Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.11.27, 06:47 AM   #271
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I would think the clips of the streaming video would be somewhere on the internet already but no dice.
Old 2013.11.30, 05:17 AM   #272
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22335800
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.01, 08:50 AM   #273
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Okay, I've watched the Zazen Ecstasy Blu-ray, and WOW.

This is the ultimate Ringo concert. Whoever doesn't have it is either not a Ringo fan, or is a Ringo fan with something amazing to look forward to.

First thing: I found it funny in light of the Katy Perry thing to see Ringo's performance of Unconditional Love. If Katy can't do Unconditionally in kimono, then Ringo can't do Unconditional Love in kimono. Talk about cultural appropriation! And then the crucifix at the end....horror of horrors, Judeo-Christian iconography in Japan! Whatever.....

Okay, the awesomeness of this concert. Maybe being in Kyushu did something to spark Ringo's energy, but in no other filmed concert is she so animated. Intense expressions, dancing in place, jumping, pulling the mike off the stand and knocking it over (twice), she makes every song special. She's not constricted on stage by an intricate costume or choreography. She also seems free of inhibitions. All the songs are Ringo standards, and if I had one complaint, it would be that Stoicism seems a weak finish. But she more than makes up for it with Nihon ni umarete, a beautiful encore with her at the piano.

As for the sound, this is yet another pounding LCM track with details coming alive. I still prefer GX for its setlist and attitude (especially Honnou and Tsumi to Batsu), but Zazen is a straight-up, no B.S., Ringo-in-rock-mode, one-woman spectacular. This is the one everyone should own.

Expo08 next.

EDITED TO ADD: I also like the irony of the concert title. Everyone in the audience has to sit "in meditation" while Ringo is practically jumping out of her skin on the stage.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.01, 07:53 PM   #274
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
And then the crucifix at the end....horror of horrors, Judeo-Christian iconography in Japan! Whatever.....
Christians pretty much made Christianity a big joke on their own though... Evangelion also made it OK to use Christian Iconography in Japan, that's an official rule now :-p

That and noone's heard of Shiina Ringo in the west cept us and a couple people yet to join/who've already left EMF :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.01 at 08:01 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.02, 07:14 AM   #275
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

And then the crucifix at the end....horror of horrors, Judeo-Christian iconography in Japan! Whatever.....
Someone (Frecklegirl?) pointed out the significance of crucified Ringo wearing the GX outfit. This was during a time when Ringo was dealing with the success of "Honnou" and that she was being played up as being some psycho perv and not a real artist. If I remember correctly, she mentioned in some interview that people assumed she carried a whip around in her purse, not being able to distinguish her artistic expression from her day-to-day self. I believe the subject matter of such songs as "Mokuren no Cream" (and later, "Bonsai Hada") allude to Ringo struggling to deal with her reputation. In essence, Ringo was representing her "media crucifixion" at ZX.

EDIT: Also, while I am pretty irreverent and critical of religion as a whole, Christianity has had a very torrid history in Japan. I believe Nagasaki was also a major hub of Christianity in Japan during the early 20th century, and we all know how that ended.
Old 2013.12.02, 07:34 AM   #276
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Nagasaki, by virtue of being the main trading port with the Portuguese. I wrote a paper on the Christianity in Japan, pre-Tokugawa. After that, it mostly became the center of rangaku studies (Dutch studies), because the Dutch were not missionaries (and Dejima, the Dutch trading post, was right off the bay).
There are books and articles on the kakure christians I've been meaning to read. But basically for a period of time, Christianity was outlawed and persecuted by the Tokugawa. This resulted in some really interesting art, like oratories shaped like lacquered shrines that could reasonably be considered something Shinto/Buddhist.

EDIT:
Yup, the bomb was in Urakami, which was the district of Nagasaki with the most Christian activity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ur...udoJan1946.jpg

EDIT EDIT:
Sorry, didn't explain that well. Kakure Christians are the "hidden" Christians that continued their private worship while under Tokugawa rule. They were heavily persecuted.
Many daimyou (feudal lords) converted to Christianity during Momoyama-Azuchi (pre-Tokugawa). In part it was to gain favor with the Portuguese, because the Portuguese had guns. It also helped subvert Buddhist authority, which was one of the reasons why Nobunaga supported the missionary school of Azuchi. At that time Buddhist temples were gaining considering influence, even militarily. Nobunaga appropriated Christian and Buddhist imagery to lend legitimacy to hisrule. Hideyoshi did contribute to the persecution, such as his mass crucifixion of Franciscan monks in 1597, but it became an official decree under Tokugawa authority.
I'll have to do some more reading into the meaning behind crucifixions in Japan, but it was more popular to have icons of Madonna and Child rather than crucifixes. Why, I'm not so sure... but crucifixes do exist, such as a lacquered one with an ivory Jesus, but as far as I know there is only one extant example from the pre-Edo time period (it's in Salamanca, Spain).

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.12.02 at 05:15 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.02, 08:57 AM   #277
Nimh
Administrator

Thanks for this information and insight, Entry and Turtle. I see the crucified GX Ringo as a conflicted symbol: someone being persecuted, yes, but also someone being martyred by her own creator. Is that crucified figure meant to be a sacrificial victim, or a monster to be purged? It's a little confusing. But like Entry says with Evangelion, the iconography may just be a cultural appropriation, used for its surface meaning, a gesture of coolness and cosmopolitanism that doesn't need to be read into all that much.
Old 2013.12.05, 12:39 PM   #278
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Little moments I also love: when she fans Hata with a super-serious expression (silly because there's no way that little fan is cooling him off), and when she walks offstage and pumps her arms in a "yay!" cheer. Something tells me she likes working with friends and colleagues because it gives her a chance to play around.
Yeah, I love the little things as well. Stuff like the "Hizumi" and "Shishou" call outs and the way she stares at Hirama while he plays the Mayonaka solo. The shot of Hirama as Ringo motions over to him while singing "as he play his guitar" was cool too. Those were the days, man.

Also of note, I think we got the most boring show from that tour on DVD. Just watching how Tadashii Machi shows off all the more fun things they did on the tour kinda makes me wish we got a show from one of the halls they performed in. Plus the fact that they didn't really take advantage of the Budokan stage. The people in the back had a boring view all night.
Old 2013.12.06, 10:02 AM   #279
Nimh
Administrator

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Plus the fact that they didn't really take advantage of the Budokan stage. The people in the back had a boring view all night.
I agree, I wouldn't be one of those folks standing in back trying to get a decent view. On the other hand, if this were the stage for Bon Voyage they'd probably spin the band in circles and eject members into the crowd, they were trying so hard to please.

One more note about Zazen, re: staging. I don't know why Ringo didn't hop over into that kabuki-style side platform on stage left for a little strutting. She did it in the music video they shot there for Yattsuke shigoto. Maybe concerns about security? She was certainly in a wandering mood that night. The poor guy trailing her to pick up the mike stand and to give her some cord slack really earned his pay.
Old 2013.12.10, 03:49 PM   #280
Nimh
Administrator

Just watched the RingoExpo08 Blu-ray.

Well......

The picture was nice. No color-bleeding like in the other Blu-rays, lots of good detail in the clothing, good black-white contrast.

The sound, not so good. This had a lot to do with the show itself. With so many instruments crowding the soundscape, I had to strain sometimes to hear Ringo's voice. Which is a shame, because she is clearly into the concert. She gives her all to Koko de kisu shite, Gips, and Yume no ato, and only when they mix her voice louder than the instruments could you really tell.

By far my favorite part was, as before, the section where she goes from Suberidai (one of my favorite songs of hers, that maybe doesn't get enough love around here?) to Yokushitsu to Oiran (a weird track to stick in there) to a great version of Tsumi to batsu that admittedly sounds like it should be the theme song to a Bond movie.

But who am I kidding?

Who am I kidding?

We all know what this show is all about.

It
is
all
about

The Onion Happy Song.

I enjoyed the show as before, but I can't really say I felt a huge sense of revelation that the other Blu-rays gave me. I know everyone says this is the only Blu-ray that has 1080p and therefore the only one worth purchasing, but so far I'd take ANY OTHER previous concert Blu-ray over this one.

I can take the revolving stage. I can take the contortionist chorus girls. I can take Junpei's prancing about. I can even take Saito Neko clapping his hands during Blackout. But I can't take a sound mix where Ringo's voice is drowned out.

Now I'm seriously looking forward to Ringohan, up next.