Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.02.12, 05:32 PM   #1
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community
Default Going live

Which shows are you guys seeing this year?
What were some of your best/past experiences?

I'm going to Tame Impala in march wooooo

/edit: oop, wrong area. Sorry. BUT STILL.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.12, 05:44 PM   #2
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Best live: The Shins, 2005
Worst live: The Who, 2009
Old 2013.02.21, 10:54 PM   #3
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Okay, I'm curious. What made The Who bad, deceased matriarch?

Best concert of mine was probably seeing Roger Waters at the Hollywood Bowl in 06. He did all of Dark Side of the Moon and most of the best cuts from the other albums. I'll never forget the drunk guy next to me who turned to me when the band went into "Wish You Were Here" and said "This is a good fuckin' song, man..." and kept yelling "YEAH, ROGER!" at random intervals at the concert. Seriously funny stuff. And you can only get that at a concert. Just feeling the energy from the crowd. Not to mention how my friend and I were probably the only people NOT smoking pot there. The whole place was blazing up as soon as the band started DSOTM.

My worst concert? I dunno. Does an awful lawn concert of some guy trying to sing 70s and 80s songs with a cover band count? I saw one of those last summer and it was pretty unintentionally hilarious. The guy did hit his stride in the second half though, to be fair.

But if we're talking about the single worst performance I've ever seen, I've gotta give it to four tone deaf guys trying to sing "Get Back" at karaoke at my junior prom.
Old 2013.02.22, 01:59 AM   #4
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The Who was bad cause:

-Constant technical failures
-The Who blaming the fans for their lazy performance
-An old man fight (almost a good thing, but it stopped too early)
-Worst possible opening band ever... Counting Crows
-Had more fun getting a drink than watching the show
-All possible pussy was over 60
-The Who played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much newer songs that nobody cares for/knows

Anyway. Seeing two main concert events next week: Soundwave Music Festival and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Soundwave has a tonne of bands, but mainly looking forward to A Perfect Circle and (Me)'tallica.

Metallica and Nick Cave... now that's some old cunts that know how to deliver a good live show. Hell, even Nick Cave can make a good album still.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.02.22 at 02:02 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.22, 08:39 AM   #5
Osiris12345

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
The Who was bad cause:

-Constant technical failures
-The Who blaming the fans for their lazy performance
-An old man fight (almost a good thing, but it stopped too early)
-Worst possible opening band ever... Counting Crows
-Had more fun getting a drink than watching the show
-All possible pussy was over 60
-The Who played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much newer songs that nobody cares for/knows
Wow. Sounds like The Who are assholes. I guess fame will do that to you. That sounds like a really lame show. Plus they're old now. I'm sure seeing them isn't even 1/10th as good as it would have been when Keith Moon was alive.

Part of why I don't want to see the Stones. Although the $750(!!!!) ticket price is a good enough reason anyway. I hope you didn't pay nearly that much to watch The Who completely suck.

Metallica ARE old cunts but I hear their live show kicks ass. Me jelly. Unfortunately I have no concerts planned for this year
Old 2013.02.22, 02:05 PM   #6
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I was thinking about getting my dad a ticket one of The Who shows, but now I know better!

I was thinking about Clapton too, but tickets are going for $500 and while I believe it's totally worth it I don't have the money
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.02, 06:21 PM   #7
deadgrandma

So did Soundwave. The bands I managed to catch:

Anthrax- yeah, thrash metal that I care very little about, seemed to have a good crowd relationship

Stone Sour- another band I don't like, but just saw while I was waiting for the good stuff. Was ok.

A Perfect Circle- Sonically, amazing, peformance wise, it looked like the Aussie heat was really getting to them. Maynard just bounced up and down like a monkey and drank beer between songs and James Iha looked physically ill and just didn't want to be there.

Cypress Hill- This was pretty fun to watch. Nothing more nothing less.

Slayer- Yep, Slayer being Slayer.

Linkin Park- An act I subjected myself to while waiting for Metallica to start. Was god awful but I'm pretty sure if I liked them it was a pretty amazing set.

Metallica- The best of the day (obviously), played a full 2hr 15 min set and played all classic songs, no songs from after the Black Album. Highlight was the performance of Harvester of Sorrow.

So yeah, all up, pretty good day, got a decent bang for my buck and surprisingly only managed to spend a paltry 30 bucks (on top of the 200 dollar entry fee) the entire day.

Anyway, I have Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds later today, and from the set lists and the footage I have seen/heard from this tour, it looks like its gonna be the show of the year. Very excited.
Old 2013.03.03, 03:21 PM   #8
deadgrandma

So, double post, but:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds:
-Best show I've seen in YEARS (no exaggeration, if the Bad Seeds are coming to your town make sure you get yourself a ticket)
-A very varied set, about half of the new album was played, Jubilee Street live arrangement was HUGE
-Lots of old classics and a few surprises such as Your Funeral My Trial and Stranger than Kindness
-
A slight technical mishap with the amplification on Warren Ellis' viola
-I got right up to the front, so close that I could shake Nick's hand

OH AND:
-Night was topped by a young girl punching an older woman in the face, making her dentures fly out and hit my friend in the back. True story.

So yeah, fucking great night out.

Next up, TOOL in April (this will be my 3rd time seeing them), the tour description has promise of the "debut of NEW material" too, though... it's Tool, everything they say is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.03.03 at 05:47 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.09, 12:19 PM   #9
Osiris12345

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Metallica- The best of the day (obviously), played a full 2hr 15 min set and played all classic songs, no songs from after the Black Album. Highlight was the performance of Harvester of Sorrow
So jelly. ;_;
Old 2013.04.19, 07:44 AM   #10
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

IF I see Shugo Tokumaru month, I'll have seen every Japanese artist I've been into... except the one that really matters!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote