Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.07.24, 07:36 AM   #41
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

well, one thing I liked about this lady is that she can dance like that and make weird faces even though it looks unattractive, which is a big no no for any female performer. Shiina Ringo used to be like that but now she's too preoccupied with looking great in flawless makeup and designer outfits. Ryuukou PV is a direct continuation of this trend- it's declawed and doesn't have much bite, unlike the video justriiingo posted. I'm having weird images of Shiina Ringo being housebroken
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 07:58 AM   #42
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Haha, I read about "Le Succettes" but I never looked into it, nor did I think it would be so blatant. That video is hilarious. I'm not quite sure what those costumes could be construed as other than walking penises.

I get the scandalous issue, but otherwise isn't she just a plain pop artist no different from Sylvie Vartan and Françoise Hardy? And the style of her music depends on the time her writers and producers wrote it -- trying to be innovative and in vogue at the same time. I'd think they'd sould similar only because Ringo was emulating the style.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 02:13 PM   #43
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I've never heard of Vartan, and I was never able to get into Hardy. I can't really compare their careers to France Gall's. However, FG's career spanned twenty years or so, and her style changed much over that time period. This is another reason I think her career is similar to SR's: the sheer amount of change in her music and image.
I don't understand what you mean by "plain pop artist". I mean, Ringo herself has always been trying to be "innovative and in vogue at the same time" as well. Sure, FG didn't write her own repertoire, but from what I've been able to gather, she selected her writers and shaped her image/style - which is an art in itself. In my opinion, stuff by FG is better than most material by performing songwriters now.
And, as an added bonus, here's another controversial song by Gall. This is called "La Petite", which is a song about a young girl falling in love with a friend of her father's. The creepy part is that the guy she is singing the duet with (Maurice Biraud) actually was a friend of her father's. This song was written by Serge Gainsbourg, who also wrote "Les Sucettes". English lyrics are in the YouTube description.
La Petite
Old 2009.07.24, 04:03 PM   #44
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I mean no offense to France Gall -- she was the next ye-ye girl whom I wanted to buy a CD from. I think her music is some of the catchiest French 60s pop I've heard. (I couldn't get into Vartan save for 3 songs, and it took me months before I decided I liked Hardy) But you're pretty much explaining how a good pop artist works.
It's the same with one of my favorite singers, Momoe Yamaguchi. She started with bubblegum pop like Aoi Kajitsu and Hito no Natsu no Keiken released when she was 14 and 15 respectively. (Side note: With both of those songs she also created a scandal with her lyrics, with the first one (translated to as "Unripe Fruit") singing something on the lines of "I'll do anything you wish, even if they call me a bad girl" and the second one singing "I'll give you the thing most precious to a girl" etc.) She then throughout her career enlisted the top writers to develop a sound harder and more mature than most of the music at that time, such as Playback Part 2 and Rinne to name but a few.

I think scandalous pop like Gall's was pretty commonplace at that time in history. In addition to Yamaguchi's risque lyrics, a 60s artist Chiyo Okumura had masochistic songs like "Koi no Dorei" in which she sings "When I'm bad, go ahead and hit me", which caused a big enough stir for Kouhaku (at it's peak at the time) forbade her to sing that song due to its topic. I even recently watched a 60s American film about a songwriter who had to keep the knowledge of her being a song lyric writer away from the heads of her college because the lyrics were so risque that she'd get expelled.

Gall's ability to work with people to control her image in the limelight is certainly something to be commended. But I think it aligns her more so with her pop cohorts that I listed (plus so many more.) than with Ringo, who is basically a sponge for all different musical styles and combines them together to make something totally unique.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.07.24 at 04:11 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 05:20 PM   #45
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

and emf reaches the next level of pretension: pages of French shit.
Old 2009.07.24, 05:42 PM   #46
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
and emf reaches the next level of pretension: pages of French shit.
Papayer, oranger, bananier et manguier
Pour manger sans jamais rien payer
Pas d’argent, pas de gens exigeant
Pas de vents, pas de pluie et des nuits étoilées

L’amour en veux-tu en voilà
On le rencontre à chaque pas
Mais comme on ne fait pas un pas
On attend qu’il vienne par là, la la la

Mangos, papaya
Chestnuts from the fire in
my house of straw I have so much more
Pie from the pigeon I fix in the kitchen
Each bite is just right for your appetite

Now if you like the way I cook
And if you like the way I look
Then step inside my shady nook
And you’ll find mangos
and papayas anything your heart desires

Mangos, papaya
Chestnuts from the fire the food is
so good you will wanna stay
Eat up and drink up and maybe you think up
The day when we say “preacher man, okay”

Après le bup slow
Pour que ça reste chaud
Je sais ce qu’il nous fait
C’est du Jazz à Gogo
Tous ceux qui l’aiment bien
Et moi qui l’aime bien
On va chanter ensemble
Pourvu que ça balance

O.K. pour la guitarre
O.K. pour la batterie
Et pour la contrebasse
Et le piano aussi
Tous ceux qui l’aiment bien
Et moi qui l’aime bien
On va danser ensemble
Pourvu que ça balance
Et dans tous les pays
De New York à Paris
Parlant la même langue
Le jazz mène la danse
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 06:35 PM   #47
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

@Jihad: i think shina ringo is like beyonce sum of the timez
Old 2009.07.24, 07:49 PM   #48
huerta

huerta pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
I mean no offense to France Gall -- she was the next ye-ye girl whom I wanted to buy a CD from. I think her music is some of the catchiest French 60s pop I've heard. (I couldn't get into Vartan save for 3 songs, and it took me months before I decided I liked Hardy) But you're pretty much explaining how a good pop artist works.
It's the same with one of my favorite singers, Momoe Yamaguchi. She started with bubblegum pop like Aoi Kajitsu and Hito no Natsu no Keiken released when she was 14 and 15 respectively. (Side note: With both of those songs she also created a scandal with her lyrics, with the first one (translated to as "Unripe Fruit") singing something on the lines of "I'll do anything you wish, even if they call me a bad girl" and the second one singing "I'll give you the thing most precious to a girl" etc.) She then throughout her career enlisted the top writers to develop a sound harder and more mature than most of the music at that time, such as Playback Part 2 and Rinne to name but a few.

I think scandalous pop like Gall's was pretty commonplace at that time in history. In addition to Yamaguchi's risque lyrics, a 60s artist Chiyo Okumura had masochistic songs like "Koi no Dorei" in which she sings "When I'm bad, go ahead and hit me", which caused a big enough stir for Kouhaku (at it's peak at the time) forbade her to sing that song due to its topic. I even recently watched a 60s American film about a songwriter who had to keep the knowledge of her being a song lyric writer away from the heads of her college because the lyrics were so risque that she'd get expelled.

Gall's ability to work with people to control her image in the limelight is certainly something to be commended. But I think it aligns her more so with her pop cohorts that I listed (plus so many more.) than with Ringo, who is basically a sponge for all different musical styles and combines them together to make something totally unique.
I like how you put links on your posts.
It's very illustrative.
huerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.25, 03:17 AM   #49
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Damn, what's wrong with the "French shit"? It's not The Beatles? Ringo doesn't resemble the 60s French pop singers as an artist to me at all, so I can't agree (even the lollipops controversy is miles away from Honnou, methinks), but that music, even sung by "idols" of the time, had tons more of soul than the lifeless recycled pop put out today.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.25, 03:23 AM   #50
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Honnou isn't even that controversial. Maybe in Japan...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote