Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.05.17, 11:04 PM   #91
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
I wonder just how many SR's songs are inspired by these great classical pieces lol. Well, of course, she trained as a ballet dancer when she was little. Maybe she heard many ballet pieces?
Two covers and one lullaby in Utaite Myouri, that goes without saying? And actually «Toki ga Bousou Suru» contains a few opening bars in Mozart's KV331 before the final refrain, which is also very obvious.
vielleicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.17, 11:11 PM   #92
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Her favourite videogame is Road Rash. I have no proof but it is true.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.17, 11:56 PM   #93
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Lol It might be an inspiration for Noriki =P
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.18, 12:35 AM   #94
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by vielleicht View Post
Two covers and one lullaby in Utaite Myouri, that goes without saying? And actually «Toki ga Bousou Suru» contains a few opening bars in Mozart's KV331 before the final refrain, which is also very obvious.
I love the Mozart reference in "Toki ga Bousou Suru", song wouldn't be the same without it. "Komoriuta" (based on Chopin's op. 34 n. 2) is also probably my favourite non-original piece by her, ever.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.16, 05:06 PM   #95
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm not sure where to put this, so:
Pronouns are pretty damn important in Japanese. I won't go into details (use wikipedia), but generally "atashi" = very feminine, "watashi" = feminine, "boku" = masculine/neutral, "ore" = extremely masculine/very strong-willed

For Shiina, it seems a little strange that in her Muzai Moratorium/Shouso Strip days, she mostly used "atashi", even though she had this image of a "badass rocker chick".

She used "boku" from the late Shouso Strip-era, but she uses it infrequently.

She mostly uses "watashi" to refer to herself right now.

The only time she has used "ore" is in Kronekodow, because it is told from a proud black cat's perspective.

Thoughts?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.16, 11:50 PM   #96
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

^^^^ I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she keeps to standard address structure within a song, no matter which form she chooses. When she uses "watashi" or "atashi," the you-form is "anata." And "kimi" goes with "boku." Pretty standard.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.17, 07:21 AM   #97
TurtleFu

Well, yeah.
My point is, which pronoun you use in Japanese is a part of self-identification and how you want to come across to the listener/receiver.

Like, MM-era she had an image of this really tough, non-feminine girl, but she used the very feminine "atashi", and as she got older she switched to "watashi" (which is less feminine and little more mature).

I'm curious why she uses "boku" in certain songs.
Old 2011.07.17, 08:43 AM   #98
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I'll defer to anyone with proper Japanese skills here but I once asked someone why a female singer used "boku" when I lived over there (pretty sure it was early Utada), and was told it was just a songwriting convention.

More tenously I always associated SR's use of "atashi" to her own identification with her lyrical subject matter, precisely as an ordinary girl, just well okay not a pretty frilly dresses ordinary girl. I mean there's Memai and there's Henry Rollins.

My ex-girlfriend was a cool, sussed chick as well and she used "atashi". I think it's fairly normal for young women. I texted a friend of mine about it but she's not back to me on that yet

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.07.17 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Refined my point. Not sure I had a point but I refined it anyway.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.17, 10:04 AM   #99
TurtleFu

I've heard some women use boku in an everyday way. One was a lesbian.

It's interesting because if Muzai Moratorium is supposed to be Ringo's most personal songs, the songs themselves seem to reflect an idea of self as an ordinary girl, and we all know Ringo was anything but ordinary. She even felt that way in 17.

So, then, the question is: are the subject matter of the songs what Ringo actually felt, or what she thinks she should have felt?

I think it all comes down to the distinction between the performer (Shiina Ringo) and the person (Shiina Yumiko). Or, if you want, the persona and the person.
Old 2011.07.17, 04:52 PM   #100
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Watashi is not feminine. It is neutral and can be used by either sex.

I do agree though, she's gone from atashi to watashi. Probably when you reach a certain age, maybe after 25, you feel silly using atashi anymore.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote