Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2016.05.09, 07:15 PM   #191
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It's a genre that needs to get knocked around a bit though.

Have you ever had conversations with hard metal-heads? It's sooooooo boring.
Old 2016.05.09, 07:29 PM   #192
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

You're probably right - obsessive fans are obsessive fans no matter the genre. I've been told that I do tend to go on about a certain Japanese singer/songwriter.

I think I'd feel better about it if the criticism came from within though...
Old 2016.05.09, 08:14 PM   #193
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'm not a Babymetal fan either btw, I just kinda thought it was hilarious that this dude whines about them to Rob Zombie, only to get that response.

And Rob Zombie? Since when did he take metal all that seriously? Dude's a riot!
Old 2016.05.09, 11:00 PM   #194
BulletClub

BulletClub is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
WAKUSEI ABNORMAL have another release next month entitled "VIVI de VAVI de LOVE"

They've described it as a 'collection of richly colored love songs'.

I'm not entirely sure if it's an EP or a full length, but looking at it's price, it does suggest album.

Hopefully they can get out of that bland ass slump they're in with this one.
Originally Posted by chestnutflowers View Post
It's a shame that their last two releases were such snoozefests, they have potential. Hopefully their new album is at least somewhat interesting.
From following their tweet casts and hearing them try out a new song or two at shows, I think I would say to expect more of what they have been doing to be safe. It's not much to judge off of but I'm not sure we're getting the crazier/dark/fun stuff they started with. I got bit by the biased bug and kind love them regardless, but I really wish they would do something like Yukiko.

Last edited by BulletClub : 2016.05.09 at 11:39 PM.
BulletClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.10, 02:22 AM   #195
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

it is a mini album, btw.

honestly, I wasn't a fan of the last one but Anata Sonata did grow on me over time. Sounara Iinonina is one of my favourite of their songs and there's a enough weird shit buried in there that I still occasionally give it a spin. And when I saw them last year, in spite of not being a fan of the cutesy j-pop direction they're heading in, Alex Taneko just happens to be enough of a captivating and commanding enough stage presence that the songs still hit with enough weight. I don't think anyone left the show without having at least a little crush on her.

As for the Babymetal thing, I think they're a gimmicky one note joke that stopped being funny after the first time I heard Gimme Chocolate!!! (and as a fan of metal, cute girls, and weird japanese shit, I can't help but feel a little pandered to) but honestly I think I'm okay with this. A lot of metalheads have always taken themselves and their genre super seriously, even though so many artists have always had sense of humour about what they do (y'know, like Rob Zombie) but those super serious types were probably the same people that jumped to Phil Anselmo's defence during the whole WHITE POWERRR incident. I'm always quite happy to see people like that get knocked down a peg.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.10, 07:21 AM   #196
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm not a fan of Babymetal, but some people are too offended by them and take it way too seriously. They act like Babymetal is an attack on everything they've ever believed in.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.10, 08:53 AM   #197
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

That said, I do wish Japan's musical ambassador to the world was perhaps a shade more... Musical?
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.10, 09:35 AM   #198
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Right or wrong, there is a perception out there that the Japanese are mere imitators or plagiarizers of western culture, with all the negative connotations those words bring. Of course we on EMF have evolved past such simplistic views, but I think even we would have to admit that there's a kernel of truth to it, particularly at the mass market level. As a fan of some more serious Japanese music, it's kind of annoying to contend with the attitude that there is nothing original or worthwhile there - or, for that matter, that what is Japanese about Japanese music is that it's all performed by underage idols in scandalously revealing outfits who can't actually sing.

The problem with Babymetal is that they seem to play right into those stereotypes. I can only imagine how that must make artists like Shiina Ringo feel, who have not just imitated but mastered western music, and who have brought something uniquely Japanese to it, and created something truly special.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2016.05.10 at 09:41 AM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.10, 10:10 AM   #199
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
The problem with Babymetal is that they seem to play right into those stereotypes. I can only imagine how that must make artists like Shiina Ringo feel, who have not just imitated but mastered western music, and who have brought something uniquely Japanese to it, and created something truly special.
Shiina probably could give a rat's ass If she's even been bothered to pay attention to a group like Babymetal.

I guess the difference between a group like Babymetal vs. Shiina Ringo is that Babymetal was marketed in the West and toured with Western artists. The music, like most idol music seems to be, is immediately catchy. So it's irrelevant if Western fans can't understand what they're singing about. Shiina's music demands more of your attention and the general population isn't interested in that if they can't understand what she's saying. Shiina never had any interest in marketing herself over here anyway. Even if she did, I think her fate would be similar to Utada's, unfortunately.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.10, 03:41 PM   #200
deadgrandma

Depends. Modern Ringo I wouldn't put it past her to fully westenise her stuff. She loves cash too much.