Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.15, 10:38 AM   #21
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
So Tamatebeko was the product of a musician who 'sold out?'
That was 2007 and for something awesome like kabuki, this is now for shitty mainstream tv. Many people saw the anniversary releases as a cash-in or borderline selling out. I didn't agree, but this is totally different from then. Also, selling out doesn't mean bad music.
Old 2009.04.15, 10:42 AM   #22
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I agree, totally.

So Tamatebeko was the product of a musician who 'sold out?'

That Japanese RnB artist, Asuka is who I'd call a sellout (Not that Japanese RnB artists have much 'artistic integrity' anyway, but this artist was actually talented)
Which Asuka? BTW, now that you talked about Tamatebako, I started to wonder how great it would be if the b-side was actually that awesome song .
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.15, 10:48 AM   #23
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Which Asuka?
The one who now goes by the name of ARIA

http://www.jpopmusic.com/forums/view...a57384871c1863

She was like a lesser example of Shiina Ringo. From unique, 'raw' music to generic copycat trash.

And sure, Ringo's EXPO merchandise totally pissed me off.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.15, 02:26 PM   #24
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I admit that when I first read the thread title I thought this was another theme song for a drama and the words "sell out" did cross my mind. I'm not saying it's not a possibility but it's too early too tell.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.16, 01:28 AM   #25
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I really don't think this is her selling out. The boyband thing maybe, but as a mother and musician this must be a very fulfilling project. Minna no Uta is probably a respected TV programme (I'm not 100%, could ask my girlfriend) and not commercial crap so no problem there.

In the light of what we can hear of the drama theme I'm also expecting a Boku wa Kuma rather than a Ringo no Uta but I hope she really defies conventions and properly rocks again. Old Ringo's music and persona is probably waaay more interesting for kids.

Edit: lol, I don't mean the in-nurse-costume-licking-another-woman persona, but I'm convinced my friend's 6-year-old son would seriously like the Tsumi to Batsu PV. Or maybe be freaked out by the half-car. Oh I dunno.

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.04.16 at 01:42 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.16, 02:38 AM   #26
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

so suddently ringo no uta is a bad song because it was produced for minna no uta? I don't think so....

the whole sell out thing is kind of funny. I mean, in my perspective, and based on the ringo quote that I have in the other thread about the new single, ringo said in an interview that at one time she knew her career as ringo would only last 3 albums, but since then because of people she has met and things in her life happening, she has more stories and more things to do, more music which isn't in the earlier three albums. I take this as meaning she has no interest in making another MM, SS, or KZK. They are there, if she wanted to continue down that road, she has those 3, so she is done. But being such a large figure, and especially after the huge success of Sakuran, I'm sure loads of people are coming knocking on her door. I don't think she is doing it for the money at all, which is what constitutes selling out to me. I think she is doing it because she honestly likes doing it, either the challenge or the fun task of working with new people and creating fun new music that perhaps she hasn't tried playing with on her own that much before.

we have a confirmed new album, and now that we have this song, it will probably serve as her second single for the album. what is funny is I saw people commenting on this in the 2ch thread for the new b-side/album and I just ignored it because I thought they were referring to something else. durrrrrr
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.16, 04:51 AM   #27
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
so suddently ringo no uta is a bad song because it was produced for minna no uta? I don't think so...
Who said that? If you were referring to me (which I don't know xD) I just said 'Ringo no Uta' is not her best single, but it IS a great song o_O.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.16, 05:09 AM   #28
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

It comes with "La Salle de Bain" and "Ringo Catalogue", not to mention "Ringo no Uta" itself. How can it not be one of her best singles?
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.16, 05:12 AM   #29
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

according to tokyograph.com "With her own son in elementary school, Shiina said that she aimed to create a song that both parents and children could sing, like a new "do-re-mi." She also explained that she wanted a rhythm that would make people want to dance, forgetting about worries such as the ongoing global recession."
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.16, 05:53 AM   #30
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ringo no Uta is my favourite SR/TJ single.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote