Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.12.10, 08:59 PM   #41
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

I was thinking mostly DVDs (i.e., that I might want to buy).

I figured Oomori was going to be near the top of that list.
Old 2015.12.10, 09:23 PM   #42
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Can't say I watched more than 5 or 6 new live dvds altogther this year I reckon
Old 2015.12.29, 09:14 AM   #43
Pretsy

Pretsy is headed in the right direction

Before this ends up in the forum graveyard, I will post my clusterhecked 2015 list as well (as a RYM link though, too lazy to paste the whole mess here)

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Macrozels/2015_by_macro/

Sundfor über alles (ever since when did I like any post-2010 (conventional) pop album this much?)!
Pretsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.29, 10:32 AM   #44
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

--

Last edited by The Most Curious Thing : 2015.12.29 at 10:45 AM.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.30, 06:53 AM   #45
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I guess this is a thread we can all use for our fave 2015 releases? I'll just throw mine out there, though it's kind of long for one post, so I'll break it up into a few.

There are still a lot of 2015 albums I've yet to listen to (especially non-Japanese stuff), but out of all I did listen to, here's a couple handfuls of my fave listens this year. The ordering is somewhat arbitrary... I'm also sorry if the videos aren't available in your region, cos I know a lot aren't especially things from official channels.

--

12. Forever (Enjoy Music Club)

I honestly know nothing about this group. It was kind of a random purchase, but features Japanese rap over old-school hip hop samples with a distinctly city pop sensibility. You can really feel EMC's somewhat muted primary color scheme with how simple and nostalgic yet fresh each track is. It came out in autumn, but I'd love to spin it on a summer night.

Enjoy Club Song

11. E MO TION (Carly Rae Jepsen)
I have no special feelings about CRJ, but holy heck is this a great album from start to finish. Each track is polished, dance floor ready, and her vocals are so strong and clean. I'm really grateful to the friends who insisted that this would be a great album to check out.

Run Away With Me

10. HIMITSU (Karasu wa Masshiro)

While actually a mini-album only 5 songs, Karasu wa Masshiro embodies to me a lot of the best elements of the band scene in Japan right now. With elements of rock, funk, and whispery vocals that occasionally fire off lyrics at bullet-speed, HIMITSU is my favorite release of theirs this year. It's a little irreverent, playing out to me like a dream with how quickly the mood can change from song to song, or even within songs. The cinematic-style intrigue woven into each track pulls me in every time.

HIMITSU SPARK

9. FRESHLESS (Recoride)

Recoride, to me, is like futurist fantasy-horror ground down into high-speed chiptune, which is to say I always look forward to their releases. They do a wonderful job of creating scenes and atmospheres and adventures within the scape of each song, a talent which is shown still throughout FRESHLESS. Their music is consistent, sharp, and hits hard, incorporating elements of rock, hip hop, with an 80s taste that embraces what could end up cheesy, but just ends up really, really Cool.

Kowarenai Paradise

8. WWDD (Dempagumi.inc)

Upon its release, this is what the members refer to as their "first original album," being fully comprised of songs written since they became a 6-member unit. As a long-time fan, it falls into a trap that seems not-uncommon for more major albums--having a lot of singles on the where you really would have liked more new content.

That being said, as a new listener, I believe it's definitely a good introduction to the group as they are now, and a full and fun listening experience. Each single sounds new and refreshing in the new context of the album, and the new tracks themselves are incredibly strong both as stand-alones, and as elements of the album's story.

One of the most exciting aspects of Dempagumi.inc for me is how distinctive each member's voice is--they are definitely a group with a lot of personality. Now, their songs often sound like "anime music," and if you dislike that kind of sound or high-pitched singing, then I can't particularly recommend them to you, as they might not suit your tastes. However, if you are up for a new adventure, then this may be an album to check out.

Bari3 Republic

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.12.30 at 07:00 AM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.30, 07:23 AM   #46
tsukigimehime

7. Kirei (Ziyoo-vachi)

Their first album in about 3 years, Kirei is one of Ziyoo-Vachi's most diverse and beautiful (to reference the name of the album haha) works to date. From the songwriting itself to the way Avu-chan uses her voice, this album is intoxicating and mysterious, and definitely reflects the feeling of discovering a beauty which you can't quite comprehend. One of the lead singles, and one of the centerpiece tracks of the album, Venus sounds right at home here. I wasn't sure how I felt about the single itself, but the album as a concept piece on beauty really draws out all of the charm and power each song contains.

Venus

6. Kazoekirenai (Kazoekirenai)

I'm not really sure what to say about this album, honestly. It's polygonal, low-maintenance, and incredibly calming to listen to.

Here's a live set of theirs from 2012 in lieu of any recent performances.

5. Champs Elysees (Mowmow Lulu Gyaban)

Since first listening to Mowmow Lulu Gyaban, my life has been a steady process of unlearning any associations between guitars and how hard one can rock. A smidgen more somber and a pinch more mature than usual, the three members bring their skills and attitude to the forefront on this new album.

Often running the gambit between emotional, weird, weirdly emotional, gross, and somewhat offensive, MLG is odd and addictive and honestly one of my favorite active bands right now.

Saraba Jinrui

4. Hakai POP (0.8byou to syooogeki)

I've listened to 0.8byou on and off for a few years, and while I can't say that I actually know anything about them, this is probably my favorite album of theirs so far. As in previous albums, each song strikes a prime balance between the male and female vocalists. I think the title "Hakai POP" or "Destruction POP" really fits how this album feels, like they've taken a lot of the best elements of lots of pop eras and genres from dance to enka and MacGuyvered them into something aggressive, fun, weird, and a little dirty, maybe.

Niji-iro no Kotoba
Old 2015.12.30, 08:08 AM   #47
tsukigimehime

3. Enban Utopia (Sayonara Ponytail)

Since I haven't been actively following SayoPony recently, I was pretty much floored when wandering a store last month only to hear new songs by them playing. Even more thrilling was that this new album, Enban Utopia, was 3 discs long! Each disc is its own concept album. Disc I, Love with the A-side, is mostly poppy numbers, each bursting with the pale magic that draws so many listeners to SayoPony. Disc II, SayoPony Calendar, is a collection of seasonal releases that were only available digitally over the last 3 years. Disc III, The Light and Shadows of Adolescence, is an acoustic track collection with all tracks sung by member Miina.

SayoPony has grown over the years, and how well they're refined their sound without losing any of the simplicity, innocence, and magic that make them Sayonara Ponytail is really apparent in this release. While more mature, they've lost a sense of wonder or adventure, with the worlds they create through each members' art and compositions growing even grander with each release.

Hikaru Machi e

2. Platonic Planet (KOTO)

As mentioned previously, I'm quite a big fan of Recoride, so when I saw that Platonic Planet would be almost entirely written and produced by programmer and vocalist Sasaki Kissa, I was instantly interested and hooked when I heard the title track Platonic Planet.

Though this album features what is very recognizable as Sasaki's typical style (something like being fired through a warp hole into a fantastic and dangerous pixelated world), it doesn't sacrifice anything necessary to create what I see as a traditionally successful idol album!

It not only captures the nature of the increasingly-rare(?) solo idol in playful songwriting that hits hard and sometimes sounds like it jumped out of a stage of an early arcade or RPG game, it also immortalizes KOTO as a 16-year-old idol, something that is in itself what I find to be a unique necessity for a solo idol. I think how wonderful the vocal direction is, especially, comes across in "Angel ga Endless", which also features on Recoride's latest album with Kissa's vocals. This was definitely one of my favorite albums of 2015, and I really hope that KOTO and Sasaki continue to work together after this, especially as I've heard that KOTO can really bring even more life to the songs live.

Platonic Planet

1. Picnic at nerd park (Avandoned)

Their catchphrase being "the abandoned idols," Avandonded has long been a group whom I've supported from afar (mostly because their shows are in Tokyo). After a few years, they've finally made it to the point where their music is available nationally.

Avandoned is another one of my major favorites on the idol scene right now, and primary songwriter Sasaki Jirou does a wonderful job of capturing the youth and powerful spirit of each member in each song--I think each track suits them and really brings out their best. While they're not "good" singers by any traditional standards, I personally prefer the vocals as they are.

Along with Avandoned's steadily growing popularity, this album also further solidified my opinion that the profession called "idol" is becoming more and more a playground as much for the idols who wish to explore their ideas and creative potential in DJing, lyric/songwriting, etc. as much as it is for their fans. I find that "Picnic at nerd park" alternates effortlessly between dreamlike, nostalgic, and something I feel like I've been missing in music for a long time. It's playful, young, fun, and invites you along for the ride, even if you're just goofing off on the playground before the street lamps turn on.

Having finally confirmed their first solo live for the end of January next year, I'm sure we can expect even more in the coming years. I believe they'll also be collaborating with Hijou-kaidan next year!

Feedback Friday

anyway, yeah! There's some of my fave albums this year! I hope there are some artists people don't know but would be interested in checking out. Enjoy the rest of your 2015, everyone.