Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.02.04, 08:31 AM   #101
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Watched (500) Days of Summer last night.

Overall it was pretty decent, but I did not like the ending. .-.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.07, 01:24 PM   #102
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Went to see The Princess and the Frog today. Not the Disney return to the form I expected (script wasn't all that, songs were forgettable). Solid movie, but I guess we were a bit disappointed.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.09, 01:18 PM   #103
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Saw Precious today (Playing catch-up)

It was just decent. Didn't really 'pluck at my heartstrings', because I felt as if the director rammed an encyclopedia of Emotional Traumas One Could Suffer In a Lifetime down my throat.

I do think that Monique's monologue at the end was good and deserved the acclaim.

Yeah, it was okay.
Old 2010.02.09, 02:12 PM   #104
moxxite3

moxxite3 pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
Finally saw Inglorious Basterds last night. It was pretty close to perfect.
near perfect? the most perfect of all? does it matter?

It doesn't matter
Inglorious Basterds is a great film...
have to admit though to my self that I was sceptical first,
because Brad Pitt was starring it. But when I left the theatre on my own two feet's, I've was turned.
I have to admit honestly that I've have never ever been a fan of Brad but he did an terrific job in the film. Actually everyone did. very entertaining piece of film.

Last edited by moxxite3 : 2010.02.09 at 02:16 PM.
moxxite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.09, 02:19 PM   #105
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

if you want to see a similar movie to precious but different in all regards and infinitely better, check out Fish Tank, if you are in the US and have Comcast on Demand, its in the "in theatres" section of IFC movies. The director won an academy award for a short she did, and then her first full length film, Red Road, followed by Fish Tank, both received the Special Jury Prize at Cannes.

I actually saw it in the theatre and was really moved. It tells the story of a 15 year old girl living in the slums of England. Her mother is your typical irresponsible mildly abusive alcohol and both her and her sister are exposed to much in their tiny flat. Soon after the story starts the mother starts seeing a young man, who develops an interesting relationship with the main character, that walks the line between paternal and something else. Hip Hop is a major theme in the film as the main character, much outcast and frustrated, spends much of her time expressing herself through hip hop dancing, which is unpolished but expressive. overall its a really eye opening and exhilarating coming of age story, unflinching in its honesty of real situations and exploration of human relationships. it was probably one of the best movies I've seen in quite a long time

Fish Tank Trailer

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.09 at 02:31 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.20, 05:26 AM   #106
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

The past week I've seen an awful lot of movies. In theaters Valentines Day (blehh. Missed Alias reunion opportunities.) and Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (AWESOME). And I watched District 9, which is nothing short of genius.

Today I rocked netflix streaming with first The Red Shoes (I'd wanted to watch it for sooo long and I just saw they added it.) which was... not as good as I expected but it was pretty and The Earrings of Madame de... which is yaay Charles Boyer! Lackluster dragging movie though. (I don't know why I like Charles Boyer, he's a douche in the 2 movies I've seen him in. But he's <3.)

I just watched David Lean's Brief Encounter. Which is another movie I've been wanting to watch and just saw they had it on streaming. OMGoodness this movie is a masterpiece. It's beautiful, fantastic and the people seem real and you can see real life in the 40s. (or... it's set in the 30s.) Everything I want in a movie. It easily turned out to be one of my favorite movies and probably my favorite David Lean movie. (Even with Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia in competition) Everyone should see it noww.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.21, 09:42 PM   #107
kuro_neko

watched Shutter Island. Or should I say, Silent Hill: Shutter Island

SPOILERS AHEAD

I gotta say, the similarities between certain elements of Silent Hill 5 and Silent Hill Shattered Memories was pretty staggering. The lighthouse was a dead giveaway to me, thanks to Shattered Memories. We were going "Cheryl!? Cheryl?" from the start, but as soon as the Lighthouse became a focal point, it just intensified with jokes about Dr. Kaufman. It was so eerily similar, to the point where he busts through the door and the music builds and drops out.

it was awesome to see a film with such beautiful locations. New England has a long history with mental institutions which were built and eventually went out of business. Many of them became public parks, but they had problems with patients coming back to wander the grounds. It seems that when the government ran out of funding they just kicked the patients out with no real concern. At any rate, sets in the movie were mostly real places, shot on location throughout Massachusetts. As an avid urban explorer, I've been to and photographed many of them (many of which are already gone, sadly). The major location in the film is Medfield Insane Asylum, which has been preserved and opened to the public as park for the past few years, thankfully. The pivotal scene at the cabin by the lake was shot fifteen minutes from my house at a famous local park. Kinda trippy, I had no idea they were even there. As soon as I saw that familiar stone cabin I was like NO WAY, haha. On a whole, a really awesome movie, and even cooler to see a talented director really address something I have a lot of interest in.

the only part that bothered me is the set up of Shutter Island. There is no way Boston Harbor is big enough to even have an island that large (although there are in fact many scattered islands with civil war prisons and lookouts etc, such as George's Island), when they were arriving I was looking at the open waves and thinking "where is the shoreline?" and by the time they pulled through to the island I was just chuckling to myself at how it resembled the island in King Kong and not something off the coast of NE. The opening shot of abandoned buildings against the water with the mountains in the back was pretty creative, as was many shots throughout the movie where they added cliffs and oceanviews to locations deep in the middle of the forest. Anyways, that was just my impressions as a local into the whole history of mental institutions in NE.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.21 at 09:45 PM.
Old 2010.02.23, 09:16 AM   #108
Scribble R

Somehow I had it in my head that the Shrek series was decent then went downhill. Somehow. (I watched Shrek 1 last night and it was quite average)
Old 2010.02.24, 10:44 PM   #109
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Looks like a problem with inventory in concessions resulted in every single employee at the movie theater I work at getting their free movie theater passes revoked - including the people in box office who have absolutely nothing to do with those shortages. I guess that's why they call them "privileges" here at Cinemark instead of benefits. It's a shame too. I was enjoying free movies at my theater for a while. Hell, I'd sneak in and see parts of movies on my lunch breaks. But now we have managers patrolling the halls and employees ratting each other out lately.

Anyway though, I did see Shutter Island at my sister's old theater recently and really enjoyed it. Martin Scorsese is a director who really has a talent for getting audiences to feel emotional during his movies. I don't think many directors could have made Shutter Island as captivating as it was. That's not to say that the script is poor (because it's not) but it's the way that it's filmed that makes it worth watching. I won't spoil anything here to those who haven't seen it but I definitely recommend watching it. It's also the kind of film that's worth seeing again because you'll see things in a very different perspective the second time around.

I'm currently addicted to Netflix instant streaming on my PS3. There's a lot of great movies, as well as awful B horror movies, that I haven't seen so it's a great way to catch up. There's nothing like getting home from an exhausting day at work and being able to watch an unintentionally hilarious shark attack movie. I have to say this though - some of the bad horror titles from their selection are absolutely atrocious, and not in a good way.

I tried to watch Thankskilling, a movie about a talking turkey who goes on a rampage and kills people. Now, make no mistake, I wasn't expecting this to be good or even decent for that matter. But man, it was BAD. Agonizingly BAD. It was so stupid that I could feel my brain cells being absolutely annihilated every second I watched this monstrosity. This movie, and I use the term "movie" loosely here, was basically an amateur project that made high school English projects look high budget in comparison. The turkey cracks some of the most awful jokes you'll ever hear. No, really. I think the voice actor who voiced this rubber turkey that was most likely bought for $5 at the bargain bin at Wal-Mart made up those lines on the spot. In fact, I don't think they even had a script. I think they just made the whole thing up as they went along. The problem with Thankskilling is that they're aware it's bad and they try to run with it. And that's about as unfunny as you can get. They try to purposely be as awful as they can and that's not what makes bad horror movies funny. The reason low budget horror films are so funny is that there is at least a degree of serious filming that goes into them. The people who made the Shark Attack movies thought they were making decent movies. Ed Wood thought he was a good director. That's funny! But Thankskilling? Man, it's just in its own category. It reminds me of some dumb skit that a couple of kids would post on YouTube. You really have to see it to believe it. And this post was a lot longer than I had originally intended it to be.
Old 2010.02.27, 09:37 PM   #110
kuro_neko

finally got around to seeing antichrist, which was playing at the local independent near my house.

charlotte gainsborough was snubbed man, I'd like to see Sandra Bullock mutilate herself like that.

probably the most intense and amazing performance of all 2009.