Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.09.26, 12:55 PM   #7091
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

ANOTHER Tori Best-of album!? Ugh, sick of those.

Anyways:
Wow.

I was talking to someone about unusual song structures in pop music, and they mentioned this song. I'm actually impressed. It's a hook song where the ENTIRE SONG is the hook! The structure is very interesting and original. I can't say I actually like the vocals though.

(BTW, You guys may not know this, but girl groups are actually my guilty pleasure)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.26, 03:41 PM   #7092
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
As part of her Deutsche Grammophone release deal, she is going to be a doing a Best Hits with Strings kind of deal in 2012 with the Metropole Orchestra, it has already been recorded. They are releasing it for the 20th Anniversary of Little Earthquakes, it will be a lot from that album and then other songs she has chosen through the rest of her career.
Tori Amos Hesei Fuzoku :-p

Apparantly Deutsche Grammophone have released a NoH 96khz/24 bit download of NoH, more for your interest than mine
Old 2011.09.26, 07:17 PM   #7093
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

really? where did you read/see that?

I'm not so upset about retrospectives in her case because she still releases original work every other year or so. If I had to wait 4 years for a new album and I got a best of/reworked album I'd be PISSED heisei fuuzoku style.

You gotta admit A Piano was a kickass box set, full of alternate mixes and unreleased songs, plus a full disc of hard to collect b-sides....Tales of A Librarian wasn't as ambitious but then again she only did that to get out of her Atlantic contract. They pissed her off so she satisfied her last three records with a double-disc of new/live material on To Venus and Back and then dropped an album of new material (Scarlet's Walk) on Epic before satisfying her contract by releasing TOAL. It is a wonder she put any thought into at all considering she was already knee deep into a new contract. I'm surprised Atlantic even let her do it.

Either way I am excited for this release simply because Metropole Orchestra is amazing and the show she did with them was really awesome so I'm looking forward to some studio versions of those songs. Makes me think of Voltaic by Bjork. My impression is that it is really more or less for the anniversary of Little Earthquakes, but rather than rerelease that album she has chosen to rework that album with the orchestra and add other songs. It'll probably be half little earthquakes and then a few other appropriate songs.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.27, 10:07 AM   #7094
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Whirlpool

Cantonese duet. Another choice besides Faye Wong.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.27, 03:33 PM   #7095
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Thunderbolt

I'm really hooked on the album now.

My choice track :-)
Old 2011.09.27, 07:03 PM   #7096
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

dj shadow ft little dragon - scale it back
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.27, 09:10 PM   #7097
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Thunderbolt

I'm really hooked on the album now.

My choice track :-)

I'm not sure how I feel about Biophilia yet...I think Bjork is best when restrained by a strong producer. A lot of her remixes are quite good and IMO Selmasongs contains some of her strongest work as far as composition goes. Then again she said making Dancer in the Dark was so difficult she'd never make another movie (because of her relationship with the director). I get why Biophilia would be amazing live as a total multimedia experience but as a straight up album I think she needed more direction.

CLT:
Hide and Seek
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.28, 07:26 AM   #7098
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Eisley's The Valley came out under my radar and has been unfairly overlooked. The Valley is the band's most consistent album so far, and very possibly their best. Their songwriting is as impeccable as ever, and I am a sucker for their typical piano + distorted guitar arrangement. The tone of the album can come across as a bit one-note, this is for all intents and purposes a "break up" album and doesn't try to disguise this, but I kind of enjoy that being used as a theme throughout. It unifies the album. The band plays like they have a chip on their shoulder on this outing and helps rough up their sometimes too clean edges.

EDIT BONUS!: My fav Eisley song:

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2011.09.28 at 07:38 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.28, 08:47 AM   #7099
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Just started streaming Feist's new album. Three tracks in and nothing really stands out, but it's not bad.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The Valley is the band's most consistent album so far, and very possibly their best.
Thanks for the heads up! My sister used to play Room Noises in her car all the time and it really grew on me. I'll definitely check this out.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.28, 10:05 AM   #7100
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Speaking of Bjork, I missed the deadline for Biophilia: The Manual and am now sad
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote