Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.10.09, 06:19 AM   #11
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by bebio View Post
I will wait maybe until late afternoon of the 10th before trying to download.
Maybe, but they know what to expect. They knows how many pre-orders they have, and how popular it's going to be. It'll be all over torrent sites within the hour anyway.
Old 2007.10.09, 04:52 PM   #12
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

THANK YOU FOR ORDERING IN RAINBOWS. THIS IS AN UPDATE.

YOUR UNIQUE ACTIVATION CODE(S) WILL BE SENT OUT TOMORROW MORNING (UK TIME). THIS WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD AREA.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD:

THE ALBUM WILL COME AS A 48.4MB ZIP FILE CONTAINING 10 X 160KBPS DRM FREE MP3s.

Edit: Well, I've listened to the albums twice. I've kept away from all live bootlegs, so it's all fresh and new and thus far it's grabbed me more than any other Radiohead record upon first listen. Nude, Reckoner and Faust Arp stand out to me so far. The album seems to be pretty minimal instrumentally, but not in an icy cold way like Kid A. More like an acoustic sound scape. And the drums are pretty prominent! I like the drums. I can't wait for these songs to evolve in my head, like all Radiohead songs do and I can't believe theres a second disk coming in two months!

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2007.10.10 at 03:48 AM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.10, 05:25 AM   #13
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

I just downloaded the album, but I'm not at home right now and cannot hear it.
I will listen to it this afternoon, and post my thoghts, although I already knew every single song inside out for more than a year except Faust Arp, and I already loved these songs to begin with, so I doubt I'll be minimally dissapointed.

Nine inch Nails, Oasis and Jamiroquai and others are all considering following the same move as radiohead according to ateaseweb.com...
Old 2007.10.10, 07:37 AM   #14
Inaudible-Whisper

I've been reading some impressions on Mortigi Tempo from people who have been listening to the bootlegs all year, and quite a few didn't like the new version of Videotape and were surprised by how much Reckoner had changed for the better. That's one of the reasons I don't like listening to bootlegs. The songs often change so much, but you get used to aspects of them and once they're gone or changed the song feels like it's missing something. Whereas when I listen to the album version, the bootleg version sounds wrong and I'd prefer to be more intimate with the albums versions than the bootlegs.

Edit: Nude is frickin' beautiful!

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2007.10.10 at 06:11 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.11, 05:04 AM   #15
bebio

I don't know... I guess people have the right to want the music to sound cristallised, and stand tall and proud against the test of time, but I never really understood that attitude, if I can say this without the least hint of superiority or arrogance.

For me, personally, as a musician, there's few pleasures in life as great as that of seeing songs evolve over time. When you create a song, you know it's never finished, it is an organic entity, like a tree, that adapts to new circumstances, is open to reinterpretations, to new meanings, to new surprises.

My own philosophy in writing music has always been that an album is simply a Polaroid snapshot of how a band woke up for a few mornings and pushed a record button somewhere. But the greatest songs always have a life of their own that outlasts any Polaroid. Even a few days ago, I picked up this old song I'd written 5 years back, and started tinkering with it again, because a few new ideas for it came up in my mind. Now I'm altering some lyrics, changing some sections, and it's exciting work.
Even famous painters would retouch their paintings, years after they'd supposedly "finished" them.

If Radiohead had pushed the record button, the songs would be different from what he have now. If they pushed the button next year, the songs would also be different. And that's what I admire about them. I'm so happy that they changed so many things since the bootleg period. Because for me, listening to the album was a totally fresh experience. I would have been dissapointed if I pushed "play" and I got a rehash of what I heard a year before. If people are not meant to hear the songs in an initial form, then Radiohead should cease playing all of them live, no?
Like I said, I hope this is not interpreted as an arrogant statement, it's just that, why would I collect bootlegs to hear "copy & paste" versions of an album? I only collect bootlegs of artists that have this "organic" attitude to song making, and are always finding ways to inject new views of older songs. And Shiina fits in that category.

I don't really understand why a bootleg song would sound "wrong" compared to it's "official" counterpart, but I don't mean to sound rude when I say this. I look at what they've done recently live with Like Spinning Plates, and it sounds almost like a completely different song, absolutely amazing. If I get the Amnesiac version, and use software to reverse it, it's actually the demo version of "I will" that appears in Hail to the Thief. And "I will" has an excellent, different version in the Com Lag Ep... For me, all 3 versions of this song feel "right", I suppose.

but returning to the album, it's all top notch material. the best things in life really are free (or a least at a cheaper price than suspected)

Thanks for the interesting discussion, inaudible whisper. Of course you are totally entitled to prefer to just hear one version of a song, and in no way I intend to minimize that.
Old 2007.10.11, 06:25 AM   #16
Inaudible-Whisper

No, no, no, don't get me wrong. I don't want to limit myself to one version of the songs at all. I'll happily download and listen to the bootlegs now, and I have a ton of live Radiohead material (I love Like Spinning Plates live too).

It's listening to the bootlegs of new songs before I've heard the final song that I don't like to do. I have no problem with it, I just choose to be surprised. Maybe it would be interesting to hear the song evolve, but I'd rather hear the finished product with it being completely new to me as sometimes it can disappoint if it doesn't turn out how I'd envisaged based on the bootlegs. I listened to some Babyshambles demo's before the album came out, and a song called UnStookieTitled was my favourite song. It was a slow, beautiful ballad and my most anticipated song, and on the album it turned out to be about twice as fast with a slightly different riff. As it turns out, the album version is still fantastic, but upon first listen it left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and that's why I'd rather listen to the songs in their final form and THEN go back and listen to other versions. Then the album version would have felt fresh and cool, and upon listening to the demo version I'd think "Oooh. I like this slower version" and not "Aw, I wish this slower version was on the album" if that makes sense.

It's a bit like how some people will look up every detail and spoiler for Lost. They'll read snippets on the story, and look at pictures and filming footage. Obviously when they watch the episode it'll turn out a bit different to what they had in their mind, but they'll have the basic gist of how the story goes. I'd rather watch it knowing nothing, enjoying the episode with a fresh mind. Maybe that's a bit of a dodgy analogy, but it's similar to how I feel 'spoiling' the music before I've heard it's final form.
Old 2007.10.16, 05:24 AM   #17
bebio

oh ok, your point of view is clear to me now.

P.S sorry for the late reply, been quite busy lately...
yesterday I listened to hail to the thief (hadn't listened to it for maybe more than one year), and it just feels like a very underrated album. Listening back in context, it sits very nice in their discography. It was great listening again to punchup at a wedding and myxomatosis... I should start listening to the Eraser and greenwood's solo works again as well...
Old 2007.10.16, 06:37 AM   #18
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Hail to the Thief FTW! I agree bebio, it's very underrated from what I can tell. There are some songs on there that are hard to get used to at first, but once you give them enough plays you begin to see how incredible the album is.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.16, 08:01 AM   #19
Inaudible-Whisper

I've always loved Hail to the Thief. I don't know if I'd say it's underrated though, as far as I know the Radiohead community love it, it just doesn't compete with Kid A and OK Computer which I'd agree with. Any Radiohead album is astounding though, be it their best or worst (Apart from maybe Pablo Honey).
Old 2007.10.18, 07:49 PM   #20
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think this album is great.
I especially liked 15 Step.
fyi, I'm not a Radiohead fan the way I say I'm an SR fan. But I admire them, and even more after this whole first degree price discrimination pricing policy on In Rainbows thing (yeah my Econ prof was discussing this in class).