Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.17, 11:45 PM   #51
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

check out the 2nd page of this thread. there is talk of SS being influenced by the idea of the first half being about crime and the second punishment, with Tsumi to Batsu smack in the middle. Most of this think that that is merely a fan speculated theory. I don't buy into it...I do, however, know the car's license plate in the PV says "crime and punishment" in Russian, exactly the same as it is on the novel. also, random, but that car's name was Hitler, after it was blown up the remains were placed in EMI's company musuem, and she has since bought a new card that she revealed to have named "Tuberculin" on a tv show.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.26, 06:18 PM   #52
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

Just a quick note

I showed my friend the NHK perfomances and she got to watch most of the talking parts.

Right before tsumi to batsu's performance, she told me that ringo talks about her been ill from stress or something to that extent. Up until she collapes , and from the relapse came Tsumi to batsu.

Shes japanese so i hope she understood right.

lemme know if im off.
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.26, 06:21 PM   #53
kuro_neko

yeah, during the tsumi to batsu part she was talking about how miserable she was, she was stressed out/sick, she didn't like herself, her parents had a lot of criticism to make, she ended up having some sort of collapse, and in the process wrote Tsumi to Batsu. in a sense you could think of the song as Ringo admitting her wrong and repenting.

SS-era was Ringo's hardest time. She released Honnou, which was grossly misunderstand and interpreted as grossly sexual, and people characterized her as a freak, a singer by day prostitute by night who wrote spells on the floor beneath her bed. she was haunted by the ghost of her honnou-self for years after, you can even see her referencing this in the Ichijiku no Hana video (the dead Nurse appears several times in the corner of some shots), this lead in part to her collapse as well. SS-era Ringo was not a happy camper.
Old 2009.07.26, 07:04 PM   #54
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

thats soo crazy , But thats probably also why there arent that many perfomances for Honnou while it was being released? . Its funny she always sings it live. I love that song . Btw, im too lazy to post it now. But I was walkign in rockfeller center, passing the broadway theater and saw "Tori Amos" and I thought . "hey kuro-neko would like that , I should take a picture.
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.26, 08:59 PM   #55
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

See, i think thats weak sauce on Shiina's part. Being all thin skinned about what people say about her after she goes out of her way to be incendiary or audacious. Thats like me getting all self conscious and whiny if peopl here call me a big meanie or whatever. I'd tell myself to shut up and grow a pair. Its the equivelent of "don't dish it if you can't take it."

This also chalks it up to the notion that you can't be happy and make great art.
Old 2009.07.26, 09:40 PM   #56
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
thats soo crazy , But thats probably also why there arent that many perfomances for Honnou while it was being released? . Its funny she always sings it live.
Not really... she rarely sings it nowadays, actually. I can only think of Ringo Expo and Spa & Treatment (I think?) but before that, it hadn't been sung since before Jihen-era.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.26, 09:52 PM   #57
kuro_neko

honnou was played at EXPO, then before that I think the last time, in a jazzy arrangement, was Just Can't Help It. Before that, Honnou hadn't been played since a medley with Jihen/Soil and Pimp, and before THAT it hadn't been touched since GXstacy.

Jihad, your reasoning seems a bit off to me. Ringo crafted a very delicate song that no translation can truly capture, the lyrics walk a line between being provocative and emotionally revealing. On a whole, the song seems quite revealing. I don't think she was upset with the song, more with the reaction to the PV. It was like the only thing people focused on was the part where she touches and kisses a chick. People were saying how nasty and what a freak she was. Her intention was to create a work embodying a women's right to sexual freedom and fantasy. The work was as much Ringo getting off playing dress up as it was men watching it and having nose bleeds. I don't think this sexual nature bothered Ringo, I think what bothered her was the reaction was focused on one tiny bit of a larger picture. She could go on tv and have interviews and say what it was about, but it was always "are you a lesbian?" "how do you feel to be queen of cosplay?" "are you a prostitute?" etc etc.
Old 2009.07.26, 10:30 PM   #58
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I was talking about the PV. She's stupid if she couldn't forsee that reaction. Let's face it, it's not like the following PVs stuff she did (until the hiatus) really helped anyone think she was a 'polite old lady' in reality.
Old 2009.07.26, 11:04 PM   #59
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Hi guys, welcome to the Tsumi to Batsu thread.
It that's the story I guess I like miserable vulnerable SR as opposed to the happy one. I'm a sadist like that.
Old 2009.07.27, 12:13 AM   #60
kuro_neko

well you could argue she was happy when she made KZK. her battle had already been fought at that point and what we got was kind of like whatever, I'm too cool for this shit. in fact, Utaite Myouri was released because she needed another album for her record deal, and they thought her career was over after SS and she got pregnant. She refused a Best Hits collection, like they wanted to do, so she compiled UM. Then time goes by and out comes KZK, totally out of left field. The woman is clearly nuts.

also, more than anything Ringo was dealing with becoming famous overnight. now she knows she is hot shit, that might have something to do with it.