Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.04.13, 03:55 AM   #6631
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

So many judgmental idiots on the internet.
A lot of anime music is actually really cool. Eg. Samurai Champloo. Who had nujabes on most of the OST. RIP Sen Juba.

CLT: J Rocc
J Rocc - Stay Fresh
Old 2011.04.13, 04:59 AM   #6632
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Area - Caution Radiation Area (1974)

1.Cometa Rossa
2.ZYG (Crescita Zero)

3.Brujo
4.Mirage
5.Lobotomia
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 06:32 AM   #6633
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Saito Kazuyoshi - It's lie all the time

Kraftwerk - Radioactivity
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 08:24 AM   #6634
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
What's wrong with liking anime/cosplay/video games anyway? I never got the weeaboo insult, partly because Japanophiles are relatively rare.

For my next trick I'm gonna admit I don't 100% know what a hipster is.
There's nothing wrong with liking anime/cosplay/video games. Especially video games since they're a totally bro thing now. Weeaboo is a stupid term because it's taken on a completely different meaning since becoming popular. Kinda like emo.

CLT

Hoobaa Ooobaaa
Old 2011.04.13, 09:42 AM   #6635
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I actually really like video game music, especially the fully orchestrated ones. like this:

Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy

That being said, like all mediums, there is a lot of shit video game music that people listen to because they don't know any better. Same with anime.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 02:36 PM   #6636
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'm not entirely sure what a hipster is either. Something about listening to indie, being ironic, 'trendy without bothering'. And this at one point, I think:

weeaboos, hipsters, immigrants,benefit scroungers flamers, furries everyone loves a scapegoat to help themselves feel better at night. It's mostly internet silliness with the anime/games thing. My Little Pony, haha.

...Not that thinking Japan is a magical land where super saiyans fly around freely and where pocky grows on trees isn't something you eventually grow out of.

It's funny that -- how Japan has become a real life Oz/Narnia/Hogwarts for some people. I wonder if there are studies about such things (I suppose this has happened throughout time) If you were an anime/video game fan and went to Akihabara you wouldn't exactly be disappointed, though.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 03:36 PM   #6637
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think the problem is that many people think Japan is just one big Akihabara. And I've talked to some Japanese people who are amazed at the rudeness of some of those types of people who come to Japan.

On "Hipster", I like Phoenix, but I was told straight to my face by someone, IN PERSON, that I can't like Phoenix even though their music is good because I wasn't a fan when United was released. I think that's just a rude thing to say, like you can't be a Shiina fan if you didn't like her before Shouso Strip. I think that type of behavior is attributed to "Hipsters", but I think it is more generally characterized to "Rude, Elitist People".
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 06:40 PM   #6638
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I think the problem is that many people think Japan is just one big Akihabara. And I've talked to some Japanese people who are amazed at the rudeness of some of those types of people who come to Japan.

On "Hipster", I like Phoenix, but I was told straight to my face by someone, IN PERSON, that I can't like Phoenix even though their music is good because I wasn't a fan when United was released. I think that's just a rude thing to say, like you can't be a Shiina fan if you didn't like her before Shouso Strip. I think that type of behavior is attributed to "Hipsters", but I think it is more generally characterized to "Rude, Elitist People".
You get the same thing with Dillinger Escape Plan fans too... and I haven't heard anyone say that about Shiina Ringo (I know you were making an example) and if someone said that to me (which they wouldn't, I don't know anyone that likes her apart from internet land and my wife) I would probably roll my eyes and perhaps not even believe them (depending on who is talking to me) anyway.

To me, Hipster=Pitchfork. If you wanna know whether you're cool or not, you better pre-approve your music tastes on there first. Time to crank up your Animal Collective.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 09:23 PM   #6639
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

I know I'm probably a minority here, but here's what I've been listening to for the past few weeks:

Britney Spears - Criminal

To put it bluntly, I've been a Britney fanatic since I was 4. All 12 years that she's been around. This is my favorite song on her new album, for multiple reasons: first, she's singing a lot on this track; second, the flute and guitar samples just do it for me; third, the chorus and bridge are absolutely massive. I just think that if there's anyone making the most unique pop in the mainstream right now, it's not someone like Lady Gaga, but it's Britney. It's taken me awhile to warm up to her new album, but it's absolutely full of gems. I thought an entire album produced by Dr. Luke and Max Martin would be incredibly generic sounding (especially because of Dr. Luke, because Max Martin tailors his songs to his clients), but I was really surprised that the only song that sounded unoriginal was the song written by Ke$ha, "Till The World Ends" (which isn't to say it's not good, it's just completely in Ke$ha's style). It's a really great album, and it's her first (excluding Blackout) that anyone can say is critically acclaimed.

I realize that a Ringo forum is probably not the best place to bring up Britney, but I was hoping I might actually turn some of you on to this album, because it's a really great album.

Last edited by sylfi : 2011.04.13 at 09:28 PM.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 10:14 PM   #6640
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Since you were 4? Wow, I'm only 22 and that makes me feel old. I just haven't considered anything like that.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote