Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.03.30, 08:25 PM   #81
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

If that is the real list, I kinda wish there was more pre-KZK material. But I'm certainly excited. I can't wait to get mine in the mail.

And is H part of Rockin' On Japan? If so, could we also expect this article to be in there? That's one of my favorite photoshoots so I'm hoping so.

But I have a similar item by UV for MALICE MIZER, and next to the CDs it's the single most important thing in my collection. There's just so much stuff in it. And it definitely beats trying to collect back issues of magazines.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.03.30 at 08:33 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.30, 09:09 PM   #82
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I think the list is real, because I've been trying to collect Rockin'On Japan for years before the Ringo File was announced, and the vast majority of their original Shiina Ringo coverage is post-KZK. Though I don't own quite everything yet, my Rockin'On Japan collection mostly follows that ratio.

If there was some Gb in my collection already (I'm working on it), that would pretty much fill up the pre-KZK void, because no other magazines had higher ratio of coverage for that era of Shiina Ringo than Gb did.

I don't recall H having very extensive Shiina Ringo offerings. I've only seen maybe 3 issues, and at least one of them is much later than KSK. I don't think anything from H is going to be included in the Ringo File, though that would be cool (even if not as cool as Gb). Then SWITCH has a photoshoot of Shiina Ringo every 1-4 years. Those are pretty much the only other 'big' contenders. For most other magazines you can find Shiina Ringo in - she's only appeared there once or twice.
Old 2009.03.30, 09:24 PM   #83
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

ringo file is a rockin on japan thing, so there won't be anything in it from other magazines. its all culled from their own photoshoots/articles/live reports.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.31, 02:33 AM   #84
mizer_unmei

I only mentioned it because the list posted has an issue of H listed in it (H 2003, March issue), included many articles from a magazine called "BUZZ". I'm assuming that those magazines are also part of the ROJ company.
But if they have those issues listed, I'm not sure why the Feb 2000 issue isn't.

last.fm
Old 2009.03.31, 07:13 AM   #85
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Well according to the list, if it includes anything from H at all, the collection is missing all three of the H issues I currently have:
February 2000, Vol.32
February 2006, Vol.80
March 2007, Vol.93

It would be helpful if they listed Volume numbers in addition to month/year, so we could know that they know what they're talking about.

On a sidenote, if you track her history, Shiina Ringo went on the most epic media blitz in 2003 - before and after KZK. She probably donned more kimonos in 2003 alone, than all other years combined. Anybody who thought she should have won the kimono award, had to have seen at least some of what she wore in 2003. So basically if she managed to beat out the JPop Queen and JPop Princess, then the 2003 kimono spree was successful enough that the majority of Japan must have witnessed it - not to mention they still remember it, so you know it made a strong impression. You are only going to get half of the 2003 kimono photoshoots in the Ringo File (the alternative publications are ぴあ, バリヤバ, Bounce, Brutus, Sound & Recording, Gb, Keyboard, and there could be others I simply haven't seen yet).

It should be noted that many of the publications have their own personal style for what they hope to get out of their photoshoots. In the earlier years, some of the most prominent alternatives to Rockin'On Japan were like "Rawr! Girl power!" - which I'm certainly not against looking at, but I'm just pointing out if that's the kind of vibe you want, then you are going to have to do some collecting outside of the Rockin'On Japan portfolio.
Old 2009.04.02, 11:03 AM   #86
mizer_unmei

I just got my Ringo File after the post decided they "attempted delivery" yesterday and "left a notice" [which they didn't, because I was home when they said they did].

I was first really surprised that it's a legitimate book, it's in nicely bound hardcover. I just expected, the like Malice Mizer collection I mentioned before, a reprinting of all the interviews formatted in the same way and everything on magazine quality paper and all. But here they printed the pictures on really nice paper and the interviews and reviews are on typical Japanese book thickness.

The pictures from the mentioned photoshoots aren't complete but I do love the sampling they took. (I finally have some copies of the wonderful strawberry photoshoot, and a really cute picture with her peeking out from behing a tree.) It has 3 clusters of pictures through out the book -- the first and biggest is of her photoshoots for the magazines. The second of various lives, including one from the Electric Mole Limited edition. And the 3rd is of various pictures from the Expo live. (with a nice one of her apple cutting during "Yokoshitsu".)

It's seperated into interviews - live reviews - disc reviews and a general discography and magazine source credits in the back. It's in a total of 347 pages long. I'm so excited just how much information must be contained in the whole book, but translating Japanese is soooo taxing on my psyche, so it'll take a while for me to actually go through the whole book. >.>;

Anyway, it's basically the closest I'll get to a Ringo photobook, so I'm in love with it.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.04.02 at 11:07 AM.
Old 2009.04.02, 02:08 PM   #87
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

About Ringo File and YesAsia, they now have it "available" to order, even tho it takes more than 21 days to ship and the price is higher than I expected. I wanted to buy it, but 32€ is too much for a book. Link is here.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.02, 02:16 PM   #88
Glathannus
True Final Boss

I saw that an hour ago while I was trying to do my homework in the debate with bucklemyshoe. Maybe I'd better check the temperature in hell, because I was thinking the Ringo File could never show up at YesAsia. Now we'll see if they start offering regular issues of Rockin'On Japan.
Old 2009.04.02, 02:23 PM   #89
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

mizer unmei: Thanks for that, I definitely wasn't expecting such a comprehensive book! I can't wait to get it! I've ordered it along with the single, so I'll have to wait a while. (I also ordered the two new Utada books with it, so I'm waiting for those too!)
Old 2009.04.02, 02:31 PM   #90
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I saw that an hour ago while I was trying to do my homework in the debate with bucklemyshoe. Maybe I'd better check the temperature in hell, because I was thinking the Ringo File could never show up at YesAsia. Now we'll see if they start offering regular issues of Rockin'On Japan.
Well, I'm not putting my hopes up too high, because it's a current/new release and has 21 days till shipping? Isn't it odd that they need so many time to search for a book that's probably sitting in every store (I'm exagerating, I know)? Maybe they'll update the number of days, once they get the first order and then calculate the real ammount of time it takes...

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
(I also ordered the two new Utada books with it, so I'm waiting for those too!)
Aren't those sold-out/out of print? At least that's what it says at CDJapan. And YesAsia doesn't even have them, unfortunately. I'll miss having those
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote