Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.07.01, 09:15 AM   #691
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post
^^^a strange joke to make given that it's not funny and the words mirror what she's actually been doing. The denial stage you're experiencing should pass soon.
I was absolutely shocked and horrified to read that stuff when it was first posted on Monday night, but I am gradually beginning to not freak out, and as reason reasserts itself I find there are some points that I think bear consideration:
  1. Taking the translation at face value, undoubtedly there is some truth to what she is saying. The fact that she is actually saying it, however, speaks volumes. If she *really* didn't care, she probably would have said whatever mindless product plug she was probably supposed to say. Instead, her interview comment could be interpreted as saying, "Hey Coke, I totally half-assed that! "
  2. The second quote, in which she disavows ever having said that she would not release any music that she didn't feel was perfect, certainly ties into the above. But wouldn't polite Japanese self-deprecation seem to require a statement along these lines? I'm actually kind of surprised she said something like that in the first place - which incidentally was only a couple of months ago, in her first message regarding the Taiwan concert.
  3. We don't really know what she *actually* said. Presumably Shiina Ringo does not speak Taiwanese, so whatever she *did* say got translated at least once prior to being published in Vogue. Then it was translated to English. If Google Translate or some similar engine was used as part of that process, that would compound any potential mistranslations - especially as Google Translate only detects "Chinese" and does not account for any local dialectical variations.
  4. Sometimes there is a bigger picture. If she is as big an advocate for Japanese culture as she would appear, and if she wants to maintain her relevance so that she can continue advocate for things like her Tokyo Expo/arts center, then she has got to stay in the public eye, even if that means (reluctantly, I think) selling her soul a bit to do it. I don't necessarily like the result, but I can at least understand the rationale.
  5. I know I keep repeating myself on this, but I firmly believe that at heart she just wants to be in a band. She has talked many times, even recently, about how much she absolutely loves to perform. The pressure of dealing with her label and her management company and all of the other "grown up" responsibilities that come with that surely must take a great toll on her spirit.
  6. Building on the above, it seems like a lot of the changes came about after Universal bought out EMI. It is entirely possible, likely even, that she is fighting with her new management and/or they are making demands of her that EMI didn't.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.07.01 at 09:55 AM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.01, 01:27 PM   #692
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
[*]We don't really know what she *actually* said. Presumably Shiina Ringo does not speak Taiwanese, so whatever she *did* say got translated at least once prior to being published in Vogue. Then it was translated to English. If Google Translate or some similar engine was used as part of that process, that would compound any potential mistranslations - especially as Google Translate only detects "Chinese" and does not account for any local dialectical variations.
Just a note on this. The majority of Taiwan speaks Mandarin Chinese. It's the official language. Of course, there are slight variations on accents and different dialects, but anyone that speaks Mandarin can talk to people in Taiwan. That said, Shiina likely doesn't speak Mandarin so someone that knows Japanese was probably translating for her into Mandarin.

Anyway, I'm still taking the bolded points of what she's said with a grain of salt. It's too blunt, too "I don't give a fuck about this anymore". You mentioned before about Japanese deprecation. I think it's possible there was a mistranslation of the tone of her words. This quote especially makes me suspicious "When did I say this quote? (The person saying this quote is) Such an arrogant woman." Where she wonders who that arrogant woman was who said that quote. Seems kind of tongue in cheek. To me, anyway.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.01, 01:36 PM   #693
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Just a note on this. The majority of Taiwan speaks Mandarin Chinese. It's the official language. Of course, there are slight variations on accents and different dialects, but anyone that speaks Mandarin can talk to people in Taiwan. That said, Shiina likely doesn't speak Mandarin so someone that knows Japanese was probably translating for her into Mandarin.
You're right, but there is such a thing as "Taiwanese Mandarin" which presumably differs in some way from the mainland version. Probably not a big deal to anyone who actually speaks it, but it might be huge for an online translator.

I agree 100% with your interpretation of the bolded quote you mentioned above.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.07.01 at 02:20 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.01, 11:10 PM   #694
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
To be fair, we don't know how she's saying that. She could be saying that sarcastically or jokingly.
I know, it's like all of a sudden people think SR, whose reputation as a straight-shooting casual gal is nonexistent, just decided to unload her deepest self-analysis on the spur of a Taiwanese interview question.

Or.....she's being her usual deflective self.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.01, 11:45 PM   #695
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It's easier to take knowing she's been coin operated since the real Ringo blew her brains out on Konya Wa Kasaragi video. She had a glitch in her system during that interview obviously. Universal are onto it though.
Old 2015.07.02, 07:07 AM   #696
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
You're right, but there is such a thing as "Taiwanese Mandarin" which presumably differs in some way from the mainland version. Probably not a big deal to anyone who actually speaks it, but it might be huge for an online translator.

I agree 100% with your interpretation of the bolded quote you mentioned above.
Wait, I KNOW CHINESE and I translated it... But then, it is possible to note that Vogue TW did a bad interview, seeing that she was losing her focus in the interview.

And, a good news, Ringo Collector! Universal Taiwan Re-release her solo albums till Heisei Fuuzoku, and marked them as "Limited and affordable Re-release", which marked them around 13 USD to sell.

EDIT: the official post for the re-release in their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Umusic.JKPO...53494660027450

Last edited by harry4567 : 2015.07.02 at 07:14 AM.
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.02, 08:33 AM   #697
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by harry4567 View Post
Wait, I KNOW CHINESE and I translated it... But then, it is possible to note that Vogue TW did a bad interview, seeing that she was losing her focus in the interview.
I am sorry, I stand corrected. No offense intended.
Old 2015.07.02, 02:32 PM   #698
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The bold part does not mean anything really except Ringo being modest, that's normal for Asians. Moreover, would anyone remember anything they said when they were young, and then stick it those words for the rest of their lives? That's silly. Plus women always change they minds, I know women who share articles on social media all the time, yet never read anything themselves, and don't even remember sharing.

So in all seriousness, stop giving a shit about anything Ringo says. How can anyone trust a woman who denies to be herself when caught walking on a street with a stroller. If anything she said stirs up any unpleasant emotions in you, you're a sucker. ;P,
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.02, 04:23 PM   #699
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Does she speak in autotune too?

@harry4567: Fingers crossed those reissues don't sound like the remasters on that Taiwan Commemorative Disc....

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.02 at 05:05 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.02, 05:59 PM   #700
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Actually re:mastering. I recently had the chance to listen to SUNNY through a pair of different earphones (Final Audio Design Heaven IVs) from the ones I usually use (B&W), and it sounded 2109381203 better. Don't have any technical knowledge of how the science of sound mastering works, but maybe the noise is in part due to the gear they used and it doesn't translate well on a majority of audio devices (which is probably a little silly).
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote