Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.05.22, 04:47 AM   #51
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

New Dillinger Escape Plan: It fucking shreds.

Oh and it's title song is DA BOMB (even if it is the "softest" track on the whole thing :-p)
One Of Us Is The Killer

Also
Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Is track one too early to say I love the new Vampire Weekend?
Believe him. If you have any reservations after Contra, throw them out the window, this is the Vampire Weekend album I was hoping for. Up there with my favorite "indie pop" albums by the likes of The Shins, Pernice Brothers and Belle and Sebastian (though sounding like their own thing). The only song that I don't really care for is "Finger Back" because it just goes waaaaay too close to a band that I don't want to mention's (because they shouldn't be compared :-p) sound.

Glad I gave it a shot even after dismissing the band after Contra.

Also: new Daft Punk. I never "got" what was so special about this band and I still don't.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.23 at 03:51 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.29, 11:13 AM   #52
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Rhye's "Woman". Could loop it all night.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.29, 03:14 PM   #53
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm interested in hearing Pat Metheny's recording of some of John Zorn's Book of Angels material. I don't think Zorn is such a great composer but some of the earlier installments included pretty inspired performances. I just hope I'm not totally burned out on the compositions themselves. They seem to allow for enough improvisation to make each realization potentially worthwhile.

I think Zorn might be a great facilitator more than anything else. He is able to pull together great talents.

Closer to my heart politically (a lot closer, actually), if Palestinian Mohammed Assaf wins the Arab Idol contest (maybe he already has by now--I haven't been keeping tabs closely) and puts out an album, I'll probably get it. He's got a great voice and is very expressive, I think. I certainly don't hear him breaking any new ground, but he's excellent within the tradition. Hopefully he doesn't go too pop in recordings.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.05.29 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Might as well try to be consistent about Anglicizing his name, although I've seen it several ways already.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 07:33 PM   #54
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The Coming Ones- International Version

So I wasn't interested at this at all (at first it just looked like an abridged version to me)... then I listened to the previews. ALL THE TRACKS have been reworked, new track order and even a new song for the international version.

So, fuck, looks like I'm gonna be buying "The Coming Ones" and obsessing over it again in 2013. Can it possibly make AOTY 2 times in a row?

AWESOME!!!!!!!

New version of Lai Zhe Mo Jie (now called "Capicorn")

Sa Dingding- Capricorn

Looks like 2013 still has some surprises up it's sleeve. I can't believe I'm getting hyped over what's essentially a remix album. But a remix album that has been done with care and of my favourite album in the last few years (since 2009 anyway)... I'll take it!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.30 at 07:56 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 08:59 PM   #55
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I wonder why so many songs are re-arranged. Could it be that this is the more "definitive" version? Or maybe she figured that the originals played too heavily toward Chinese tastes?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 09:05 PM   #56
deadgrandma

I'm really not sure... they do sound more 'western' than the original version to my ears though. It's certainly better than releasing the same album with less tracks (like I thought it was at first) a year later though :-p

It may not be a brand new album, but I'll take it over nothing at all from her.
Old 2013.05.30, 10:03 PM   #57
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm really excited for it, it sounds like a brand new album to me. though I slightly prefer the original "Lai Zhe Mo Jie" over Capricorn (which you can already get on iTunes btw)

Last edited by matan-san : 2013.05.30 at 10:07 PM.
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 10:07 PM   #58
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
I'm really excited for it, it sounds like a brand new album to me. though I slightly prefer the original "Lai Zhe Mo Jie" over Capricorn
Yeah, I prefer the original of that too, though, listening through the samples, there's some versions of other songs that I prefer on the new one to the old one. Will be interesting to make a verdict on what is the better version once it's released.

I hope they release the international on CD though... I can only find preorder for itunes atm. I wanna get this in lossless if possible for obvious reasons.
Old 2013.05.30, 10:34 PM   #59
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

judging by the previews, the reworked versions makes the songs closer to the sound of Harmony (the album) i.e. less electronic and more organic. I wonder if that's the sound they were going for

EDIT: looks like she got a new website too. nice

Last edited by matan-san : 2013.05.30 at 10:38 PM.
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.03, 08:47 PM   #60
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

So far the Sa Dingding is sounding a lot less interesting, based on the sampler. I hate when the U.S. or general western market gets a more boring version of things (e.g., Boris's Smile).
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote