Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.05, 08:58 AM   #321
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Starting to get used to the production on the CD too, it's loud as fuck but not as painful when I tweak the EQ settings. I've actually gotten it to be quite enjoyable. I still wanna hear the high res version though.
Doesn't sound nearly as bad (to me) compared to Re:Import. You do have to tweak EQ settings though. I use VOX player for my FLAC files and use headphone settings, or for my speakers I found the "drive" EQ sounds excellent. Of course, this is all entirely dependent on the speakers and headphones that you own. Everyone's experience will be slightly different.

I'm surprised how well the older tracks fit in with the rest of the album. I expected there to be a more obvious divide between the songs since all the new tracks were at the beginning. The only album flow problem I had was Nippon. It's fine as a standalone song, but I can only see it as that World Cup song and not in the context of an album.

Last edited by FadedSun : 2014.11.05 at 09:01 AM.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.05, 01:24 PM   #322
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Initial impressions:

- It's SG-lite.
- It's not nearly as brickwalled as Reimport. I can finish this in one sitting. Still don't like the production.
- I feel like you guys lied, man. I wasn't impressed with any of the track transitions except for track 4 -> track 5.
- JL005 is by far the best of the new tracks. Sounds a little like a couple of James Iha's songs.
- Chichinpuipui and Mittei Monogatari need to be performed live back-to-back.
- Irohanihoheto is probably my favorite individual track on the album.
- I can barely tell the difference between Ukigumo (Arikitarina Onna) and Yukio Nagoshi (Irohanihoheto) anymore.
- Fuck auto-tune, man. Fuck it.
- Really solid album from start to finish. Iro, Ariamaru Tomi and JL005 are the standouts. Nippon is the only track that doesn't fit and Kodoku no Akatsuki is the low point. I feel like she tacked on Ariamaru Tomi just to make sure the album ended well after those two songs.

I'd give it a B-. It often sounds like a collection of songs made at different times. I guess because that's exactly what it is. The songs are good though and that's the most important thing. There's still room for improvement that can come from live performances.
Old 2014.11.05, 01:48 PM   #323
FadedSun

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
- Fuck auto-tune, man. Fuck it.
Thank you!! That track ruins any flow the album had set up before then. I'm trying to picture Shiina listening to the album in full and nodding her head "yes, yes this makes sense" when that track shows up with the auto-tune on her voice.
Old 2014.11.05, 03:32 PM   #324
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Initial impressions:
- It's not nearly as brickwalled as Reimport. I can finish this in one sitting. Still don't like the production.
But why does the production on Reimport sound like like it's character, whereas on Sunny it's it's worst element?

Maybe it's just more offensive cause I know some of them old songs on Sunny exist without being so muddy and loud- Carnation's single mix for example.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.05 at 03:46 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.05, 03:35 PM   #325
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'd give it a B-.
For me she has always been a C, probably a D- last year.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.05, 04:39 PM   #326
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Fun little related thing in case you haven't bothered checking the YouTubes:

http://sp.universal-music.co.jp/ringo/sunny/camp.html

Looks like Universal is giving away shirts based on each track of the album. Seems easy enough to design replicas if you really like any of them.

Nice video of her rocking those shirts too. As if you needed any more proof that JL005, Arikitari na Onna, and NIPPON were the best songs

Last edited by Positron : 2014.11.05 at 04:52 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.06, 03:32 AM   #327
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Pretty interesting reviews so far, I agree the most with gekokujyo. Just want to contribute my own ratings

1 静かなる逆襲: 10/10 The superior cousin of the Sayuri single without the tame Sayuri vocals.

2 自由へ道連れ: 10/10 Straight-forward Ringo rock makes me happy.

3 走れゎナンバー: 10/10 One of the most creative songs on the album with the flute and funk grooves. Sultry and laid-back. When the song first became available, I listened to it like 50 times. Nu-Ringo classic?

4 赤道を越えたら: 10/10 My favourite song. It showcases Ringo's versatile vocals and also the most melodious and sing-along song on the album.

5. JL005便で: 9/10 Reminds me やさしい哲学. Musically very subtle but I don't think it's the best song.

6. ちちんぷいぷい: 10/10 Cat thief strikes again? Another spy song I love.

7. 今: 10/10 A jazzy ballad that is too catchy to not love.

8. いろはにほへと: 10/10 Classic Ringo. Reviewed to death already.

9 ありきたりな女: 8/10 The music feels very 60's (like Beatle's Oh Darling and 10CC's Donna) with Ringo screaming in it. A grower.

10 Carnation: 5/10 Disney Ringo. Bah!

11 孤独のあかつき(信猫版): 10/10 Much better than the B-side version. This song is fun to listen to.

12 Nippon: 6/10 The presence of this song must be EMI marketing team's decision. Foul 2.

13. ありあまる富: 6/10 Too long and I still don't like it after all these years.

Not counting track 10, 12, 13, I get a classic Ringo album with 10 songs, so I am very satisfied with the album.

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.11.06 at 03:44 AM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.06, 07:27 AM   #328
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

On my first listen, I think it's another flawless SR album... until track 10 kicks in, then it goes inevitably downhill: Carnation is as offputting as usual, 孤独のあかつき(信猫版) is lame and NIPPON is NIPPON. Adding ありあまる富 there feels like a last-ditch effort, and it's disrespectful to such a classic. I could live without those 3 tracks.

Other than that, it's suggestive, sexy, raw, tasteful, joyous and everything else in that Shiina Ringo way that makes her the unique artist that she is.

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
3 走れゎナンバー: 10/10 One of the most creative songs on the album with the flute and funk grooves. Sultry and laid-back. When the song first became available, I listened to it like 50 times. Nu-Ringo classic?
I totally agree! That rhythm is sick, so layered yet so homogeneous and smooth that it's hard to focus on any specific instrument. I could listen to this song for hours.

Last edited by Carlx : 2014.11.06 at 08:06 PM.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.06, 07:48 AM   #329
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Love the new album; weakest songs for me are the auto tune song, nippon and carnation, but that's okay because I like everything else.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.06, 07:54 AM   #330
FadedSun

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
For me she has always been a C, probably a D- last year.
You signed up for a message board related to an artist that you think is C material? Who is A material?