Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.05.31, 10:47 AM   #11
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Who knew you couldn't get a refund on games you didn't like...

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 10:50 AM   #12
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Generally GAME give you a no hassle refund but HMV don't care and even test the game to prove your "game crashes" story is false! If I was buying I would have went to GAME but somebody picked it up for me so I had no say.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 11:16 AM   #13
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

That's amazing, in N.A. the moment the plastic wrapping is compromised they don't allow refunds.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.31, 08:26 PM   #14
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I kinda collect things too much. I started collecting things when I was 9 and got into the re-release of Star Wars. I still have this old make-up box filled with my ticket stubs, Leia toys and Star Wars pogs.

-
Here's my Latin collection. The first picture is with my Junior and Senior textbooks and all the random old books from individual authors I've gotten cheap from used book stores here. (Selections from Suetonius and Tacitus, book one of Livy, and book one of Vergil's Aeneid. Collections from Cicero and Caesar. Ovid's Love poems and Herodies and 5 plays from Plautus... among others.) Ovid is the most represented here because he's pretty much the love of my life. (and I forgot one of his I have, but it doesn't matter.)
The second one are extensive grammar books, history of the language and literary criticism. I've omitted the tons of basic grammar and first 2 level text books.
Name:  latin_1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  latin_2.jpg
Size:  34.2 KB

Next is my collection of Harry Potter goods. I got into HP when I was 12 (10 years ago this Dec 26th) and followed was my first book obsession frenzy. First are my original books (books 4 through 7 were bought at midnight sellings), then my ever growing collection of the first book translated into different languages (with the French version, who decided to rename the first book "Harry Potter and the School of Wizards". >.>), the extra books (including the too pricey, yet oddly still satisfying Beedle Bard) and a collection of nicely drawn book marks which I started collecting from the 6th book's release.
Name:  hp_1.jpg
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  hp_2.jpg
Size:  41.9 KB
Name:  hp_3.jpg
Size:  36.2 KB
Name:  hp_4.jpg
Size:  32.9 KB

My whole family owns upwards of 250-300 DVDs in the house, but it's not as well organized nor are they in a good orientation to be photographed so I'll abstain from that. But I do have a pretty nice collection of cute playmobil Roman toys that I just find adorable because of their freakishly precise details.

It's kinda embarrasing showing off these ultra dorky collections -- much more than saying I own some-700 CDs. >.>;

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.05.31 at 08:29 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.01, 12:57 AM   #15
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Cool Harry Potter collection
I also bought 4 to 7 at midnight sellings. I see the big book is Tales of Beedle the Bard, but what about the smaller one on top? I though that was how the Beedle the Bard book looked like.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.01, 01:59 AM   #16
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
I kinda collect things too much.
There's no such thing as too much collecting, unless..
a.) You're living paycheck-to-paycheck when you could actually be putting money aside for longterm savings.
b.) It's not easy finding/having places to store your new stuff.

If that all sounds familiar, then you're not alone.

My whole family owns upwards of 250-300 DVDs in the house, but it's not as well organized nor are they in a good orientation to be photographed so I'll abstain from that.
Sounds like almost everything I have, that people here would want to see.

It's kinda embarrasing showing off these ultra dorky collections -- much more than saying I own some-700 CDs. >.>;
I don't think anyone in this community will roll their eyes at you (publicly or privately) in regard to the things you collect. Even though I'm not a Harry Potter fan, I still respect the fact that you have all the hardcovers for a franchise you care about.

If you've 'lost' anything with me, it's the notion that me flirting with you could take me down a road I'd ever want to reach the end of. Two packrats in one household, would not be a sustainable situation.

But don't get me wrong. I still think you are exceptionally cool in your own way. (even if I think you like Memai too much)
Old 2009.06.01, 07:53 AM   #17
mizer_unmei

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I also bought 4 to 7 at midnight sellings. I see the big book is Tales of Beedle the Bard, but what about the smaller one on top? I though that was how the Beedle the Bard book looked like.
Midnight sellings are the best! I'm really sad there won't be any more. The line for the last book was insane, but it was completely natural.
The one with the skull is the actual book. The thing it's resting on is this (unnecessarily) massive case they decided to put it in. Inside picture here. The book goes in the velvety pouch and that and this packet of drawings from the stories are in the case.

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
There's no such thing as too much collecting, unless..
a.) You're living paycheck-to-paycheck when you could actually be putting money aside for longterm savings.
b.) It's not easy finding/having places to store your new stuff.

If that all sounds familiar, then you're not alone.

If you've 'lost' anything with me, it's the notion that me flirting with you could take me down a road I'd ever want to reach the end of. Two packrats in one household, would not be a sustainable situation.

But don't get me wrong. I still think you are exceptionally cool in your own way. (even if I think you like Memai too much)
I definitely do worry about storage, mainly in the future. (In a "how is a linguistics degree going to get me a place big enough for my ever growing everything?" ^^; ) But even now my store of paperback books has been sequestered to a pile on the floor, because I don't really have room for any more.

It's really nice to have a kindred spirit. I've often thought how futile and useless my collecting was, but I still kept on because I just like doing it. Now knowing that others do it to the extent I do sort of justifies it for me more.

But that would be a bad situation, we'd both be up to our noses in all this stuff and you'd be playing the second disc of ZCS waaay too much. Memai for the win!

last.fm
Old 2009.06.01, 12:28 PM   #18
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Ahah the French versions of Harry Potter are great. Everyone gets new names! I do like the French house names though. POUFSOUFFLE!!!!! hahahahaaaaaa

mizer, do you like linguistics? I thought I would, because I love foreign languages and know several, but it turns out being talented in languages doesn't mean you'll be good at linguistics, because it really is more of a science, and I'm not a science person at all. So, it turns out linguistics is not for me, but I respect those who do truly enjoy it and are good at it. As for making your degree useful, I'm pretty sure continuing on to grad school is the only way to ensure that happens; if you just graduate with a bachelor's in linguistics you will almost definitely end up working not in that field, haha.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.01, 04:13 PM   #19
mizer_unmei

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Ahah the French versions of Harry Potter are great. Everyone gets new names! I do like the French house names though. POUFSOUFFLE!!!!! hahahahaaaaaa

mizer, do you like linguistics? I thought I would, because I love foreign languages and know several, but it turns out being talented in languages doesn't mean you'll be good at linguistics, because it really is more of a science, and I'm not a science person at all. So, it turns out linguistics is not for me, but I respect those who do truly enjoy it and are good at it. As for making your degree useful, I'm pretty sure continuing on to grad school is the only way to ensure that happens; if you just graduate with a bachelor's in linguistics you will almost definitely end up working not in that field, haha.
Haha, I hadn't even seen that before! I have the other language books but I rarely go through them enough. It's weird though, that neither the German nor the Spanish versions change the house names. I can understand having to change them because of pronunciation variations but those two didn't do it at all. :X Haha, and I wonder how other languages deal with the "French" accent of the Beauxbatons school. That would be awesome to learn about. But then I'd need the 4th book of all the different languages too.

I liked linguistics to the extent of grammar, language change and sociolinguistics. But the really inherent and tedious things like phonetics just make me want to tear my hair out. But it definitely isn't for everyone. My sister was thinking about getting into it, but she (who mainly studied natural and physical sciences) thought it was a "fake science". So an opposite end of the scale really.
Because of that I'm actually thinking about applying to grad school for Classics. (I have a goal of getting a PhD in some field or another. Though as learn more and more about the process I get more disheartened.) But I'd have to learn Ancient Greek before I get there (and eventually two out of French, German and Italian on a academic level. x.x), but I'd be able to keep up on my Latin and that ties language, language change and culture all into one. But I need to actually take the GREs first before I do that. x.x;

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.06.01 at 04:28 PM.
Old 2009.06.01, 09:01 PM   #20
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Oh, cool! My friend started a classics grad program at the University of Florida Gainesville last year, and unfortunately they lied to her about what the program's about and told her it would be more culture-oriented when in reality it was more language-oriented. (She had to take Greek and Latin language exams when she got there, and she wound up failing them, even though she'd gotten A's in all her classics classes in undergrad, because it turns out she'd just been memorizing translations without even realizing it.) But that sounds like exactly what you'd be looking for! Maybe something to look into.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote