Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.12.17, 01:53 AM   #181
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I kind of feel the same way about Honnou. I don't really like that song but it keeps popping in my head and I end up listening to it.
Old 2009.12.17, 12:52 PM   #182
chii

chii is headed in the right direction

I looove Honnou now, but when I first heard it, I really didn't like it XD
chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.04, 08:25 AM   #183
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

My very first album by Ringo was Heisei Fuuzoku. It was so outstanding I had to buy it as soon as possible...I don't recall if I ever listened to another track before I got into HF. Probably Stem on YouTube, but I'm not that sure.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.04, 01:49 PM   #184
Kasu

Kasu is headed in the right direction

I was 13 years old I think and I searched for Japanese music at... Kazaa or something. And I found Tsumi to Batsu. And then, I fell in love
I discovered more Music from Ringo and later from Tokyo Jihen. And I still am in love.
Kasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.07, 12:44 PM   #185
persongirl

persongirl is headed in the right direction

I first discovered her on jpop asia. The first song I heard was Honnou, I couldn't bear to listen to her voice at first because of how high and scratchy it was, but I listened to her music more and more and now I'm a fan!
persongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 12:35 AM   #186
waki3691

waki3691 is headed in the right direction

I agree that the scratchy voice isn't everyone's cup of tea. But if you listen to it a lot of times, it just comes part of SR and it just gets to you. I couldn't stand her voice last time. Haha
waki3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.15, 09:31 PM   #187
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Over the past few years, whenever I read articles about Utada Hikaru (One of my favorite singers!), I would usually see the name Shiina Ringo. I waved it off. A few weeks ago, I randomly decided to google her name, and I saw this article. I sounded a little intimidated, but I googled around and found Heisei Fuuzoku. I loved it.

P.S. First post!
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.24, 09:37 PM   #188
kimihzm

kimihzm pleased at least somebody

The first Ringo song I've heard was Ringo no uta. It sounds a bit creepy but i love her unique style. Then I found OSCA. This song really impressed me and i have to search for more Ringo and TJ. Dynamite is my favorite concert. Now i'm totally a fan.

ps. First post too!
kimihzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.25, 01:52 PM   #189
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Welcome to the forum.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.26, 07:57 PM   #190
SakeIt2Me

SakeIt2Me is headed in the right direction
Cool

I love wip'Eout". The Designers Republic used a ton of katakana and Jap-culture icons in their designs, so by the time I started watching anime later on I was already preconditioned to like certain styles...basically, I love weird things. Anime, led to FLCL, which led to the pillows, whose music I love, and their music got me heavily back into guitar again, so that led me to more Japanese musicians (BORIS, Michio Kurihara...AKFG, Mika Nakashima on NANA, etc.)
So going back to the start of this circle, wipeout--at a game forum another guitarist mentioned Tokyo Jihen. I check them out. Dynamite concert performances rock my world, especially Hirama's vibe. He has it, and no, a lot of guitarists can't touch it. So then I start clickety clicketing on YouTube, while having bought Kyoiku and Adult (from one of the members here, incidentally...thanks!) and find La Salle de Bain, the line "I smelled your lighter oil mixed with coffee and cream" has me completely mesmerized. I decide right there and then that Shiina Ringo is a musical genius, no ifs about it. In the end I do like Yokushitsu better, but...

And then I found this forum, and everybody explaining how Haruko from FLCL is based on Ringo, and I replay the anime in my mind (Cause yes, it is a VCR...I am a shojo robot) and think OMG! Life is a great big circle!!! Many of the things that I've enjoyed end up interrelated in some way, so...
I ramble. That is my story. How I found Shiina Ringo.

It shouldn't have to be like this. She should be played on commercial radio around the world. Consummate musician!!!!