Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.12.07, 03:48 PM   #411
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Sports is almost as good as Adult, in my opinion. There are a couple of duds, but overall it's pretty strong stuff. And I've said it before, but Dai-Hakken could have been so much better if Track 1 was "For the Tube," if "For the Disc" didn't exist, and if the album ended with the solo Ringo track. I'm still debating whether the original Dopamint would fit the album better than the jazzy version. I burned a copy of the album with these changes and I find it so much more listenable. I think the poor choices they made for the album's opening and closing played a big part in my distaste for it.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 04:10 PM   #412
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think Sports is good, but not Adult-level good. Adult is amazing. It mixes genres and sounds and I would even say it's Ringo's 3rd most experimental album. It's really solid.
I think Sports is good music, but it isn't experimental and doesn't really mix genres except for a couple of tracks (Kimaru, Season Sayonara, Nadouteki Sanpunkan)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 04:38 PM   #413
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Mixing genres doesn't automatically make an album good.
As usual, barometers need to be properly calibrated.

>Adult
>Amazing

>Choose one
Old 2011.12.07, 04:56 PM   #414
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Jihad, I thought I heard you say once that you thought Adult was Jihen's 2nd Best Album?

Adult IS Amazing. One of the best things about it is not just the mixing of genres, but also emotions. Ringo's singing is aggressive and emotive and full of longing and desperation. It's one of her best-sung albums, at least. Songs like "Himitsu" "Kabuki" and "Kenka Joutou" are really aggressive, and Shiina's singing in "Superstar" "Yukiguni" "Tasogare Naki" and "Tegami" is really full of desperation and heartbreak. And "Yukiguni" she has the really awesome kayoukyoku wail going on.
The only bad track on Adult is Toumei Ningen, not because it's bad (it would be a good song on a pop album), but it doesn't fit Adult. It's way too poppy and upbeat. Even Blackout has a really cool sound to it.
It's jazzy and it rocks, it can be aggressive and sad (have you read the lyrics to these songs? Shiina was really genius as a lyricist for this project).
Seriously, Yukiguni alone. There is only one other Ringo song that made me have a physical emotional reaction to it on first listen. I cried at both Souretsu and Yukiguni when I first heard them.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 05:16 PM   #415
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

TurtleFu, you just convinced me to crank out Adult right now.

I don't really have a real preference between Sports and Daihakken, seeing as they're the same album IMO. Yes, I still stand by that.

If I had to choose though, I'd say Daihakken cause I haven't overplayed it as much as Sports yet.
Old 2011.12.07, 05:51 PM   #416
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Guys, I LOVE FOUL. It's the most fun Jihen song ever and so good for a workout. Malfunctioning toy robot spazzing out. I'm thinking that if they had used the Variety/Sports/Dai Hakken concept for ONE album after Adult, the 'fun' album in the discography, then I wouldn't be so down about the change in direction. I've also been playing Too Handsome a lot recently, and it's really grown on me!
I like Foul, too. The production on Sports suffers from Benkai Debussy syndrome, but Ultra C's OSCA-FOUL sequence is killer. It's always fun to hear them just wig out.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 06:11 PM   #417
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Jihad, I thought I heard you say once that you thought Adult was Jihen's 2nd Best Album?

Adult IS Amazing. One of the best things about it is not just the mixing of genres, but also emotions. Ringo's singing is aggressive and emotive and full of longing and desperation. It's one of her best-sung albums, at least. Songs like "Himitsu" "Kabuki" and "Kenka Joutou" are really aggressive, and Shiina's singing in "Superstar" "Yukiguni" "Tasogare Naki" and "Tegami" is really full of desperation and heartbreak. And "Yukiguni" she has the really awesome kayoukyoku wail going on.
The only bad track on Adult is Toumei Ningen, not because it's bad (it would be a good song on a pop album), but it doesn't fit Adult. It's way too poppy and upbeat. Even Blackout has a really cool sound to it.
It's jazzy and it rocks, it can be aggressive and sad (have you read the lyrics to these songs? Shiina was really genius as a lyricist for this project).
Seriously, Yukiguni alone. There is only one other Ringo song that made me have a physical emotional reaction to it on first listen. I cried at both Souretsu and Yukiguni when I first heard them.
Adult is their best album, but when the field is as poor as the rest of the albums are, its not praise to get carried away with. It's a very nice album with nice polish and sequencing, and good songs to boot.

Shouso Strip might be amazing, KZK is amazing. Ok Computer is amazing. Revolver is amazing. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was amazing. Amazing is stop what you're doing and listen. Amazing is change your forum icon and call your friends and wonder how the artist could ever make any other music. Amazing is defining music, and Adult just isn't there.

i'd be more articulate, but i'm gonna pass out. However, as always I ecourage the listening of more music.
Old 2011.12.07, 06:39 PM   #418
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Can someone explain why people love OK Computer so much? It sounds like the Bends smothered with sound effects almost to the point of U2ish.

I dunno, The Bends sounds stronger to me, always has.
Old 2011.12.07, 06:49 PM   #419
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Sports is almost as good as Adult, in my opinion. There are a couple of duds, but overall it's pretty strong stuff. And I've said it before, but Dai-Hakken could have been so much better if Track 1 was "For the Tube," if "For the Disc" didn't exist, and if the album ended with the solo Ringo track. I'm still debating whether the original Dopamint would fit the album better than the jazzy version. I burned a copy of the album with these changes and I find it so much more listenable. I think the poor choices they made for the album's opening and closing played a big part in my distaste for it.
THIS BASICALLY. I hate the arrangement of tracks on Dai-hakken so much that I wonder how anyone can like it over Sports (no one has given me a good answer to why this is either), and I GET SO STUPIDLY BITTER ABOUT THIS OHMYGOSH. I've thought about reorganizing the tracks myself as well.

I love Sports sfm. Sometimes I consider it my fave TJ album just because I find it so easy to listen to all the way through, and I get really into it. It just really works as a whole for me, and I know everyone hates the themes, but I feel like Sports is the MOST IN TUNE with its theme in comparison to ANY other TJ release.

ALSO, I don't care what anyone says ADULT IS AMAZING TO ME! but so is Kyouiku... and that nearly doesn't get as much love as it deserves, in my opinion, just because people get their panties in bunch over sound quality/production/blah.

/talking about anything SR/TJ-related makes me type like a giddy fool
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 06:53 PM   #420
deadgrandma

So you're saying if you switch around the tracks you like Daihakken more? What order do you put them in? I should do a test run.