Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.03.27, 05:33 AM   #1
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody
Default [TJ] 2006.01.25 - Adult (CD) [Album]

大人(アダルト) (Adult)

01. 秘密 (Himitsu)
02. 喧嘩上等 (Kenka Joutou)
03. 化粧直し (Keshou Naoshi)
04. スーパースター (Superstar)
05. 修羅場 adult ver. (Shuraba adult ver.)
06. 雪国 (Yukiguni)
07. 歌舞伎 (Kabuki)
08. ブラックアウト (Blackout)
09. 黄昏泣き (Tasogare Naki)
10. 透明人間 (Toumei Ningen)
11. 手紙 (Tegami)
Total Playtime: 44:19

Pour Homme Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia

Pour Femme Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
Loire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.08, 09:16 AM   #4
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

No one talks about this? XD
I think all songs are above average (except Track 5 for sure, it is a must-skip track) and it ends up to be a pretty good album.

However

Still, the songs cant compare with the Shiina' Classics

p.s. I'm into Tegami very much though
p.s.2 ukigumall :cool:
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.08, 09:28 AM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Well, I think its better than Kyoiku, even if it really isn't.
I think Kyoiku has better songs than Adult period. Not that Adult is garbage, but it doesn't exactly have Sounan, Gunjo, or Genjitsu.

Howevva!

Kyoiku was made to sound like a garbage disposal for some reason. So the songs just plain sound "better" on Adult.

Adults not without its goodness: Himitsu, Superstar, Tegami.....
I might even contest you that Shurabas good, tho i don't care THAT much and I liked the single version better anyway. Eh, even Tasogare Naki is good. And I still am of the belief that Ukigumowas NOT the (only) guitarist on Tegami.

Howevva' Adult drops the ball too. Blackout, Toumei Ningen. Blackout is Sounans less athletic little brother, and Toumei Ningen was the cool kid we knew in high school, then he had that "accident" towards the end of senior year and he was never quite the same afterwards was he? "Yukiguni" is not bad, its just kind of a weak "reach back" to KZK.

I never thought Adult was her worst album, but shes yet to really crack back into form. Maybe she needs a vacation? Her last one gave us KZK afterall. I don't think shes the "great the more often she works" kind, because the busier shes been, the less great the musics been.

EDIT: also, whats with the "(phase 2)" bs in the thread title? =P

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.04.08 at 10:20 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.08, 09:50 AM   #6
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I can't believe you skip through Shuraba adult ver.! It's definitely stronger than the single version, which imo is a watered down Shuraba to cater towards the more mainstream audiences since it's gonna be a j-drama theme.

When I first got the album I was inclined to make myself like it, but I just couldn't. There're a few good tracks, but if you make a compilation of SR/TJ phase 1 b-sides it'll definitely sound better than this album.
Old 2007.04.09, 08:12 PM   #7
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I respect everyone's opinions, but I just can't see how people aren't in love with this masterpiece. I admit, the first half dozen or so times I listened to Adult, I was somewhat disappointed. It didn't seem as strong as Kyoiku, and I kind of missed the louder, more energetic songs. However, as I continued to listen, the album really grew on me and I failed to see how Tokyo Jihen's first album even compared. Now while I'm a big fan of KZK, I find that this album is slightly more listenable. Anytime I drive anywhere, this album is playing. I've grown tired of it once or twice and thrown in a Muse cd for a couple of days, but soon after I put it away, I begin to miss it. Alright, that's enough of my love story. I just have to say that I find Tasogare Naki to be one of the best songs I've ever heard. And obviously, I'm a big fan of Adult. I need more TJ!!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.09, 09:13 PM   #8
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Force myself to listen adult ver, and the conclusion is: My ear suffers and I nearly tear the disc apart.

Can't believe a song which is originally worth 9.5678224/10, can be redone to 0.45657/10

Let me share what I feel about this song:

Shiina - It's really a hard work for you isn't it? All you have to do is just adding the moaning sound (Ummmm, Arrrrrrr-ahaa) to the beginning+end of the song. And then just directly put your voice from single ver. to the adult ver. Done.

Kameda - I think your bass has joined the Ukigumall's crew in this particular song, especially the beginning

Hata - I'm trying to find the difference btw the 2 different versions. and YES. Where's the PASSION? Your drum' is forced to mix up with the new version in a very weird way

Izawa - I dont like the keyboard x 3

and Ukigumo - Your solo.. your solo.. try to imagine a big fat ass keeps non-stop farting because of the sweet potatoes. You will get what I mean. I like your acoustic FAR BETTER (*comparatively*) p.s. sorry for picking on the fat people
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.10, 06:48 AM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

To concurr with ChichShh, Uki had two successful solos on Adult (the era), in my book, Himitsu and Shuraba (single.) Ironically, the start of each disc.
Old 2007.04.12, 03:42 AM   #10
S_p_h_y

S_p_h_y doesn't have posts anyone cares about yet

Here we go with my favourite album of SR/TJ and one of my favourite albums ever. It's catchy, yet complex, slow and profound, yet aggresive and crazy. It has an almost perfect balance between the instruments and the best of all: it has Ukigumo on it. Maybe he is not the best guitarist who has accompanied Ringo live, but sure he does a kick ass job on the studio. He is not the typical rock guitarist to freak out, he is more jazz and more refined, perfect for this album in my opinion, although I can miss some aggressiveness here and there. Anyway in my opinion he puts real emotion on the songs and I think his guitar play is a key for me to like this album so much.

Ok, this album is not a "singlelish" album, like Kyoiku or Shousho Strip. It's not single oriented, so in my opinion each song on this album depends on the other songs, so when you listen to the whole album you get something complet and heterogeneous. Its like the whole album being a song, if you prefer this way.
I think this album is diametrically opposite to Kyoiku, in the sense that the first TJ album is more rock oriented, and Adult is more..how to say it, more like to listen while driving pacefully in a car at night.

The album begins with Himitsu. I fell in love when i listened to it and its my favourite SR/TJ song. Its just perfect, specially Izawa does a great job here.
The second song, Kenka Joutou fits here perfectly, the freak out song of the album. It really impressed me the first time I listened to it. A must for lives in my opinion.
Now we go with the slow arc of Keshou Naoshi and Superstar. The first is maybe the weakest song on the album, its just too normal and average though it adds some variety to the album with its bossa nova influence. The best part of the song is the "electronic" end. Superstar instead is a great mid-tempo song, specially the job Ukigumo does.

Shuraba (Adult ver.) is the song I would show someone to show what Adult is about. Its maybe the more single oriented song on the album, along with Himitsu. Just great. I also like the single version but i think it was necessary to change it to fit the album.

I don't like Yukiguni at all. An average slow song and as with Kenshou Naoshi I like more the last part.

Kabuki and Blackout are excellent songs and they recover the more fast Tokyo Jihen between all those ballad/mid-tempo songs. Great songs as I said, but not the best of the album though.

The three last songs are three of the best songs of the album, in my opinion. Tasogare Naki is slow but nice, a song to relax.
Toumei Ningen is one of my favourites, its also nice and has a kinda "childlish" feel on it. Excellent chorus :-)
And finally Tegami, which is THE ballad of the album. A typical ballad but I just love it.

Now i'll tell about the musicians. Adult i'ts not the best album for Shiina as a singer in my opinion. She does her job perfectly, of course, but i miss some variety.
Best album for Kameda (finally we can hear it well) and Hata in my opinion, the first adding an infinity of details which fit perfectly, and the same for Hata, who is a beast at the drums indeed, and I think he has a great style between jazz and rock along all the album.
I think i have said everything about Ukigumo on this album. And finally there is Izawa who does a great job with the piano and keyboards, standing out in some concret parts.

I think i have extended myself too much

Last edited by S_p_h_y : 2007.04.12 at 03:47 AM.
S_p_h_y is offline   Reply With Quote