Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.05.13, 06:07 PM   #131
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Faith No More- Sol Invictus is finally legitimately available, and I've been giving it quite a few spins. Yes, as many have said, it bears a lot of resemblence to Tomahawk, but that's not necessarily a negative. It was at first, a little bit average to my ears, but its the repeat spins that are really opening up what is on offer here- and that is a concise (under 40 mins), varied and yet still tight, really damn enjoyable listen.

One of the better comeback albums of late. Well worth checking out if you're in any way interested in Faith No More. I'm sure fans will find a lot to like with it. I still don't like Motherfucker though. Sunny Side Up and especially Matador are my current album picks, but knowing my personal experience with FNM albums over the years, this will change wildly and frequently.

I'll be picking up the LP this weekend for sure.
Old 2015.06.05, 05:27 PM   #132
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So I listened to a few new albums recently, in no particular order:

Muse- Drones
I don't really know why I listened to this, I've not been impressed by anything from this band for almost a decade, guess it's just good old curiosity. It is what I thought it would be, Muse being Muse. Nowhere near as good as their first 4 efforts, but probably better than the last 2. I don't really know. Still stupid, Queen rip-offing. But not totally horrible. No dubstep either this time. I guess Muse fans will be happy with it.

Of Monsters and Men- Beneath the Skin
OK, OK, I admit I like this band. I know they should probably be seen as a guilty pleasure deal but oh well. This album doesnt stray too far from the sound they established on their debut, but doesn't exploit it as much as that album either. It's played more mature, a little darker, slower and broods quite a bit more. There is a bit more experimentation with build-up and at times it draws eerily close to sounding a bit like Godspeed. While there were no major "yes, this will be a hit single" moments this time, it probably makes the overall listen a lot more rewarding in the future. I feel I have a lot to discover here and overall, I'm happy with it.

The Darkness- Last of Our Kind
By now, everyone probably has an opinion on this band. For me, I never could get heaps into them or hate them, I just kinda enjoyed their schtick and they do it much better than their competition (I'm looking at you, Steel Panther). They also have quite a decent vocalist and a great live show. This new album is what it is, there are no major suprises, but at the same time, it does not let down if you are after an 'oldschool' kick.

Now, to attempt the new Florence and the Machine...
Old 2015.06.11, 06:47 PM   #133
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Muse- Drones
I don't really know why I listened to this, I've not been impressed by anything from this band for almost a decade, guess it's just good old curiosity. It is what I thought it would be, Muse being Muse. Nowhere near as good as their first 4 efforts, but probably better than the last 2. I don't really know. Still stupid, Queen rip-offing. But not totally horrible. No dubstep either this time. I guess Muse fans will be happy with it.

I don't understand what happened to Muse. They certainly lost something after their first few albums. It's sad when you begin to cringe at most of the music released by a band that you used to listen to on repeat.

Although, to be fair, I recall enjoying 3-4 of the songs that I heard from Drones.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.01, 02:21 AM   #134
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I thought Drones was trash and maybe somehow worse than Resistance and Second Law but I have this begrudging respect for the fact that this is the kind of music they want to do. I mean Matt Bellamy is the type of dude who would walk around the house wearing a cape so it could have had a much worse message than "the government is bad".

I listened to the new Knxwledge, KEN mode, and Thundercat releases. They're all fine, if unspectacular.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.03, 06:14 PM   #135
deadgrandma

My god, the new Towa Tei album!!! I've enjoyed his works in the past but never have I been blown away like this from him. It is immense and so, so focussed. There's not a dull moment in the whole thing. He uses his guests (Cornelius, UA, Yukihiro Takahashi, Haroumi Hosono are just of the names here) to their full benefit, and damn does it work.

Check it out!

Definitely the best 'electronic' album I've heard in a long time.
Old 2015.07.03, 11:36 PM   #136
deadgrandma

Gotta admit, just seeing that cover gave me a twinge of excitement!

A while till September though.
Old 2015.07.10, 06:32 PM   #137
deadgrandma

I've got a feeling Dingding's cooking something up right now...
Old 2015.07.10, 07:47 PM   #138
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
It's sad when you begin to cringe at most of the music released by a band that you used to listen to on repeat.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Old 2015.07.12, 07:37 PM   #139
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Nooo, I didn't mean to supply you with easy parallels!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.15, 03:27 PM   #140
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I've got a feeling Dingding's cooking something up right now...
I hope you're right.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote