to be her future plans.

Well, I know some would miss TJ like many who miss Young Ringo. An era would end and hopefully a better future would arise.

If I was in Ringo's shoes, I would take care of my child first. Maybe write some songs while being totally free to do anything... like in KZK.

I would be looking forward to your new song, Ringo-hime!
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote