Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.02.14, 04:16 PM   #31
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The only Goldfrapps I have listened to has been their more atmospheric stuff, so.... no? Her music is upbeat electro-pop with some hip-hop elements occasionally. Lots of originality and energy and attitude. Like if Katy Perry was good. She is my go-to for upbeat pop music that I workout to.
ROBYN MEGAPOST
Album: Robyn
Konichiwa Bitches

Cobrastyle

Album: Body Talk
Dancing On My Own

Call Your Girlfriend

U Should Know Better

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2014.02.14 at 05:06 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.14, 04:31 PM   #32
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ah ok, I'm getting a feeling for what she's about... 'tude.

Yeah, it's better than the usual but I was kinda hoping she'd be more like Goldfrapp's Strict Machine sound- not enough of that around these days. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past/loserville when it comes to pop/dance music.

Dancin' on my Own though... sounds great and closer to what I was hoping she'd be like. 99% sure I've heard it somewhere before too.
Old 2014.02.14, 05:10 PM   #33
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

It's just good pop music, I guess. I really love it when she raps though. She has a impressive flow, Swedish or not. But yeah, it's not electroclash like Strict Machine. Plenty of other bands that have that sound though.

I kind of like Strict Machine but I would prefer if Goldfrapp stuck with the more atmospheric moody stuff.

Robyn is a real treat though, especially because she doesn't work with the typical pop producers even though 90% of them are Swedes.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.15, 08:56 AM   #34
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
St. Vincent's new album is shaping up to be pretty weird. Whereas Cruel was probably the only really "pop" thing from Strange Mercy, each song from St. Vincent is very pop, almost electro-pop? That doesn't mean they are bad, they still have that signature St. Vincent jerkiness and unsettling feeling.
I'm going to go see her a week after my birthday. It's been five years since I last saw her live. I was too lazy to make the drive last time she was in-state.

I'm looking forward to the new album, but Strange Mercy was a bit of a letdown for me. I need an album made up of things like The Party and Just the Same but Brand New. I'm not nearly as hyped as was going from Marry Me to Actor.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
@Maou: I'm sure me 'shitting on your style' would have been ages ago right? I'm genuinely sorry if my early posts affected you like that, but just letting you know, I was a different person when I started on here- When I go back and read my early posts I often facepalm at myself (such a pissy brat back then haha)...
Oh yeah, DG. It's water under the bridge now. Just bringing it up to show how far we've moved on since then. I'm not going to wash my hands of any of the blame either. I'm very abrasive at times to say the least. And quite frankly, I was probably just looking for an excuse to take a break from this forum. So I'm sorry about the rough start we had here. Ever since things settled down, you've become a great poster. Though I would say you and Jihad have made me lazy. I used to be the guy finding new artists to share, but now I just wait to see what you guys are posting. : /
Old 2014.02.15, 11:47 AM   #35
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Robyn...***-hag Peaches?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.15, 04:38 PM   #36
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Inseu, had to clean your post up a little bit.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 06:17 PM   #37
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Probably one of the albums that I was most looking forward for the year to has already been released.

"Hotel Valentine" by Cibo Matto

I'm not sure if I should be surprised by the lack of mention of them on here or what...? They are pretty fantastic.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.21, 04:18 PM   #38
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Boris Archive sets tracklists, looking GREAT:

Archive I
(basically the original archive CDs remastered)

disc 1: Volume One "Live 96-98"
-Huge
-In Hush
-Soul Search You Sleep
-Vacuuum
-Mosquito
-Mass Mercury
-Scar Box
-Hama

disc 2: Volume Two "Drumless Shows"
-Huge
-Mosquito
-Vomitself

disc 3: Volume Three "2 Long Songs"
-Absolutego
-flood

Archive II (whole bunch of unreleased stuff, that demos disc is pretty exciting)

disc 1: Volume Four "Evil Stack Live"
-Heavy Friends
-Korosu
-Ibitsu
-Death Valley
-無き曲
-フリー
-あくまのうた
-Dyna-Soar

disc 2: Volume Five "Pink Days"
-ブラックアウト
-PINK
-スクリーンの女
-別になんでもない
-Ibitsu
-Electric
-A Bao A Qu
-泣きたがるスピード
-あくまのうた
-俺を捨てたところ
-決別

disc 3: Volume Zero"Early Demo"
-Loudd
-AYA
-Spell Down
-Nods
-Scar Box
-Mosquito
-Matozoa
-Deep Sucker
-Water Porch
-Soul Search You Sleep

Only 2 weeks to go now!
Old 2014.03.07, 04:15 AM   #39
deadgrandma

So I spent all day listening to the Archive Sets, and they're probably the most essential live release by Boris (IMO). Beautifully recorded, they really show how damn HEAVY this band can get. Not for the faint hearted.

The new material is great- the Evil Stack Live disc is my personal favourite, and features mainly songs from Heavy Rocks 2003 and Akuma no Uta.The Pink Years disc features some really impressive extended versions of songs from PINK, and the opening Blackout is the best version I've ever heard. So damn heavy.

As for the material that's reissued: the remastering is subtle, but it's there- the 'buzz' of the originals (which I'm guessing was from super-loud amplifiers) is all but gone, and the brutal, crunchy guitars are brought to the forefront more than ever. It isn't a revelation in clarity, but I don't think these recordings were ever meant to be clear- nope, this is down and dirty doom/stoner/drone/whatever you wanna class it as metal at it's finest.

Listening to these poses a question that I've been pondering: Why would you listen to any other metal band except Boris after you've heard them? They're everything you need, and they're exceptional at what they do. When they do it live, it's even better. These sets are a must hear.
Old 2014.03.07, 06:55 AM   #40
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Why would you listen to any other metal band except Boris after you've heard them?
No cookie monster vocals.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote