Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.06.08, 09:29 PM   #11
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Ooh! Knights in White Satin. Nice post-natal memories of that.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.09, 10:29 PM   #12
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Spinetta - Téster de Violencia (recorded in 1987).

Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.25, 10:35 AM   #13
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Theres too much 80's garbage to sift through for me to contribute. Whatever 86 release from Pixies/Talking Heads/Sonic Youth had that year. 80's, not my forte.
The 80s were a nightmare. Can you imagine being 5 years old and hearing things like the Eurythmics? Scary, cold sounding synths, Annie Lennox scared the crap out of me as well. Even then I knew I waiting for the 90s to happen. The Pixies and Sonic Youth are basically 90s bands that fell through a time tunnel.

I looked into this once and I'm content to go with Kate Bush - The Kick Inside. I know her fans often seem to like her later albums but Kick Inside is basically like her Best Of as far as I'm concerned. You just can't clone shit like the Man With The Child In His Eyes, tunes like that haven't been written before or since.

I also like tracks off Wire - Chairs Missing (new wave / punk), A Taste of Honey - self titled (soul / disco), and Brian Eno - Music For Airports (proto-ambient), the first track of that seems to invent a lot of Japanese and European ambient I like. But not all of each. I think there'd be a lot more tracks I'd like than whole albums, but that's true for any year.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.09, 12:26 PM   #14
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

1987. Wow. Talk about a completely barren year for music. I really don't want to go with "Appetite for Destruction" or ANY U2 album.

Oh, Rick Astley's "Whenever You Need Somebody" was released that year? Definitely that one then.

Edit: What the hell am I on?? Michael Jackson's "Bad" was released this year! It's criminal not to pick that album. I listen to that even more than Thriller.

Last edited by Osiris12345 : 2012.10.09 at 12:36 PM.
Osiris12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.11, 08:38 PM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

It bothered me how dismissive my post was in this thread (and that says something.) So I decided to dig in to 86. While grazing the surface only, I keep seeing interesting things from '85 and '87. But there are certainly a few for me to look into.

Allow me to present my '86-Challenge! I challenge myself to listen to as many of the notable '86 albums I can in a week and report back here my verdict next friday.

I previously snarked whatever "Pixies/Talking Heads/Sonic Youth had that year." Regrettably, Come On Pilgrim was 10 months tardy, but Sonic Youth put out EVOL and Talking Heads True Stories. Also, a band I forgot to throw in, REM, put out Lifes Rich Pageant. Should be interesting listens!

I was about to pencil in Raising Hell by Run DMC as a favorite when I saw Beastie Boys License to Ill was an 86 release.

I'll check out Tesla's rec of XTC's Skylarking, as well as another Brit band you may have heard of that released a kind of a big album that year -- The Smith's The Queen is Dead.

I am a little less than enthused to see Paul Simon and Metallica had watershed albums that year (Graceland and Master of Puppets.) 80's-on Paul Simon has never been my bag, but I'll put this near the top of the rotation. Metallica on the other hand, oh boy. Metal is a taste this boy has just not yet acquired. And 86 seems to have been quite a year for it! I guess I'll have to crack in to those /mu/ metal albums some time...

Talk Talk released an album that year. It's neither Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock, but I adore the latter so I'm looking forward to it. I guess this wouldn't be an 80's challenge without at least trying on some Depeche Mode or Peter Gabriel. We'll see how that goes.

As I type this out, I begin to feel daunted at trying to listen to all these albums in a timeframe less than lenient enough to appreciate them, but we'll see how this goes. Post back friday.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.10.11 at 08:43 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.12, 04:15 AM   #16
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'd say Sister by Sonic Youth would be my favourite as it's the first that comes to mind aswell as my favourite album of theirs.
Come on Pilgrim by the Pixies, because even though Sister is awesome, the pixies are better than sonic youth.

Strangeways, Here We Come by the Smiths
And the only 80s sounding album I've heard from the year is Cloud Nine by George Harrison. I think.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.15, 11:16 AM   #17
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I feel old.

Anyway, I wasn't into music until MTV came around, which means my heart is in the 80s. I don't care what anybody says---when they started putting music to image and made stars out of hacks and divas with cheesy lighting and frantic associative editing, I was totally hooked. No amount of revisionist critique can take away my nostalgia.

This site is fun, by the way. Hours of distraction:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/index.php
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.15, 12:32 PM   #18
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Another favorite 1986 album.

Peter Gabriel - So
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.20, 07:18 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

My fiance skipped through the songs on my car stereo when a song by Spiritualized started up. The very first line of the song was "Sometimes I wish that I was dead." She nearly busted with laughter at how predictable it was that a song like that would be on my mp3 player. "Crooney tunes" are what she calls them, or as they were precisely described in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, songs that made you "think about death and feel sad and stuff." What I most grappled with during my week of listening strictly to music from the year 1986 was how goddamn happy everything sounded. It has been said by people snobbier than me what American culture regressed in the 1980's after the gritty 70's -- going from All in the Family to Archie Bunker's Place. How I rationalize this is the baby boomers were adults now, they had children, and wanted to paint the world as some whimsical, merry, and safe place. These were people that only ever knew the chilling "Mutually Assured Destruction" reality of the Cold War, which at this point was winding down. There was enough to be optimistic about, and enough reason to oversell the idea. Superficial harmony and contentment don't yield the kind of "crooney tunes" a guy like me tends to look for. Pretty much every record I listened to this week took until the second spin to shake off all the sugar and glitter.

I don't claim to be an expert on the year in music of 86, I could only listen to so many records. Also only so many times, there are some records that likely do need more time to grow on me. Overall, this was a fun, if perplexing, experiment. What follows is a recap of what I listened to, in order, and brief thoughts.

Coil - Horse Rotorvator: I'm not really sure what possessed me to start here. Maybe because looking at other reviews and thoughts, this seemed like the least stereotypically 80's album that I nabbed. I thought this was a pretty cool listen, like a less intense Swans. Burbling brass and weird electronic sounds, as well as some musique concrete elements layer in these gloomy atmospheres. I set up how happy 86 music was and yet I started with an album where there is little happiness expressed. I suppose it did cause me to re-adjust my expectations.

XTC - Skylarking: Took Tesla's recommendation and put this near the top of the queue. I think because I listened to this immediately after Horse Rotorvator, it took me a day or two to come around to this record. I hear a lot of sounds that remind me of a proto-Arcade Fire, very big, operatic baroque pop. Absolutely love the song "Another Satellite."

Sonic Youth - EVOL: A few bands that would soon release monster records released albums in 86 that would prove to point to their future. Sonic Youth would release Daydream Nation in three years, but Evol was the left turn road that would lead them there. Evol was certainly an easier listen for me, but it's clear Sonic Youth was still a year at least from tying their sound together.

Paul Simon - Graceland: After toying around with the least 80's sounding records I could find, I jumped in to the pool and spent all last weekend on Graceland. This era of Paul Simon always reeked of off-white walls with framed pictures of flowers and tan couches. "You can call me Al" was the soundtrack to a dull yuppie Saturday night. The inclusion of Ladysmith Black Mambazo seemed like a forced and superficial sense of culture. (And another case of whiter-than-white folk co-opting another culture's traditions.) Of course these are all ideas I had as a little (and apparently cynical as fuck) kid, without listening to the music much. While I still feel it gets too goofy for it's own good at times, this must be a case of the "Seinfeld is Unfunny" trope. Too dethatched from the original context. Graceland is very crisp, catchy, and inventive (even it seems like a trite and worn path today.) The title track is beautiful, also a big fan of the closing track.

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead: The Smiths were always one of those revered bands that I never took time to get into. This album was far more twee than I expected. Some great, rolling pop songs. More "Blur" than "Oasis" on the brit-continuum. This is one of the albums I feel like needs more listens than allowed, I expected a little more bite, like the title track, and less kisses.

R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant: This was the most forward thinking album of the week. That is to say, the most 90's. The album that most sounded like my youth. Needless to say, I loved every minute of it. R.E.M. was a band I frequently neglected apart liking basically all of the songs I heard. This became my first full introduction. Dug the heck out of it. Possibly my favorite of the week.

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill: Obviously, I don't have the original context for many of these albums, but the one that suffered the most on first listen was this record. All I heard, every song, was Lonely Island. Like I mentioned in regards to Paul Simon, in 2012, Beastie Boys and Licensed to Ill has been an influence on so many things and is such a root, it is hard to listen on it's own. It just sounded like goofy rap-rock music, but I forget -- the hip-hop world was vastly different in '86.

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring: The year Sonic Youth started to become more accessible, Talk Talk moved away from accessibility. Not to say The Colour of Spring is a very tall hurdle, but the new wave synth was out and more complicated song structures and organic sounds were in. The closing track, "Time it's Time" is killer, it is poppy, has a daring arrangement, and takes it's time to develop. Really like that song, same can be said for the rest of the tracks, but that was my stand out.

Peter Gabriel - So: I was on board by the second half of this record. From "Big Time" on, this is no regular pop album. "We do What We're Told" and "The Big Picture" could pass for Talk Talk songs or Berlin-era Bowie. While the more straightforward songs sound exactly like the kind of crisp, polished, manufactured pop sound I associate with the 80's, coming back around it's clear these are the songs of an actual artist in the form of an 80's pop song. (And who doesn't love "Sledgehammer"? Not this guy.)

Metallica - Master of Puppets: This was the album I was last looking forward to. I've come so far without ever having to say I've listened to a Metallica. This is no longer true, but I'm thoroughly surprised at how much I liked it. I really shouldn't be though, Master of Puppets has been so assimilated (ala Licensed to Ill) in rock music that now I hear all the influences that I never before thought about. Dug the heck out of the pure rock that is "Orion".

Run D.M.C. - Raising Hell: This came cross much more immediately than Licensed to Ill did. So many great rap songs that I had picked up via osmosis throughout the years without realizing it was Run D.M.C. Even the obvious "Walk this Way" didn't seem so corny in the context of the album. Great flow, gotta love it.

Talking Heads - True Stories: This album was way more straightforward than I was hoping. I was also surprised at how melodramatic and sappy this was. Not that there weren't some really good songs on here. Very eccentric pop, like you'd expect from David Byrne.

Afrikaa Bambaataa and Soulsonic Force - Planet Rock: The Album: More hip-hop pioneers, but this time with a heaping helping of funk. This album was a party without feeling dated and too goofy. (Well it is a little goofy.) Unlike with Run and Beastie Boys, the real stars of this album are the instrumentals. Holds up stellar today.

That concludes my week stuck in 1986. There were unfortunately some albums I didn't get to that I wanted: Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus for one. It was a big year for metal and I wanted to round out my swatch of metal, but just ran out of time. What I've heard though, makes me wish I had gotten to it. Missed out on Yo La Tengo's Ride the Tiger and Depeche Mode's Black Celebration. Of course there's nothing stopping me from being a normal person and listen to them when ever I feel like it. I'll probably never fully overcome my 80's discrimination, but with just week I understand things a little better, and even see how it kinda sorta maybe at least a little bit contributed to the 90's and after's music I enjoy. Which in and of itself is a big deal.

Now I can be more informed in answering this question. My favorite album of 1986 is probably R.E.M.'s Life's Rich Pageant, closely followed by Run D.M.C.'s Raising Hell.
Old 2012.10.20, 07:49 PM   #20
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^Sounds like Rolling Stones' recap of albums on their "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote