Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.11.03, 09:45 AM   #21
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
Having read a lot of reccomendations (esp. on here), I checked a couple of her albums out once and except for like 2-3 songs i found them completely overrated and way too generic to bother with.
It would really help if you said which albums. She's like Ringo where her first three albums are great, but then she changes into a completely different artist. We'll know if you just checked out the newer, more bland stuff or if you're just wrong.

It's impossible for old Cocco to be "generic" when she makes music so similar to old Ringo. Here's a small list of songs if you want to try her out again:

No Music, No Life
Hane ~Lay Down My Arms~
Plumeria
'Twas on My Birthday Night
Unabara no Ningyo
Ureta Tsumi

Er, on second thought... I'm mostly naming Rapunzel songs so give that album another listen.

Last edited by Maou : 2012.11.03 at 09:48 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 11:20 AM   #22
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Kumui-uta and Bougainvillea rival MM/SS

Cocco's pretty awesome though. She had a literal mental breakdown. (ignoring that she re-emerged completely neutered) That's pretty rock and roll.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.11.03 at 11:24 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.08, 07:33 AM   #23
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
It would really help if you said which albums. She's like Ringo where her first three albums are great, but then she changes into a completely different artist. We'll know if you just checked out the newer, more bland stuff or if you're just wrong.

It's impossible for old Cocco to be "generic" when she makes music so similar to old Ringo. Here's a small list of songs if you want to try her out again:

No Music, No Life
Hane ~Lay Down My Arms~
Plumeria
'Twas on My Birthday Night
Unabara no Ningyo
Ureta Tsumi

Er, on second thought... I'm mostly naming Rapunzel songs so give that album another listen.

I checked out Rapunzel and Zansaian.

I mean, I wouldn't call it bad music or anything - I don't mind listening to it at all, but it's just not touching or interesting enough to me.
I kinda liked Rapunzel's かがり火 and けもの道, though.

Maybe it's not even her songs, but just her voice that's being too ordinary and "generic" sounding to me. I mean, you can recognize her voice better than that of your average idol girl, but it's still lacking some sort of uniqueness as those of vocalists I usually like have.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.08, 11:31 AM   #24
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
Maybe it's not even her songs, but just her voice that's being too ordinary and "generic" sounding to me. I mean, you can recognize her voice better than that of your average idol girl, but it's still lacking some sort of uniqueness as those of vocalists I usually like have.
Cocco's voice is sublime imo. Especially when she wails, it triggers a rush of dopamine in my brain. I can't get enough of it. In other words, I'm turning into a fanboy...

Who are the vocalists you usually like? I'd be grateful if you can recommend me some.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.08, 01:53 PM   #25
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Cocco's voice is sublime imo. Especially when she wails, it triggers a rush of dopamine in my brain. I can't get enough of it. In other words, I'm turning into a fanboy...

Who are the vocalists you usually like? I'd be grateful if you can recommend me some.
Have you ever listened to fra-foa? Mikami Chisako has the only Japanese voice I prefer over Cocco's. The first fra-foa album, Chuu no Fuchi, is really good if you like heavy, brooding albums.
Old 2012.11.08, 02:24 PM   #26
Inseu

Thanks for the pointer! All the fra-foa songs seem to be on YouTube. I listened to a few, haven't formed a definite opinion yet.

What I like about Cocco is not only the timbre of her voice, but also how she utilizes it the same way Ringo does. Both singers sing with force, without timidity and fragility. Cocco might cry during band rehearsals due to frustration, but I think she's one tough chick.
Old 2012.11.08, 05:17 PM   #27
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post

9mm Parabellum Bullet's Sugawara Takuro
Go!Go!7188/Chirinuruwowaka's Yuu
Thee Michelle Gun Elephant/ROSSO/The Birthday's Chiba Yusuke
Muse's Matt Bellamy

Along with Shiina Ringo those would be some of my favorites.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.13, 04:04 PM   #28
Inseu

Live at Shibuya

I'm really impressed by this live performance and Cocco's unique sense of fashion! Listening to her first four albums non-stop.
Old 2012.11.14, 07:44 PM   #29
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

One thing to always remember during any Cocco/Shiina comparison is background. Shiina is Tokyo cool; Cocco is a native of Okinawa.

Cocco is more naive and sincere, and Shiina is more worldly and clever.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.14, 03:12 AM   #30
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I have to disagree that she became bland after her first 3 albums. her latest one, EMERALD, was amazing imo and so was her 2007 single "Dugong no Mieru Oka", I also loved the new songs on her latest best of. but then I don't want her to do rock like Ringo, I have ringo for that. I'm more into her folky\okinawan stuff
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote