Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.09.15, 07:31 AM   #1211
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Is anyone here going to the shows and managed to get tickets? Nimh and I are trying and having NO luck... he is willing to pay 20,000+ up for a ticket but I'm not sure I am...

deadgrandma, where is the Vogue interview? (I've been out of the EMF loop so I didn't know about it)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 07:53 AM   #1212
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm sorry, but I'm personally not worried I don't intend to sound rude or dismissive, but anyway here are my thoughts in response to your response:

I think our ways of looking at her body of work are probably fundamentally different (though crass name-calling seems inappropriate for simply not liking her recent work >_< )

I know nothing about Ayu or the path she's walked, and I'm not well-versed in what Gaga did/does in her performance, but I appreciate the confidence that Ringo shows when she's on stage, and that she seems to be finding some enjoyment in it. I don't think that her art needs to aspire to the same things that other theatrically oriented artists have done. And besides Expo14, she's also given us Toutaikai and Omoitsuki RecoHatsu concerts, which I found to be different from one another and very intimate and enjoyable.

It stings a little to see how distanced she was in that interview, but I'm happier having an idea of where she stands right now. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem too surprising that someone who has been writing professionally for the better part of the last 17 years while taking care of a family feels this way.

While I like Sunny, I can agree that I hope there's a larger portion of new material whenever the next album comes out, and maybe less teasing new tracks as digital singles before the release, but those can just be avoided...

I'm not sure how long she will want to continue a career where she's the front person of everything that she does, but she seems very involved with her family in a way that simply doesn't allow her the time to become as involved in her music the way she was in the past (this was in that quotation magazine interview she did with Ninagawa Mika--it has full English text as well) That's just the way it is for her right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ever decided to retire as a solo artist (at least temporarily) and just write on commission at this point, but I think she stays very active because there are still many things fans want to see from her (there are likely also contractual/financial aspects to this) I almost want her to take time to direct into her family and personal life as she finds appropriate rather than exerting herself to balance the two, but if this is what she wants to do then I am more than happy to offer her my support and yen as a long time fan of her work

Edit: Frecklegirl, here is the interview

And I've got tickets, but have failed miserably at getting them for Tokyo area shows hopefully some reasonably priced ones pop up closer to the date when people have to drop going due to work etc...

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.09.15 at 08:03 AM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 01:52 PM   #1213
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
Edit: Frecklegirl, here is the interview
That interview is a travesty, I no longer feel kind of bad for constantly calling her later music elevator music and her later aesthetic old lady cosplay.
Old 2015.09.15, 06:14 PM   #1214
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I'm going for her birthday show in Sendai! And depending on my luck, the 30/11 show in Fukuoka as well!

Re: negativity -- have learnt to just basically tune it out. You choose what you want/don't want to respond to. It's a free world!
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 06:26 PM   #1215
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, how can you pay to see the same show twice? I mean, she isn't one to have mixed up setlists for a while, give or take one or two songs.

I can understand those folks that follow someone like Tori Amos around for an entire tour, because she dramatically changes the setlist from night to night. But Ringo... I dunno... Then again, when was the last tour that had this many dates of hers? Maybe she will be a bit more loose with her setlists this time???

Also: sorry about that last massive post... was pretty tipsy last night but I do mean a lot of things I said on there. Guess if I'm gonna try to continue to be a Ringo fan I'm just gonna have to learn how to drop my standards and just enjoy her for the goofy pop princess she's becoming.

Re mastering reply from Harry4567: sure its a major problem on almost everything- but it's not just the brickwalling thats the problem with the latest Ringo... it really sounds plain bad to me. And it's getting progressively worse as time goes on. I have whinged about her earlier albums too- but this is way beyond the problems those had. It's all muddy and icky, and theres waaay too much treble. It kinda sorta is acceptable on Reimport- where its a big kalaidescopic mesh of sounds (the opening track works supremely well- a showtune ran through the SS machine is the best description for it)- but for Sunny where the songs are much more... gentle and jazzy/have a level headed pop approach (best description I can come up with a blistering headache) it really, really fucking ruins it. I mean, can you not hear it sounding worse than it did at oh, the end of Jihen???

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.15 at 06:37 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 06:36 PM   #1216
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ I'm holding out for special one-off or venue-specific songs that may not be eventually captured on the DVD. Like Sounan from the first Ringohan show, or Izonshou from Sugoroku Ecstasy. Also, yknow, concert goods and shit. I am a fanboy and I cannot lie.
Old 2015.09.15, 06:39 PM   #1217
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well I do get that aspect of course... if you recall, I used to stan her quite a fucking lot too right up until about the 15th anniversary releases. The evidence is all through these threads :-p

But yeah. Getting old and grumpy I suppose. Going through a bad patch maybe.
Old 2015.09.15, 06:45 PM   #1218
gekokujyo

^ u're prolly hungry, eat more! (: I rarely get to see her so why not do it more while I'm able and while she's still in showbiz?

Kinda wanted to catch the Namie tour too but I'll be there on her rest week, alas.
Old 2015.09.15, 06:49 PM   #1219
deadgrandma

You know, the only thing that's made me jealous that an online chum got tickets for recently was Vampillia with Jun Togawa.

Don't know why particularly, I see people getting Oomori tickets constantly (probably because it seems like Oomori never fucking stops doing shows/I'm hooked up with so many bootlegs that it's becoming exhausting haha) but something about Vampillia and Jun Togawa together seems quite legendary. Would love to go to that show.
Old 2015.09.15, 07:41 PM   #1220
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
(..)

Re mastering reply from Harry4567: sure its a major problem on almost everything- but it's not just the brickwalling thats the problem with the latest Ringo... it really sounds plain bad to me. And it's getting progressively worse as time goes on. I have whinged about her earlier albums too- but this is way beyond the problems those had. It's all muddy and icky, and theres waaay too much treble. It kinda sorta is acceptable on Reimport- where its a big kalaidescopic mesh of sounds (the opening track works supremely well- a showtune ran through the SS machine is the best description for it)- but for Sunny where the songs are much more... gentle and jazzy/have a level headed pop approach (best description I can come up with a blistering headache) it really, really fucking ruins it. I mean, can you not hear it sounding worse than it did at oh, the end of Jihen???
Universal applied some destructive EQ on the tracks, meanwhile the mastering engineer applied some destructive EQ and cut out frequencies before handing his master. Double destruction is the key why all her songs suck hard nowadays. However, it is less worsen on the latest single that you hate. (specifically the hi-res one, that the coke song completely beat out the buddha crap into the dust) [Offtopic: It's quite surprising to see that 2dB differences between CD and hi-res made a huge difference in listening.]

Last edited by harry4567 : 2015.09.15 at 07:44 PM.
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote