Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.06.22, 11:01 AM   #21
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I'd rate them: Dynamite Out > Ultra C = Bon Voyage > JCHI = Discovery = S&T
Thanks, Fluffie! I had very little interest in checking this out, but you're ranking of the lives being about the same as mine raised my interest quite a bit. Ultra C was very good and Bon Voyage is definitely worth watching if it's about the same quality.
Old 2012.06.22, 04:52 PM   #22
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Tokyo ?... Bonjour ! Haha, this concert is fantastic. Merci !
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.22, 05:45 PM   #23
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Woulda preferred less costume changes... and perhaps something a little more classy for Ringo's last outfit.
Ringo's last outfit is awesome. It's straight out of a 1930s musical (something like "Anything Goes"). It's supposed to be a little cheesy.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.22, 07:56 PM   #24
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Thanks, Fluffie! I had very little interest in checking this out, but you're ranking of the lives being about the same as mine raised my interest quite a bit. Ultra C was very good and Bon Voyage is definitely worth watching if it's about the same quality.
Chyeah, no prob dude I think it's definitely worth at least a viewing. Definitely different than their other concerts... that can be good and bad at different times, but overall it definitely keeps your interest.

Originally Posted by thefro View Post
Ringo's last outfit is awesome. It's straight out of a 1930s musical (something like "Anything Goes"). It's supposed to be a little cheesy.
Haha, then she pulled it off well :b
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.22, 08:19 PM   #25
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

We can start talking about this more in-depth?

01. Ikiru - Neat. A little too much fog, but whatever.

02. Atarashii Bunmei-kaika - While it's nice they got this obligatory performance out of the way, I like this better as an ending song.

03. Konya wa Karasawagi - If this song came out around the Variety/Sports era this would definitely be one of their anchor songs that gets performed at every concert. It's not bad, but there's nothing special here.

04. OSCA - Thanks for reminding us who you guys were, Izawa; Ringo's tired-ass megaphone was starting to give me amnesia. If Kameda wanted to make the head rub a running gag he should have done it during a different song.

05. FOUL - see title (seriously, I hate megaphones)

06. Season Sayonara - Hello dapper violin cat. They should have leveraged your talents a little better during the song, but it's nice to have you along for the ride.

07. Carnation - Scheduled costume change break already? At least the song is appropriate for taking another retrospective look at the members of Tokyo Jihen.

08. Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko - My favorite redone song of the concert. The brass section seemed the most natural here. One of two songs to benefit from the afro wig, and the backdrop highlighting the guys on playing cards was also a nice touch.

09. Kai-horrordust - This song is actually all right within the context of the concert since you know Izawa's pretty good at dragging out a song in more ways that one. A welcome surprise.

10. Honto no Tokoro - Hata's offering is by no means terrible but watching him strain during parts of his performance makes me want to clear /my/ throat.

11. sa_i_ta - Finally, Izawa gets revenge for all the times Ukigumo's upstaged him in previous concerts by setting his electric keyboard to warbling slide whistle mode. All kidding aside, this song suffers the most from a straight transition to live and should really have gotten a "sa_i_ta FOR DJ" treatment. Anything to get Ukigumo and Izawa to rap one more time.

12-13. Noudouteki / Shuraba - Interchangeable performances from previous concerts in terms of song quality, it really comes down to which costumes you like better >_>

14. Zettai Zetsumei - When I first heard the disco vibe and the orchestral part had just started, I was like "hell yeah they're dance-mixing Hatsukoi Shoujo this is so awesome and out of left field" but then I found out it was Zettai Zetsumei and was a little disappointed with my unrealistic expectations. Cute dance routine though, and this was the other song that benefitted from the afro wig. Only an over-30 Ringo could pull off this sort of performance.

15. Ice Cream no Uta - Izawa can't dance, Ukigumo tries to leverage his low volume into some sort of smoothness, Kameda gets lost in the moment too easily, and Hata sings like a nerd. For lack of a better expression... how darling?

16. Bonus Stage - So instead of Ice Climbers we have Ice Creamers. I... guess it fits, but really I'd support any excuse to sneak in short orchestral renditions of old video game music into a concert.

17. Oishii Kisetsu - Ringo should take back all of the songs she gave to Chiaki and put them on her next solo album. I loved the framework of this song but was disgusted at how Chiaki tried to pass the vocals off, so I'm more than satisfied with this performance.

18. Onna no ko etc. - Fuck these dancers.

19. Omatsurisawagi - Almost ties Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko for my personal favorite redone song this concert.

20. Tengoku e Youkoso - You're gonna /what/ and drink my life as your left shoulder strap suddenly drops? I don't know how she can make the "s" sound like an "f" at times, but excellent rendition regardless. Now if she could tap on my window too...

21-24. Capsule / Denpa / Senkou / Kachi - yawn

25. Killer Tune - Izawa's got that look that says "goddammit this orchestra is gonna cut into my tiny piano lead-in to the second part of the song"

26-28. Natteiru / Marunochi / Gunjou - see Noudouteki / Shuraba

29. Seishun no Matataki - I'm not a huge fan of the song but it's a solid performance that's better than Chiaki could ever do so that's never bad.

30. Toumei Ningen - They could have done better for an ending song. Oh, wait a minute...

31. Handsome Sugite - It's a shame they didn't actually perform this during the credit sequence because it would have been a better send-off.

B/B+ material, A- if you enjoy Ringo leg and ice cream.
Retrospective EDIT: I just realized I either wrote off or shit on a third of the concert, so it's B material maximum. Can't let myself rate it only on the aspects I really loved.

Last edited by Positron : 2012.06.24 at 03:53 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.22, 09:23 PM   #26
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Positron View Post
A- if you enjoy Ringo leg and ice cream.
There's people who don't enjoy Ringo-leg or icecream? We must lynch these freaks.
Old 2012.06.23, 03:49 AM   #27
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Ice cream on ringo's leg? Take all my money.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.23, 12:51 PM   #28
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Name:  WFPIU.png
Views: 40
Size:  271.8 KB

It's like the opposite of the Ultra C encore
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.24, 11:10 AM   #29
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm starting to see this as more of a Discovery-level concert. Thinking the orchestra takes away from it a bit. And I just rewatched parts of Ultra C... definitely prefer thattt. Definitely worth watching though!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.06.24, 02:51 PM   #30
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I, just don't understand.

Like, what happened? What happened in Ringo's brain where she somehow acts like a completely different person? I mean, I get that people change over time, but this Ringo, who does these dances in short shorts and sings cheesy and corny songs is just so different from the badass Ringo, and it's not like her songwriting is necessarily worse, but the way she presents herself is so radically different. I mean, I'm fine with Ringo EXPO which still had a lot of these theatrical elements, even though I prefer her at Ultra C levels of rock goddess, but this whole concert has got to be the cheesier trite I have watched.
With this concert, Ringo basically knocked herself down to the same level as all the other bland Japanese idol singers.

When I was complaining about this before, one of you said that I should watch it first to make judgement. I did, and it's even worse than I thought.

Now I FINALLY understand what Jihad and Maou have been talking about!!!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote