Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.06.04, 10:53 PM   #51
vayerism

vayerism is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by zach View Post
Other great guitarists not mentioned yet that you may enjoy:
  • Brett Garsed
    He is somewhere in between the rock-mindset technical speed wizards like Vai and the jazzy, interesting-melodies players like Henderson. He's got astounding legato technique and a great feel.
  • Pat Metheny
    Do I really need to explain? Just saying it 'cause no one else did yet.
  • Jesse Cook
    Fantastic modern flamenco guitarist. I love 95% of his stuff.
  • Marc Antoine
    Unbridled melodicism and a great sound. Fusion artist in the smooth jazz vein who nicely melds many world influences. His ideas on solos are well-developed.
  • Edward Gerhard
    Acoustic folk/classical wizard. I always love listening to his albums. He can claim responsibility for some of the most beautiful solo acoustic guitar tunes ever made.
Scratching the tip of the iceberg...
Cool to see guys like fusion jazz so much here which album of Brett Garsed can recommend to me? I would love to listen guitarist play like Scott Henderson and STEVE VAI.

btw, do you like Aldi Meola? I like to listen him so much when I was in secondary school, introduced by my english teach, he always play very cool and fast improvisation on acoustic guitar. "Racing with Devil in Spanish Highway" I like this song so much but seldom listen to him nowaday...

Last edited by vayerism : 2007.06.04 at 11:26 PM.
vayerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.04, 11:10 PM   #52
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Why, vayerism.. you definitely just stole a good chunk of zach's post and pretended it was yours! :p
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 10:29 AM   #53
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I haven't heard this album, but I've seen a video of Astor Piazolla and Yo-yo Ma play Libertango and I wasn't too keen on how the cello sounded like. I'm more for his Quinteto/Octeto Buenos Aires stuff.
Really cool to meet another Piazzolla fan as well. I'd agree with you on the quintet stuff being his best, it gets loads of spins in my player, but the Ma album is usually considered more accessible and thus a good jumping-on point when recommending Piazzolla albums. And I've yet to hear a better rendition of "Le Grand Tango" (which is the song that first got me into Piazzolla) than the one on this disc. And if you haven't heard his compositions for flute and guitar, find it and grab it. It's awesome.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I get into periods where I just listen to his stuff and only his stuff for months... (granted, only 2 so far, but your post might just start another one)
For me that was a couple years in college. I was a piano major in school, and I hunted down his sheet music and forced my piano profs to let me play it. I listened to him and Arturo Sandoval almost nonstop. I know, strange combination, but it worked for me.

Originally Posted by vayerism View Post
which album of Brett Garsed can recommend to me? I would love to listen guitarist play like Scott Henderson and STEVE VAI.
Perhaps I was misleading. He doesn't play like either of them. He's somewhere in the middle. It's like if Scott Henderson had grown up listening only to pop and rock, or if Vai listened to less metal and more jazz. And sorry, I can't really recommend one particular album since I don't think I have a complete one myself *cough cough*

Originally Posted by vayerism View Post
btw, do you like Aldi Meola?
I do. When I was young, my dad was always playing some of his songs so I got into his music that way.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list

Last edited by zach : 2007.06.05 at 10:35 AM.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 12:06 AM   #54
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by zach View Post
I hunted down his sheet music and forced my piano profs to let me play it.
Alright, I'm probably not skilled enough to play any of them, but where on earth can I find real Piazzolla sheet music (not the stripped down rearranged stuff)? I'm having no luck at my local sheet music stores nor the internet.
Old 2007.06.06, 12:52 AM   #55
zach

I've never found legitimate trascriptions of the quintet stuff to my knowledge, but you can definitely find some of his more chamber-oriented stuff. I picked up some of his earlier piano compositions and the cello/piano version of Le Grand Tango from some German publisher, but I forget where I got it. It was years ago and it was really hard to find. I don't have the music with me (left it in the US) so I can't check right now. I'll get back to you on that.

my mp3 list
Old 2007.06.06, 02:30 AM   #56
zach

Okay, I'm pretty sure I got my Piazzolla sheet music from here:

http://www.tonosmusic.com/shop/advan...ords=Piazzolla

Their site has changed since the last time I visited, but it looks like they still have the same stuff. It's a little hard to know what's simplified and rearranged and what's an original Piazzolla score, but you might check any desired purchase against this chart:

http://www.yonezawa.com/piazzolla/scores.htm

Hope that helps.

my mp3 list
Old 2007.06.06, 03:25 AM   #57
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

well, I've been listening a lot to Battles lately!

I think most people are gonna kill me for recommending such weird and crazy music, but I'll go for it and recommend it anyway. I think they are a great live band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AgpaeTaVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fEDimkGo0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4WJuK0RiL8
Old 2007.06.07, 12:26 AM   #58
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by bebio View Post
well, I've been listening a lot to Battles lately!
Oh man that's cool! They kinda remind me of Tortoise.

Thanks bebio!
Old 2007.06.08, 07:30 AM   #59
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

you're welcome!
Old 2007.06.10, 03:49 PM   #60
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Nice.

Originally Posted by insanitykun View Post

Blonde Redhead - 23.
Totally, totally amazing.
I would not say they are totally amazing but it is a nice album, thanks for suggesting it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote