Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.04.24, 05:08 AM   #461
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

You guys are living in a dream world if you think she would go anywhere near the midwest IF she even did a first US tour.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.24, 05:12 AM   #462
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I hope she does Sydney and skips the US :-p
Old 2015.04.24, 07:08 AM   #463
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Eastern Europe please
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.24, 10:41 AM   #464
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I dunno about that, FadedSun. Most big acts that I've seen come to the US have done Chicago.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.24, 12:43 PM   #465
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
You guys are living in a dream world if you think she would go anywhere near the midwest IF she even did a first US tour.
Screw your Bostonian arrogance. We have better weather, nicer people and better basketball teams than you dudes out east.

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
I dunno about that, FadedSun. Most big acts that I've seen come to the US have done Chicago.
*insert jokes about Cleveland here* : /

I don't think she'd do an actual tour. Just one or two shows in LA and/or NY. I will only go to the LA show if Glath or some other EMFers will also be there.
Old 2015.04.24, 01:07 PM   #466
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Hahaha, hey I didn't say she would choose Boston if she did a tour here. Wouldn't expect that at all, actually. I don't have a lot of city pride, but we do get a decent amount of good artists coming through here. Boris ALWAYS comes here, and for that I am grateful.

I agree about the weather. Was dreadful here this winter and I much prefer a warmer climate. The Celtics...have not been on top of their game for the past few years

And yeah, I agree that she wouldn't do an actual "tour". She would play a couple shows in the major cities (LA and NYC) just to get her feet wet and to see the reception. MAYBE she would come back if things went well. If Utada can't make it in America, there is even less hope for Shiina because Utada's music is much more marketable to the American masses (IMO).
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.24, 01:19 PM   #467
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

House shows confirmed
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcU...4hOt5spwJ6XyUg
The colorful band with only one member...
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.24, 01:28 PM   #468
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Google Trends offers some insight on this:

By Country: https://www.google.com/trends/explor...q=shiina+ringo
By US State/City: https://www.google.com/trends/explor...q=shiina+ringo

I'm not sure what other metrics could be used to gauge Ringo's international fan base. In Europe I suppose MP3 downloads could be used, but her music is not officially available in the US/Canada.

Based on this, it looks like a show in California would probably have the best chance of success. It looks like she is actually searched for more in San Francisco than LA, so maybe the show would be up there. Or I could see her maybe doing a show in Vegas instead of California; in terms of her actual music and style she actually seems like a good fit for Las Vegas. Either way, New York (presumably NYC itself) would be the second choice. Texas, surprisingly, comes in third. Unfortunately for those in the Midwest, it doesn't seem like Chicago or any other city there really rates.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.24, 01:39 PM   #469
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
And yeah, I agree that she wouldn't do an actual "tour". She would play a couple shows in the major cities (LA and NYC) just to get her feet wet and to see the reception. MAYBE she would come back if things went well. If Utada can't make it in America, there is even less hope for Shiina because Utada's music is much more marketable to the American masses (IMO).
I'd compare her more to Luna Sea or Dir en grey playing in the States than Utada. I was at the Luna Sea LA show and I thought the fan turn out was good as people were lined up around the building all day waiting to get in. They haven't come back in the last five years though. I expect Ringo to be the same way.
Old 2015.04.24, 02:25 PM   #470
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Here's some info about Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's first couple of tours in the US. I know she has a much bigger weeaboo audience over here, but looking at the cities and venue sizes I see them as a good comparison for a possible Ringo US tour.

In 2013, Pamyu Pamyu only played two concerts in the US, one in LA and one in NY. I went to the one in NY, and the line to get in went about 10 city blocks. The capacity in both venues was around 2,000 people.

All in all it seemed a huge success for her, so they expanded her tour for 2014. In 2014, she played LA, NY, Seattle, San Fran, Toronto, and Chicago.

I could see similar things for potential Ringo North American tours. Testing the waters with LA and NY shows in venues with only a couple thousand seats max, and if successful expanding to other big cities in future tours.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote