Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.03.30, 06:31 AM   #41
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

So apparently Gibusu is even more used than Gipusu. That clears things up, for me. Thanks pariscombo
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.30, 08:07 AM   #42
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Okay. So you know how the Japanese wiki says this title does NOT mean orthopedic cast in this case? I posted a question on the notes page (in Japanese) asking why that was the case. I got this response finally.

英語圏に「Gibbs」という姓が存在します(wikipediaにも項目がある)のでこれとなんらかの関係があるかもしれませんし、あるいは造語という 可能性もあります。しかしこの曲のタイトルが「ギプス」と無関係であるという証拠が今のところ執筆者によって提示されていないという事実はなんら変わりません。
My translation:
Because in the English-speaking world the name "Gibbs" exists (Wikipedia has entries on it), so there might be some connection, or there is also the possibility she coined the word. However the fact has not changed at all that at present, proof that this song's title is unrelated to "gipusu/Gips [plaster casts]" has not been presented by the author herself.
Uh... okay, but that still isn't really solid evidence to justify that statement. Huh. I guess the consensus is that no one knows for sure what she means here. I think the best thing we have to go on is that on her English site it's "Gips."
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.30, 09:17 AM   #43
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Okay. So you know how the Japanese wiki says this title does NOT mean orthopedic cast in this case? I posted a question on the notes page (in Japanese) asking why that was the case. I got this response finally.

My translation:

Uh... okay, but that still isn't really solid evidence to justify that statement. Huh. I guess the consensus is that no one knows for sure what she means here. I think the best thing we have to go on is that on her English site it's "Gips."
considering ringo lived in england, speaks at least some english, and has demonstrated quite an astute knowledge of german and russian culture/literature, I do not think she could have coined a term out of no-where without realizing it. she has never had a song on any album of her titled as such (made-up/coined/jibberish) so I think in this scenario the meaning is simply unclear but why discount the obvious, simply because the japanese fans say since ringo has never stated the intended meaning?

to me, plaster cast makes sense. to me the song is about a relationship that was cut short, either one of the partners died or left or whatever, but the general idea is with a plaster cast, you make it around a limb but it inself is hollow if you remove the part it covers. its shaped of and by your body but it in itself is hollow. in my mind that fits the image in my head of the song, which is kind of a tragic love song about a lost lover, how after it all ends you kind of just keep on going, a cast of former self/former relationship. this is based on personal interpretations after years of sitting with the music and not on the lyrics persay, but in my mind it fits.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.03, 01:53 PM   #44
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

In British English a "plaster" is a band-aid, right? So it could also be that. I was just hoping there would be some sort of source explaining why the Japanese wiki claims that, and there wasn't, so it's back to square one. I'm just going to stick with "Gips" since that's all her website has.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.23, 09:29 PM   #45
yulio

yulio pleased at least somebody

the synthesizers in this songs are fabulous.
yulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.01, 11:24 PM   #46
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by yulio View Post
the synthesizers in this songs are fabulous.
I like the bubble noises at the beginning of Gibs, and that they amplified them for Expo because the song's not the same without them. Carbonated J-pop ballad.

Sigma's trashy, fun and mildly underrated.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.09, 06:10 PM   #47
yulio

yulio pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
I like the bubble noises at the beginning of Gibs, and that they amplified them for Expo because the song's not the same without them. Carbonated J-pop ballad.

Sigma's trashy, fun and mildly underrated.
Yes, the synthesizers are the only good thing in this song. specially at the end , the noise/distorted frequency and all!
yulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.28, 06:12 PM   #48
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

The synthesizers are good in everything she does. You may have heard of a show entitled Zazen Extasy?

Speaking about the meaning of the word "Gips", I think plaster casting is what she is really referring to, and I don't really think it's a mystery because of this television show appearance. In the complete footage of her appearance (which I believe is somewhere on YouTube), if I remember correctly, she points out some random guy wearing a cast in the audience and says "Oh, there's Gips!". Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 2010.09.28, 06:35 PM   #49
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

That´s actually right. She thought that it was a homage, but he was injured for real, so she apologized.
Yeah, thinking about this incident, the meaning is very clear.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote