Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.06.25, 10:08 AM   #161
oasis_heart3

oasis_heart3 pleased at least somebody

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but what exactly makes Uki suck and Hirama rock to so many of you guys?

Being a person who's a casual music fan (based on the terms I've seen you guys use, and the fact that a lot of you play instruments and whatnot), I can't find anything wrong in their music. In fact, I like Phase 2's album ("Adult") much more than Phase 1's album ("Kyouiku"). The tracks just seem to fit together more on "Adult", like all the tracks are in the same vein of music or something, and it's not just a mix-up of different styles. But I digress...

In short: is it the personality, or notes that are/aren't being hit that makes you guys dislike Uki so much? Compare a song where Hirama shines to a song where Ukigumi fails miserably, and explain WHY you feel that way.

I just don't see why people don't like Uki and why they love Hirama so much. None of the members really seem like "Ohmigod, cool! And they have so much personality!!"...especially since Ringo's the main one I see and hear (Seiji's been around a lot, too).

Maybe if the part in red gets answered, this question won't be around as much anymore.

And for the record, from what I've seen, Hirama AND Uki both look like lost animals. Like they're bored or sad on stage. xD

PS: Why did Hirama leave the group anyway? Didn't people say he left because he and Ringo got into a conflict? If it's true, then at least Uki doesn't upset her.

Last edited by oasis_heart3 : 2007.06.25 at 10:11 AM.
oasis_heart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 10:23 AM   #162
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by oasis_heart3 View Post
Compare a song where Hirama shines to a song where Ukigumi fails miserably, and explain WHY you feel that way.
To do this "scientifically" (well, y'know, as much as you can when dealing with subjectivity )
Hirama: Gunjo Byori (Dynamite Out)
Ukigumo: Gunjo Byori (Tokyo Live Countdown show thing)

Both are the same style (ie: not the virgin line rendition)

lets do another one!

Jyuusui Negai
Hirama : Dynamite Out
Uki : JCHI

One not as disparaging, but one is still clearly superior:
Superstar (Dynamite v. JCHI)
Genjitsu no Warau (same)

Lets add some insult to injury!

Sounan! Uki apparently wrote the guitar line in the song, yet Hirama plays it.I've never heard Uki play Sounan, but to me its apparent that Hirama plays it better (live or on album) Hirma is playing "Uki-style" (for those that for whatever reason question his versatility) and it doesnt (to me) sound annoying and "wryy?"

Comparing Kyoiku and Adult and then saying "I like Uki better because Adults the better album" isnt quite fair. Kyoiku was butchered, Adult just sounds better plain and straight. Hirama is lost in Kyoiku cuz mostly, HZM is drowning out. Uki is lost in Adult cuz...well hes mixed waay in the back there. If you ask me thats telling. Most of my examples are live because that is far more telling (and thats when most of us became Hirama whores -- wHoramas, if you will.)

will i ever grow tired of the Hirama v. Uki arguments?

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.06.25 at 10:26 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 05:48 PM   #163
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

[fangirl]Hirama wins points with me just because he has longer and nicer hair than me. (And then he decided to cut it off! *cries*) [/fangirl]

I will suggest one more comparison:
Toumei Ningen Dynamite
Toumei Ningen Adult

I don't even like the dynamite version, but the adult version is a million times worse. I don't even think the song would be rearranged that way if not to fit in Uki's "unique" style of playing.

Kyouiku left me wanting for more, like you could hear so much potential that isn't really being captured on the recording; adult on the other hand, is kinda like "This is all we have to give." Plus adult has that annoying distinctively mainstream sound. I don't know how to describe it and I guess it's only something that I can hear, but whenever I hear that I kinda know that the next few albums wouldn't be as good (see HF?).

Can I suggest someone do the opposite? Meaning to pick one song where Uki shines and Hirama fails miserably? I'd really like to see bebio or zach say something about that.
Old 2007.06.25, 05:55 PM   #164
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Can I suggest someone do the opposite? Meaning to pick one song where Uki shines and Hirama fails miserably? I'd really like to see bebio or zach say something about that.
See, THATS how ya do it! Why do the Hirama fans/Old Shiina fand always have to bring the meat. Why do we always play defense? Uki/new Shiina stuff always gets criticized. Lets see some meat from that farm for a change.

Thats some rep, Justin.

I didnt say Toumei Ningen cuz the "different style" argument.

EDIT: We didnt land on plymouth rock! Plymouth Rock landed on us!

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.06.25 at 06:01 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 06:12 PM   #165
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by oasis_heart3 View Post
In short: is it the personality, or notes that are/aren't being hit that makes you guys dislike Uki so much? Compare a song where Hirama shines to a song where Ukigumi fails miserably, and explain WHY you feel that way.
Seriously, the Hirama supporters have explained time and time again why they prefer him over Uki. All th Uki fans bring to the table is some nonsense about "fitting with the band." Throughout his relatively short time with the band, he's showing that the band has to fit around him and his style. He lacks versatility and is limiting the band in a bad way. Hirama was the type of guitarist who would adapt his playing style to fit the song (see Sounan vs Crawl for style contrast or all of Electric Mole). Meanwhile, you can always count on Uki to play with his palm muted plucky style instead something else.

However, even with his lack of versatility, Ukigumo's tone is the main reason I can't stand him. His tone sounds like absolute garbage. It's over processed, sounds too digital and too trebly. Now Hirama was no tone king either, but it was much more organic and natural sounding.

Finally, Hirama was a much more emotional player than Uki. You don't even have to look at them to know this either; you can hear it when they play. The end of the Dynamite Out version of Ekimae is simply heartwrenching because of the emotion Hirama is able to express in the ending guitar line. Uki has never done this.
Old 2007.06.25, 06:18 PM   #166
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I didnt say Toumei Ningen cuz the "different style" argument.
Well, then the question should be, why was it even done in a different style if not for Ukigumo?

(Unless it was comissioned as a theme song for a lame children's program.)
Old 2007.06.25, 06:25 PM   #167
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I agree with you guys on most of the things but I think that even on the JCHI version of Jyuusui Negai that they are playing a more lax style in general. Whether it is to fit uki's "unique way" of playing I do not know but I get the feeling that it is not supposed to be as powerful as the original. Not to say that I like it more, I loved the DO version of the song and prefer it to the JCHI. I mean the piano was my favorite part of the DO version and it was not played as hard in JCHI and I don't think its just Izawa playing bad but part of the style.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 06:27 PM   #168
k3nj1kun

k3nj1kun pleased at least somebody

hirama is really good..
maybe too good for tokyo jihen
k3nj1kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.26, 06:35 PM   #169
justriiingo

Urm... Uki fans? *echo echo ehcho*

We're waiting.
Old 2007.06.26, 07:43 PM   #170
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

I recall the 'I like the guitar' statement by fluffie XD
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote