Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.04.26, 02:53 AM   #4951
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Noel Gallagher - Listen Up (from the recent Albert Hall show)
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 04:23 AM   #4952
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

The Cars - Heartbeat City
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 04:37 AM   #4953
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

My mum has played the Cars music since I was born, but I always thought they were really boring and too simple. But after listening to a whole best of album one time, they really grew on me. I do need to listen to them more.

Blonde Redhead - Silently

I love the Blonde Redhead love here! I just got this CD on a whim and it's really grown on me. I definitely want to pick up another one of theirs soon.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 08:14 AM   #4954
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Cars producer Roy Thomas Baker intentionally kept their sound simple.

From an interview in Mix magazine:

(Mix) With The Cars, you had this band with a sparse rhythm section and a unique singer in Ric Ocasek, but when the harmonies kicked in, it was a wall of sound.

(Baker) They came at a time when rock radio really needed some freshening up. I was going through my own little demons at the time. I had been doing Queen, which was kitchen sink over-production, which I loved. But in the same way that we had the alterna-music thing in the early '90s, the end of the '70s had the punk era. I would run into the Sex Pistols, because they were working over at Wessex. They were saying the usual, "All you bands are going to be gone because you're over-produced and you're all fags," and all that. [Laughs] It was really funny. I thought, "Maybe there is a point where I should be a bit more sparse." So when I did the first Cars record, we purposely did it very sparse, but when the harmony vocals come in, there are as many vocals there as there were in a Queen record. The only difference is it was in and then it was gone. "Good Times Roll" is a classic one for that. When they sing those words, it's huge and then it's gone, and everything is back to sparse again. I was able to put big vocals on a sparse, punkish background, sort of inventing post-punk pop.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 08:57 AM   #4955
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
My mum has played the Cars music since I was born, but I always thought they were really boring and too simple. But after listening to a whole best of album one time, they really grew on me. I do need to listen to them more.

Blonde Redhead - Silently

I love the Blonde Redhead love here! I just got this CD on a whim and it's really grown on me. I definitely want to pick up another one of theirs soon.

I am so against Japanese girls singers in American indie rock bands. They are SO gimmicky and almost never talented. The one exception to this is Blonde Redhead, she is such a rockstar and so talented. I missed a chance to see them for free and interview them. Stupid huh? I'm really only into their latest 2 albums though. I can't wait for a new one.

ShinjiPG - I am actually not a fan of Korean music but I'd like to become one. The problem is that I hate music that is easily catogorized and that isn't made (at least to a large extent) by the artist/band themselves. I'm sure Korea has a lot of good music but everyone I've talked to has pointed me towards large pieces of horse dump in the shape of platinum selling pop albums. I'm open to suggestions if you are kind on my ears, as in please nothing that an average 13 year old likes.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 09:06 AM   #4956
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
I am so against Japanese girls singers in American indie rock bands. They are SO gimmicky and almost never talented. The one exception to this is Blonde Redhead, she is such a rockstar and so talented. I missed a chance to see them for free and interview them. Stupid huh? I'm really only into their latest 2 albums though. I can't wait for a new one.
Erm, Blonde Redhead is OK. Misery is Butterfly is their only really good album. Asobi Seksu smashes them to pieces when it comes to the Japanese-American indie band gimmick.

CLT: fra-foa - higurashi
Old 2009.04.26, 09:12 AM   #4957
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Erm, Blonde Redhead is OK. Misery is Butterfly is their only really good album. Asobi Seksu smashes them to pieces when it comes to the Japanese-American indie band gimmick.

CLT: fra-foa - higurashi

I guess to each their own. Seeing them live, to me, was kind of like my half hour walk home from work, certainly not the most awful experience of my day but pretty much completely unmemorable. I knew I'd get some people mad at me with that comment though.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 09:23 AM   #4958
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I"m livid with you as well, sir. There's nothing gimmicky about the greatness that is Asobi Seksu.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.26, 09:27 AM   #4959
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Asobi Seksu is a purely studio band. I don't think any band could successfully pull off their sound live with only one guitarist and fill-in musicians on bass and drums.
Old 2009.04.26, 12:18 PM   #4960
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Asobi Seksu is a purely studio band.
Whereas Blonde Redhead isn't!
Seeing them live was probably one of my best live experiences, and they had sound problems.
Unfortunately, I couldn't go to the Asobi Seksu show, during my Citrus hype days, but from what my friends told me I didn't miss anything because it was loud noise shoegaze and I think I can skip that.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote