Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.07.12, 09:42 AM   #11
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

You didn't like Sigma, Jihad?
Old 2008.07.12, 09:47 AM   #12
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

did she play on it?
Old 2008.07.12, 09:58 AM   #13
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Yes. Sigma had Tabuchi and SR on guitars.
Old 2008.07.12, 10:02 AM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

sweet, well then. more of that
Old 2008.09.27, 10:43 AM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

I was watching this today, all the way through for maybe the first time in a long time (or even ever. Normally I tune out after the documentary portion, which makes this dvd the opposite of SR's other dvds.) And I figured out Shiina's problem, or at least another one, these days. She's abandoned that "girl power" attitude.

Haitsuiku Status is the most blatant example of what im talking about. Normally in rock bands, if theres a girl in the group theres only one and it's the bassist. Here there are three bassists, one of which is the only guy. I think the band itself is more of a subversive statement than a vessel for music, but i'm getting a little too "kuro neko" reading into things than looking at what's really important.

Its actually a pretty good show. I'm not gonna lie and say every songs a classic, the show particularly has a shaky start. However it picks up around "Takai Takai." Sakesete Mite is one of the most unique and mature Shiina's played (and one the best guitar solos albeit by Tabuchi.) Konya Dafu is just cool. Ad strangely its the most "riff-based" collection of songs. I think madpawn was on the money calling this a hidden gem. It's not gonna win you new fans, but at the very least it has attitude and charm.

Shiina is very good at using unconventional instrumentation and music.

YOU HEAR ME SHIINA? UNCONVENTIONAL!
Old 2008.09.30, 10:07 AM   #16
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I think the band itself is more of a subversive statement than a vessel for music, but i'm getting a little too "kuro neko" reading into things than looking at what's really important.

UNCONVENTIONAL!
you know at first I had a pretty fiery guns blazing comment here but I've edited it because I frankly don't know what to say

to think your doing something so subversive as openly fanning a dead flame by nonchalantly throwing in an insult an among a product review I probably wouldn't normally have seen strikes me as a bit below where I'd normally pin your behavior.

Sure, lately you've mostly only posted off-topic and on topic only to write Variety-bashing jokes, but seriously, so we need to have another confrontation like this, about who started the flame war with who, especially given our history with each other?

and back to topic:

I disagree. If you want girl power go listen to the Spice Girls...no seriously, why don't you look at the lyrics? If your talking about girl power the primary place to look is the lyrics, since its right from the horses mouth so to speak...Ringo has much more interesting things to say with Jihen than she did as a solo artist...if you think she has lost her edge you might take a look at Crawl on Kyouiku, even Kachuu no Otoko on the recent Tokio single. The sound maybe seem soft, but it doesn't hide her casually biting tongue. I mean, if your idea of "girl power" is crappy repetitive noise, then I guess this release would seem relevant.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2008.09.30 at 10:33 AM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.30, 10:55 AM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

I wasn't aiming to flame you, I was just commenting that when you editorialize, it tends to be about the "presentation" more so than the music -- which is exactly what I was doing there. Thats just "what kuro_neko" does, like posting exceedingly long technical bibles is "what glath" does. (Or posting all self-importantly is "what Jihad" does.)

And I do love me some Spice Girls, don't get me wrong. But also what do I also stress? Its about that rock n' roll swagger. Nothing is more girl power than a girl rocking out like any other guy than say, Jackie O saying woman's lib stuff, but saying it in a submissive, stereotypically female way. It just really undercuts the message -- if there was one.
Whats the statistic? Its 60% how you look, 30% how you sound, and only 10% what you say that people take home. Those might not be the actual numbers but the ratio is right.

And nice job at omitting my posts about Zazen, saying the TJ RSR lives weren't as bas as everyone was making them out, and my recent HF posts. Also this post was positive too. The moral of the story: People don't like it when I praise stuff. =p

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.09.30 at 11:11 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.30, 08:29 PM   #18
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

like anyone hardly has time to read this entire forum, let another your gazillion posts, I mean look at your count, yikes...would take years...

I just happened to randomly see this by accident, if your claiming its not an insult I suppose I'll just believe you, I mean there is no point to drag it out, I guess I do look into things quite to the point of absurdity, howeverrrr it is art after all...

I don't mind it when you praise things, I think for most everyone its just usually just such a rare occurrence its like when the boys cries wolf and the way in which you do it tricks everyone into seeing what they want to see etc.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.01, 01:05 AM   #19
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

It is wonderful to see someone praise Kachuu no Otoko and bash Hatsuiku Status.
It really makes me think about the world around me. Seriously.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.01, 02:11 AM   #20
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

To be honest I didn't read it as an insult, nor do I think Jihad intended it to be one. I read it as an off-the-cuff remark based on when you [kuro] try to deeply make sense of something, or greatly analyse something that nobody else has thought of/gone to your lengths of thinking about; such as the whole mole/rebirth thing or something like this post. That isn't a bad thing, nor is saying "I'm acting like kuro_neko reading into this a lot" an insult; merely an observation with Jihad realising that he was acting out "something kuro would do". As Jihad said, it would be no different or more insulting if he were to compare himself to Glath after writing a lengthy, in-depth post on a specific topic. He's just comparing his actions to similar traits of other. And I'm not getting at you here; I don't think you're wrong, I'm just saying not to make something out of nothing. There's no need to bicker here, it's a simple misunderstanding so let's try and get back on topic.