Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.08, 04:45 AM   #341
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

This album doesn't remind me of SG at all. There might be similar instruments but it doesn't overly promote the big band stuff. It's like her attempt at a Tadashii Mashi album.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 04:51 AM   #342
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

In all seriousness, the most similar release to this is Ichigo Ichie's Doku Ichigo. Pity noone remembers that little gem.
Old 2014.11.08, 09:58 AM   #343
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
This album doesn't remind me of SG at all. There might be similar instruments but it doesn't overly promote the big band stuff. It's like her attempt at a Tadashii Mashi album.
Right. When I said "SG-lite" I meant more in terms of presentation. Like here's a similar mix of instruments, but not with the same ambition or goals. I see it almost like Sunny is the Dai Hakken to SG's Sports. Less experimental and less memorable despite having some strong tracks.

Though I do feel Sunny could have been around the same level as SG if it had a stronger, original finish. Finishing the album with four singles/already released tracks leaves the album feeling very empty. Half-baked or like a microwaved meal as DG said.
Old 2014.11.08, 03:15 PM   #344
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

omg Kudamono no Heya got a studio version! Years ago someone started a thread asking which demo song would we choose to make and not one person said Kudamono no Heya

But I always loved that song. Of course I would have preferred a more rock oriented version but I really like this. It makes me wonder which of her recent songs are actually very old songs from her debut. Oishii Kisetsu?
Old 2014.11.08, 03:58 PM   #345
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I myself taste a lot of SG on the album, but there are even further throwbacks for me... JL005 reminds me of Kyouiku or Utaite Myori-era Ringo. There are even wisps of SS on this album. I can kind of get deadgrandma's comment about there being "nothing to savor" on the album though. I feel like SG's material was maybe a little more realized, conceptually. Still, I adore this new album.
Old 2014.11.08, 06:37 PM   #346
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The saddest part is that there is no really strong opinions either negative or positive this time round. It's just... out. The most heated debate I've gotten into is that I find Reimport is more interesting than Sunny and people disagree.

That's it. No hate, no true love for it. It's just another release that will make no impact on the discography in the end. Nothing awful, nothing brilliant.

I miss my EMF arguments :-(
Old 2014.11.08, 06:54 PM   #347
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
The saddest part is that there is no really strong opinions ... positive this time round...

That's it. No hate, no true love for it. It's just another release that will make no impact on the discography in the end. Nothing awful, nothing brilliant.

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
my love for this lady is renewed.

This album is really great!
Originally Posted by NCORE View Post
Love the new album; weakest songs for me are the auto tune song, nippon and carnation, but that's okay because I like everything else.
Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
...it's suggestive, sexy, raw, tasteful, joyous and everything else in that Shiina Ringo way that makes her the unique artist that she is.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 08:49 PM   #348
bentanhankun

bentanhankun has had more than 15 seconds of fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KxoCd3YSg4

this is golden
bentanhankun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 10:07 PM   #349
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think Ringo hasn't looked this elegant in years. She looks mid-20s and this is coming from an Asian guy...
Attached Images
File Type: png Ringo1.png (402.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png Ringo2.png (937.3 KB, 97 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 11:25 PM   #350
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I don't really get the SG comparisons. To me this is the showakayou style album that I thought SG was gonna be but isn't. They are stylistically very different to me tbh. I love tracks 2-5 pretty much overwhelmingly more than anything on SG so that's saying something....
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote